Comedor $ VS cooking $ ?

rey

Jan 2, 2007
When it comes down to lunch time I do not mind eating a domiNican food even from the comedor ( LA BANDERA ) , in fact 9/10 times for lunch I will eat PLATO DEL DIA which anyone can buy cheap from $200 to $250 pesos at comedores all over the Dominican republic… my question to anyone of the DR1ers who cook at home which I DO NOT, with the price being so cheap $200 / $250 For Plato del dia doesn’t it make sense to NOT cook as far saving money ? I mean first you have to buy all condiments and sazones then oil and salad dressings the GAS then meat and rice and beans etc etc NOT to mention time , for that just buy plato del dia and it will come out cheaper than cooking; OF course am only assuming that it will be cheaper but you guys tell me

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
When it comes down to lunch time I do not mind eating a domiNican food even from the comedor ( LA BANDERA ) , in fact 9/10 times for lunch I will eat PLATO DEL DIA which anyone can buy cheap from $200 to $250 pesos at comedores all over the Dominican republic… my question to anyone of the DR1ers who cook at home which I DO NOT, with the price being so cheap $200 / $250 For Plato del dia doesn’t it make sense to NOT cook as far saving money ? I mean first you have to buy all condiments and sazones then oil and salad dressings the GAS then meat and rice and beans etc etc NOT to mention time , for that just buy plato del dia and it will come out cheaper than cooking; OF course am only assuming that it will be cheaper but you guys tell me
16 years posting on this site, asking the SAME questions every 4 to 5 years. Who are you that you haven't learned anything all this time? What's this, where's that, what's safe, what's dangerous, how to do this, how to do that, what's your take on this, that, where to live, how much to pay. 16 years of the same crap.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
16 years posting on this site, asking the SAME questions every 4 to 5 years. Who are you that you haven't learned anything all this time? What's this, where's that, what's safe, what's dangerous, how to do this, how to do that, what's your take on this, that, where to live, how much to pay. 16 years of the same crap.
A forum is an online discussion board where people can ask questions, share their experiences, and discuss topics of mutual interest. Forums are an excellent way to create social connections and a sense of community. They can also help you to cultivate an interest group about a particular subject.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
A forum is an online discussion board where people can ask questions, share their experiences, and discuss topics of mutual interest. Forums are an excellent way to create social connections and a sense of community. They can also help you to cultivate an interest group about a particular subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Simple solution, do not respond. I'm in the ignore-mode already

Reactions: Peterj

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
NO, not cooking makes no sense if you want to eat decent. Thanks for asking.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

AM NOT THE ONE ! Get your game up
You can learn a lot from what you posted here. Read each and every word of the definition as stated. Then take a deep breath and and see your role in the "community". BTW it's an excellent definition.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Try pedidosya.com.do and have food delivered to your door.

Here in San Cristobal I have access to 94 different food sources, imagine how many there are in SD!

Reactions: Liberator

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
When it comes down to lunch time I do not mind eating a domiNican food even from the comedor ( LA BANDERA )
What an arrogant thing to say.
No doubt your Dominican friends (assuming you actually have any)
have the up most respect for you.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Rey, you previously started a thread about the same subject:

RICE , BEANS , & CHICKEN ( la bandera )​

Reactions: chico bill

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Comedor food is good value - that's why many regular working people eat there. And I don't think it's too unhealthy as long as you have the salad or vegetables with your chicken, rice and beans. As for whether it's better value than cooking at home - it really depends what you cook.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I am back and forth with this I find you have to be very careful where you eat out if you don't want to get sick when I am eating healthy I always eat home the price is cheaper if you eat home but then again you're doing the work I would say I eat home 5 days a week and out two..the other night ate noah i got sick to my stomach eating their salmon barf bag was needed first time in over 100x times eating there

Reactions: La Profe_1

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I am back and forth with this I find you have to be very careful where you eat out if you don't want to get sick when I am eating healthy I always eat home the price is cheaper if you eat home but then again you're doing the work I would say I eat home 5 days a week and out two..the other night ate noah i got sick to my stomach eating their salmon barf bag was needed first time in over 100x times eating there
Do yourself a favor and forget Noah. Years ago when they opened I knew someone that worked there. He said some dishes are cooked and later heated up, and some much later. That is all I had to hear to avoid this place...................Stick to Punto Italia........

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Rice and beans whether they're red or occasionally black and guandules are easy and cheap to buy, store and quick to prepare. They only need a few items to add to their cooking and those are cheap and store easily too. Salads? No biggie. It's the meat. I've seen minimal hygiene done by meatcutters so I'd rather avoid the buying process. Then there's the transportation and storage factor. Then the cooking process with the meat prep, seasoning, utensils, gas and cleanup. Ugh. So I frequent several comedores and tell them, gimme doscientos of this and doscientos of that. They usually have pollo, cerdo and rey prepared a couple different ways and each comedor fixes stuff a bit differently. I love cooking and love Dominican food but I don't have the time each day to master the meat.

Reactions: rey

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Rice and beans whether they're red or occasionally black and guandules are easy and cheap to buy, store and quick to prepare. They only need a few items to add to their cooking and those are cheap and store easily too. Salads? No biggie. It's the meat. I've seen minimal hygiene done by meatcutters so I'd rather avoid the buying process. Then there's the transportation and storage factor. Then the cooking process with the meat prep, seasoning, utensils, gas and cleanup. Ugh. So I frequent several comedores and tell them, gimme doscientos of this and doscientos of that. They usually have pollo, cerdo and rey prepared a couple different ways and each comedor fixes stuff a bit differently. I love cooking and love Dominican food but I don't have the time each day to master the meat.
That's why they cook the living daylights out of everything. Kills everything that will harm ya.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

rey

Jan 2, 2007
Good input