Abinader: Baní highway to be expanded in 2025

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Carretera-Bani-Diario-Libre-1024x662.png

President Luis Abinader announced during the Monday press meeting on 1 April 2024, government plans to expand the San Cristobal-Baní Sanchez highway to double its size, or to four lanes in each direction. The expansion would be from Baní to the entrance to the San Jose de Ocoa intersection, and in the future all the way to Azua. The funds would be included in the 2025 National Budget.

The President says all the new developments to the west of Santo Domingo will demand a better road connection.

“All the projects that are being carried out for the South are going to increase [the flow of vehicles],” Abinader explained in LA Semanal con la Prensa.

President Abinader expects the Baní ringroad to be completed by the end of 2024. The ringroad will reduce travel time to the west by about a half an hour. The San Cristobal and Azua (completed in February 2023) bypasses are open...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
And still nothing in the north....one highway stretches all the way along the north coast which is in pretty good condition but we have seen very little attention especially in the areas east of Puerto Plata such as Sosua and Cabarete. None of the promises came true such as the Amber Highway or the much needed Cabarete ring road. I will say that the roads to Santiago (the Navarette road, the Turistica and the road to Moca) are fantastic and a big improvement but attention needs to be given to the one highway that exists on the north coast.

Reactions: cavok

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
And still nothing in the north....one highway stretches all the way along the north coast which is in pretty good condition but we have seen very little attention especially in the areas east of Puerto Plata such as Sosua and Cabarete. None of the promises came true such as the Amber Highway or the much needed Cabarete ring road. I will say that the roads to Santiago (the Navarette road, the Turistica and the road to Moca) are fantastic and a big improvement but attention needs to be given to the one highway that exists on the north coast.
I'm guessing you won't see anything happen to that highway until they figure out what they are going to do with Cabarete

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Four lanes in each direction or four lanes in total with two lanes in each direction?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Already 2 lanes each direction. For decades.
That’s arriving to Baní from San Cristóbal, but what I’m getting from the OP is that the expansion will be from Baní to the intersection to Ocoa Rd. That’s on the other side that hasn’t been expanded. I think it leads to confusion because it first says “San Cristóbal - Baní Highway,” but if the expansion will be from Baní to the Ocoa Rd intersect, it should say “Baní - Azua Highway.” o_O

The Bsní bypass I think will be like Azua’s, two lanes total (one lane in each direction.) People will go from a four lane highway to a two lane bypass and then continue in a four land highway again. Why not make the entire trajectory four lanes? Aah, the DR.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Four lanes in each direction? How can there be that much traffic down there? There's not even four lanes in each direction between SD and Santiago.

Reactions: CristoRey
Nov 9, 2023
SC
You can clearly see the route of the bypass south-west of Bani on google maps. Hard to tell the amount of lanes though.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You can clearly see the route of the bypass south-west of Bani on google maps. Hard to tell the amount of lanes though.

It’s 2024 and they are still not done. According to that article, it was suppose to be completed by Sept 2022. I know, I know…. Cabarete people are probably thinking “at least they are getting a beltway.” That’s not the point Cabarete people. If the Cabarete beltway is ever built, it too might be of two lanes total.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

It’s 2024 and they are still not done. According to that article, it was suppose to be completed by Sept 2022. I know, I know…. Cabarete people are probably thinking “at least they are getting a beltway.” That’s not the point Cabarete people. If the Cabarete beltway is ever built, it too might be of two lanes total.
Two lanes would be fine. At least it would keep all the trucks, busses, and traffic that is not destined for Cabarete from driving though the center of town.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Four lanes in each direction? How can there be that much traffic down there? There's not even four lanes in each direction between SD and Santiago.
Tons of traffic on that route. Tons of accidents too.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Tons of traffic on that route. Tons of accidents too.

The road is in terrible condition. Between SD and San Cristobal, there are so many accidents and so many huge holes in that road, it's seriously dangerous.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
I have to cross the 6 often from San Cristobal centre to calle La Cruz and its my most fearsome place in dominican traffic. Always chaos there, local traffic crossing 4 lanes of 100kmph idiots.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
O

On Hwy 6? I've been on that route from SD west to the circumnavigación many times mid-day and it was smooth sailing(?).
SD to the circumnavigation is just a small section with a few bad spots. Out past San Cris is where it gets really dicey.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In 0:48 Abinader mentions the expansion between Baní and the Cruce de Ocoa. He mentions expanding the road to “cuatro vías” and then in the future the stretch Cruce de Ocoa to Azua will have to be expanded to “cuatro vías” as well. With “cuatro vías” he meant four lanes total, not four lanes in each direction. The expansion of the Baní - Cruce de Ocoa stretch will be put in tender in 2025.

The way he says that is as if the engineering plan for this expansion are already done and he has seen it.