Presidency: Worse drought since 1997

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
INDRHI-Presidencia-1024x575.png

Communications spokesman of the Presidency, Homero Figueroa called the present drought the worse to affect the country since 1997.

At present, Greater Santo Domingo dwellers are feeling the drought and many condominiums have had to resort to purchasing water from tank delivery trucks. The situation also affects the rest of the country.

The Presidency reports the drought has negatively impacted the water flows of the larger dam system. The President says the normal flow at Sabana Yegua, Sabaneta, Tavera-Bao, Monción, Rincón, Hatillo, Jigüey, Valdesia, Maguaca and Chacuey dams is down 60%. “The situation is particularly critical in the Central Cibao,” said Figueroa.

Regarding the Rincón, Hatillo and Tavera-Bao dams, he indicated that they have reduced their normal water flow by an average of 85%, which, he said, affects the supply for human consumption and agricultural production...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is extremely alarming that many homes do not receive any water for weeks and when it does come homes need to have a good pump to get the water into their tinacos or cisternas. Unfortunately, it is the poor that suffer all the time and more affluent areas have a less difficult time. I do not know from where the Bavaro/Punta Cana received its water. In La Romana, el Río Chavón still has much water but very little is going into the town. Surely all Dominicans should have access to both water and electricity..not just the rich.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Water is what will eventually stop development on this island. Suggest turning your roof into a catchment system, so when it does rain you can store water.
If I were building a new house here I'd build at least a 8000 gallon cistern.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
We haven’t had one rainy day in just under 3 months. A couple of brief showers overnight, everything bone dry by morning. Our well has been a lifesaver.
We had one real rainy day and a night rain