DOMINICAN DRIVERS LICENSED ACCEPTED IN NYC 🇺🇸

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Huge? I have used my Dominican Driving license to rent cars ALL over the World. And stopped by Police in the US also. It is just as good as your US one. In fact maybe better. At Miami airport I was with a friend who lived in Florida and wanted to rent a car. They said he needs to show documentation from Electric, phone, or similar. I took out my third World DR license and asked if I can rent a car. Answer was YES. Go figure that out.....................

Reactions: JD Jones

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Just curious...if you are visiting for a couple of months (or more) would the DR license still be considered valid? Can someone drive on a DR license indefinitely? Does it affect insurance coverage after a certain amount of time?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Huge? I have used my Dominican Driving license to rent cars ALL over the World. And stopped by Police in the US also. It is just as good as your US one. In fact maybe better. At Miami airport I was with a friend who lived in Florida and wanted to rent a car. They said he needs to show documentation from Electric, phone, or similar. I took out my third World DR license and asked if I can rent a car. Answer was YES. Go figure that out.....................
Many years ago, when in the Canadian military we flew to Florida on a P3 Orion aircraft, and the pilot and copilot were not able to rent a car because both of them were under 25. Talk about blown egos, able to fly a 20-million-dollar aircraft but unable to rent a car due to age. Yea, we let them forget about that, not. I have rented cars in Canada, the USA, and Spain using my Dominican Driver's license.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Same here. Never have had a problem renting a car with a DR license.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
While renting a car in southern France I gave my DR license to the Avis guy and he looks at both sides and asked if I had another license, showed him one from the US and he said he preferred that, i didnt ask why, I'm sure he would have accepted the DR version had I not had another. Next time I'll ask..

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Just curious...if you are visiting for a couple of months (or more) would the DR license still be considered valid? Can someone drive on a DR license indefinitely? Does it affect insurance coverage after a certain amount of time?
As an analogy, I can tell you that NYS has a history of accepting out-of-state driver's licenses.

I attended college in NYS and drove there on my home state's license. After graduation and my wedding, I began living there full time. I was told that I had 30 days to convert my license to a New York one. Also, they required me to surrender my previous license.

I wonder if the same rules will apply to Dominicans in NYC.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
As an analogy, I can tell you that NYS has a history of accepting out-of-state driver's licenses.

I attended college in NYS and drove there on my home state's license. After graduation and my wedding, I began living there full time. I was told that I had 30 days to convert my license to a New York one. Also, they required me to surrender my previous license.

I wonder if the same rules will apply to Dominicans in NYC.
Why would NYC change their policy now? If you're a NYC resident (legal) you must have a NY State DL. Even then, they still drive like they live here. Adding throwing trash out of a moving vehicle. You know like a big Mac box or a super size coke cup. If NYC accepts a Dominican DL, even for 30 days, you may as well throw out any traffic laws!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
My response to this would be deleted bc of TOS on DR1 regarding politics in the USA.But members here will know and understand why this is NOT new or HUGE.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I will tell you another perk of a DR license in the US. Macy's 10% discount on anything in the store. Actually any foreign ID will do. But the license is what I use................

International and domestic visitors can save 10% when shopping at Macy's.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
I will tell you another perk of a DR license in the US. Macy's 10% discount on anything in the store. Actually any foreign ID will do. But the license is what I use................

POLO Ralph Lauren COLOGNE !

THE GREEN BOTTLE

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

nice you save the tax in NYC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't see anything new either. Just a story for no good reason.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
While renting a car in southern France I gave my DR license to the Avis guy and he looks at both sides and asked if I had another license, showed him one from the US and he said he preferred that, i didnt ask why, I'm sure he would have accepted the DR version had I not had another. Next time I'll ask..
The Dominican driver's license is in Spanish while the US driver licenses are in English. Should had asked him in Spanish how great is his understanding of the language.

This is similar to being stopped by INTRANT and giving the officer a US driver's license. 90%of the time they don't know what it says.

Last edited:

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas

I've never heard of this. Why the discount?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The Dominican driver's license is in Spanish while the US driver licenses are in English. Should had asked him in Spanish how great is his understanding of the language.

This is similar to being stopped by INTRANT and giving the officer a US driver's license. 90%of the time they don't know what it says.
Any idiot can figure out it is a foreign driving license without knowing Spanish. And when you rent a car they swipe it like a Passport...................I gave it to a cop in Palm Beach and the only question he asked me was if everyone drove like I do over there. Let me go with a warning...............

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My number one reason for originally becoming a legal resident in the DR was to be able to get a driver's license since California would not keep sending me new licenses when I didn't live there any more. Unlike some US states, you have to be a legal resident in the DR to get a license while some US locales let illegal aliens get licenses.

As far as the OP, nothing new here. Just a couple of people getting their pictures taken.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I use my DR license in NY state
The car is reg’d to my daughter
Never get a ticket just a chat and a warning ⛔️

Status
Not open for further replies.