No foam or single-use plastics on Saona and Catalina islands

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Prohiben-plasticos-en-Saona-Ministerio-Medio-Ambiente-1024x684.png

Environment Minister invited actress Nashla Bogaert and film director Jose Maria Cabral (Island of Plastics documentary), two local film stars active in conservation, to the signing of the order that bans foam and single-user plastics from Saona Island (Cotubanamá National Park) and Catalina Island in La Altagracia and La Romana provinces.

The Ministry of Environment signed Resolution 0024-2023 on Saturday, 28 May 2023 in Mano Juan Beach of Saona, marking the new effort for the sustainability of the protected areas in the Cotubanamá National Park and Catalina Island. The resolution establishes that tour operators or beach concessionaires that violate the no plastics rule will have their licenses, authorizations or concession contracts revoked or suspended.

Resolution 0024-2023 establishes that within 60 days and with the participation of local...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Now if they made the rule apply to all of DR.
I see is every day. Dominicans and Haitians just drop their styrofoam and plastic bag and pop bottle container wherever they are even if it is steps to a trash container. Go to Sosua Beach on a Sunday and just watch as groups depart and leave piles of trash where they sat.
Yesterday an EdeNorte contractor replaced a pole in out neighbohorhhod and left styrofoam and plastic bottles where they had lunch, even though my trash container was 30' away.
Yet N. Americans and Europeans will hang on to their trash for however long it takes to get it into a trash container.
It is a major reason many tourists that come here laugh at DR as an eco-tourism location.
Ecology in DR means burning the trash piles

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Every single time I return to the DR (once or twice a year) it’s a shock to see the piles of garbidge everywhere. After five or six weeks I am sick of it and go back to Belgium or Tenerife.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
The DR still has a very long way to go as far as dealing with garbage disposal but I will say that in the 20 years I have lived here, I have seen some change. However, the government have not made this a priority and no matter where you go, you will always see garbage strewed around. The amount of times I see someone open their car door and dump a bag of garbage on the side of the road, a moto concho rider toss their Styrofoam cups, or someone walking down the street tossing garbage is still so shocking. Lack of education at schools and on TV regarding preservation of the environment plays a big part in ignorance but common sense, or lack of it, is the main culprit.
In many countries they have gone from one extreme to the other and people get fined for not separating their garbage before putting it out to be collected, could you imagine that happening here? But in those countries, the environment is so much healthier due to strict regulations.
When you have a country like here that has zero regulations as opposed to zero tolerance, then the problem will persists from generation to generation.
Banning single use plastics is a no brainer in a country that has a habit of tossing garbage on the ground instead of the garbage cans. But even still, the garbage that goes into the cans ends up in the land fills and then buried and at times burned, which does not help either. Very little gets recycled here although you are starting to see more and more recycle deposits. More and more people are starting to toss garbage in the correct manner but there is so much more that needs to be done.
The DR is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I have been to 92 countries and still find the DR one of the most beautiful and for me it is my home. I hope that one day in the future the population will realize how special their country is and respect it more than they are now. Please note that I am not just referring to Dominicans regarding tossing garbage, I have seen gringos and Haitians do exactly the same......

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
That would be a start, educating on garbage not only telling them what to do but why to do it and tell them to spread the word.
As long as they see their father burning garbage and plastics in the patio it won’t change.

Bluenoser

Feb 26, 2019
Education has to start with the younger people.
The saying of can't teach an old dog new tricks holds true.
Cultural habits are passed down through the generations.
In Nova Scotia, likely in other places too, there is a campaign called Idle Free For Me.
Children in the lower grades at school are educated on the harmful effects to the air from vehicles idling.
A parent will pay no mind to advertizing about this, but when their child asks them to shut the engine off while waiting to pick them up from school they'll listen.