1 AM Attack At STI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Last night an arriving visitor was picked up at STI by a taxi from Sosua

He was picked up about 1am and they started back to Sosua

When a car appeared to be following them they first thought it was another new arrival, but then the car pulled alongside and man with a gun started firing. He had chances to shoot them but fired only at the wheels

The driver used all the driving tricks he knew and finally eluded the pursuer and made it safely back to the airport where he spent the night. The tourist bought a ticket and went back to the US

At least 2 shots struck the wheels, one hit the rim of one wheel and another the mud flap of a rear wheel.

I recall in the past when this was a serious problem on the access road of Santo Domingo airport, but this is the first time I have heard of it at STI.

These middle of the night flights from the US are popular

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Thats not good. My son flies into STI a lot, especially when he is going to stay at my in-laws when he comes. His flights out of the East Coast always come late/middle of the night. Hopefully what happened to this tourist is not the beginning of something new. Sorry about what happened to the tourist.

Reactions: Grampa

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Can;t find any news about this incident, please post source of the news.

JJ

Reactions: zoomzx11

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Can;t find any news about this incident, please post source of the news.

JJ
Where would you expct to find news about this in the Dominican Republic?
Thats not good. My son flies into STI a lot, especially when he is going to stay at my in-laws when he comes. His flights out of the East Coast always come late/middle of the night. Hopefully what happened to this tourist is not the beginning of something new. Sorry about what happened to the tourist.
Yes, my concern, too, that is it might increase. I recall when this was happening at the Santo Domingo airport the police had to post patrol cars on the access road. My sense is that it is early days because the driver didn't get suspicious immediately, until the shooting started.

Reactions: Grampa

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Yes, my concern, too, that is it might increase. I recall when this was happening at the Santo Domingo airport the police had to post patrol cars on the access road. My sense is that it is early days because the driver didn't get suspicious immediately, until the shooting started.
Site your source.
This would make international headlines. My neighbor is a night shift taxi driver here in STI and does airport runs all the time. I'll ask him about this in the morning.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007

Example: Jose Gutierrez comunicaciones, if something happens in Santiago I am 99.9% sure that will be in on Jose Gutierrez TV / radio talk show or on his page.

JJ

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Site your source.
This would make international headlines. My neighbor is a night shift taxi driver here in STI and does airport runs all the time. I'll ask him about this in the morning.
It happened, and I can site my source, including the name of the Sosua driver who I am sure some of you know

But it is interesting to me to see that people think that that what may be the first incident in the the middle of the night, last night, would have been picked up by the New York Times and turned into an international incident. i guess I have lived too long in the Dominican Republic

Reactions: Grampa and Auryn

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Those early Jet Blue flights of my dreams, I drove tourist people over the mountains road for years.

I am thankful other than bad weather conditions during storm season never had not issues.

Drove safely back and forth from STI to the North shores of DR for years.

JJ

Reactions: Tamborista

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It happened, and I can site my source, including the name of the Sosua driver who I am sure some of you know

But it is interesting to me to see that people think that that what may be the first incident in the the middle of the night, last night, would have been picked up by the New York Times and turned into an international incident. i guess I have lived too long in the Dominican Republic
That's the thing, it isn't the first time it happens at STI. Dominican media has commented for years that some travellers through STI were getting robbed as they left the airport. This may be new to you, but I think any Dominican has heard of similar stories through the years.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

I'm not accusing you of making this up but I've lived here 10 yrs and it's been my experience gun play/ shootings involving tourist makes the news.

I'm going to ask my neighbor who lives downstairs about it in the morning as he picks up and drops off passengers at the STI airport several times a week.

Reactions: melphis

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
With not much effort videos appear of people robbed at STI. Of course, all are Dominican victims and in Spanish.

6 months ago a guy was robbed at the parking lot of STI.

6 years ago a gang dedicated to robbing arriving passengers at STI was dismantled.

About 2 years ago an arriving family was robbed on their way out of STI.

In 2012 several Dominican passengers complain of being victims of robbery while arriving through STI.

This has been happening for years. Perhaps you didn't know about it since most people arrive and leave with no issue. These crimes are quite random.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
With not much effort videos appear of people robbed at STI. Of course, all are Dominican victims and in Spanish.

6 months ago a guy was robbed at the parking lot of STI.

6 years ago a gang dedicated to robbing arriving passengers at STI was dismantled.

About 2 years ago an arriving family was robbed on their way out of STI.

In 2012 several Dominican passengers complain of being victims of robbery while arriving through STI.

This has been happening for years. Perhaps you didn't know about it since most people arrive and leave with no issue. These crimes are quite random.
My worry is that it could be more than a one time thing, like the gang they broke up at STI 6 years ago and the one they broke up at Santo Domingo

Reactions: Antiguo

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Yes it can happen anywhere, I am aware of my personal and family safety every time I land at STI at night. When I was driving tourist to Puerto Plata at night most of time agreed with another driver to look after each other for safety during the trip.

Hire experience drivers, please ask your driver to maintain discretion of your arrivals and departure schedule.
I don't tell nobody when I am arriving,only my daughter knows.

JJ

aarhus

On vacation
Jun 10, 2008
Yes it can happen anywhere, I am aware of my personal and family safety every time I land at STI at night. When I was driving tourist to Puerto Plata at night most of time agreed with another driver to look after each other for safety during the trip.

Hire experience drivers, please ask your driver to maintain discretion of your arrivals and departure schedule.
I don't tell nobody when I am arriving,only my daughter knows.

JJ
I am the same with specific date and time of when traveling.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Other than safety I learned that letting people know when you are traveling they will ask for all kind of favors especially if you are Dominican.

I have no room in my suitcase for anything else than my personal items.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Santiago taxi mafia?
Other than territory protection there is not mafia at STI, all the drivers in the union are screened very well, I know personally most of them as they have serve over there more than 20 years.
Do you have an idea how much is a Medallion at STI?

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Those taxi drivers are the one that the air lines trust to deliver your suit cases when they don't arrive at the same with you for any reason, just happened to me during my last trip.
My carry on was delivered to my house in Santiago by a STI cab.

I used to do this service too back in the days.

JJ

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Why not just let the member post the story as he heard or understood it.?.Clearly it is not worth a Spanish inquisition. Take the story as a warning this has happened in the past and may or may not happen in the future. :cool:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm not accusing you of making this up but I've lived here 10 yrs and it's been my experience gun play/ shootings involving tourist makes the news.

I'm going to ask my neighbor who lives downstairs about it in the morning as he picks up and drops off passengers at the STI airport several times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.