1 AM Attack At STI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The driver reported the attack to the police at the airport and also to the police patrol seen near the airport. They took the information and and immediately passed it on by radio

The taxi drivers in Sosua will be holding a news conference in Sosua this morning to make the information public and will be publishing it on various TV programs in the country

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm not accusing you of making this up but I've lived here 10 yrs and it's been my experience gun play/ shootings involving tourist makes the news.

I'm going to ask my neighbor who lives downstairs about it in the morning as he picks up and drops off passengers at the STI airport several times a week.

Why not just let the member post the story as he heard or understood it.?.Clearly it is not worth a Spanish inquisition. Take the story as a warning this has happened in the past and may or may not happen in the future. :cool:
Yes, it was very interesting the reaction. You are given "breaking news" and doubt it because the world doesn't already know.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes, it was very interesting the reaction. You are given "breaking news" and doubt it because the world doesn't already know.
You are in the know for sure.
You obtained some "breaking news"
Congratulations!
We look forward to hearing more explosive reporting from you in the future???

I still find this a little strange I've not yet seen anything in the press. Perhaps out of fear it this incident icfnugk up their bottom line Collado is pressuring these media companies not to publish this story.

I know how fast news like this travels and I've still not seen or heard anything about it online. Very strange indeed.

Haven't had a chance to speak with my neighbor yet but as soon as I do will I certainly post his response.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You are in the know for sure.
Congratulations!
We look forward to hearing more explosive reporting from you in the future???

I still find this a little strange I've not yet seen anything in the press. Perhaps out of fear it this incident icfnugk up their bottom line Collado is pressuring these media companies not to publish this story.

I know how fast news like this travels and I've still not seen or heard anything about it online. Very strange indeed.

Haven't had a chance to speak with my neighbor yet but as soon as I do will I certainly post his response.
Just exactly what are you insinuating:

"You are in the know for sure.
Congratulations!
We look forward to hearing more explosive reporting from you in the future???"

My impression of you has declined steadily the more you talk.

News is written after someone reports it, that seems obvious to me. Did you expect the taxi driver to call a press conference after being shot at in the middle of the night?

Did you expect the police to whom it was reported to immediately call a press conference. I am sure they were concerned but to them a couple of shots in the night that did no damage is hardly earth shaking news.

I am sure the news gatherers were not on the airport access road to in the middle of the night looking for scoops

Things get on the internet because it is gotten from the news or it is reported by someone like me. Does everyone who gives the first report go through an interrogation because something that happened a few hours earlier in the middle of the night is not front page on the New York Times?

Now there is also your taxi driver friend, we are waiting with bated breath to see what he has to say.

This post may break a DR1 rule or two, but I have had my full of this attempt to pose as the truth checker

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
One thing needing correction is is he location. It was not the access road. The driver says that it happened more or less 5 kilometers from Saniago's airport.

He was still in the city, driving by the faster road to come by the old road that was renovated. The highway there is very lonely, there are no houses or anything.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
To the question of whether or not this incident made the local press, I called a friend in Licey today and she said she hadn't heard anything on the news or from her neighbors. She also said that such an occurrence wouldn't be anything new. That is perhaps the saddest part.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
To the question of whether or not this incident made the local press, I called a friend in Licey today and she said she hadn't heard anything on the news or from her neighbors. She also said that such an occurrence wouldn't be anything new. That is perhaps the saddest part.
What makes you think that a few shots are fired on a highway in Santiago, no one hurt should be a news story in Licey no less.....................

Reactions: Antiguo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Just exactly what are you insinuating:

"You are in the know for sure.
Congratulations!
We look forward to hearing more explosive reporting from you in the future???"

My impression of you has declined steadily the more you talk.

News is written after someone reports it, that seems obvious to me. Did you expect the taxi driver to call a press conference after being shot at in the middle of the night?

Did you expect the police to whom it was reported to immediately call a press conference. I am sure they were concerned but to them a couple of shots in the night that did no damage is hardly earth shaking news.

I am sure the news gatherers were not on the airport access road to in the middle of the night looking for scoops

Things get on the internet because it is gotten from the news or it is reported by someone like me. Does everyone who gives the first report go through an interrogation because something that happened a few hours earlier in the middle of the night is not front page on the New York Times?

Now there is also your taxi driver friend, we are waiting with bated breath to see what he has to say.

This post may break a DR1 rule or two, but I have had my full of this attempt to pose as the truth checker.
100% agreed and I am surprised by the amount of time it is taking for this incident to make the news... that's all I'm saying.
Again, I am not accusing you of fabricating this story but I find it very odd nothing has been posted online (that I have seen) almost 36 hours later.
I don't read the NYTimes.

Typically when there are shots fired at a tourist it makes national headlines immediately and sometimes international headlines shortly thereafter.
www.gentetuya.com (jose gutierrez productions) reports on all things Santiago/ Cibao and does a darn good job of covering what goes on around here. Nothing reported.
www.sosuanews.com, nothing about taxi drivers telling this story.

Didn't mean to get under skin or offend you so relax, was just having a little fun while enjoying a cup of coffee earlier.

Crime, especially robberies are way up. This incident would have a negative impact on late night flights.
I am wondering if this is why we have not seen anything/ nothing about it in the news online.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
some would think the bodies are piling up in the street. It just aint the case. Its more dangerous to cross the street and get hit by a moto or car.

Reactions: drstock

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
One thing needing correction is is he location. It was not the access road. The driver says that it happened more or less 5 kilometers from Santiago's airport.

He was still in the city, driving by the faster road to come by the old road that was renovated. The highway there is very lonely, there are no houses or anything.
Ken , is the taxi driver from Sosua a licensed taxi service that is known by the Taxi Mafia for picking up arrivals/departures at STI?
I ask this because I have just received 2 WhatsApp messages from my Uber drivers that I wanted to use again in Santiago in the next few days/nights. Both of them said they will not be going to STI for any arrivals after 6pm. As far as going there for drop offs, no issue as far as I can see and have experienced in the past.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken , is the taxi driver from Sosua a licensed taxi service that is known by the Taxi Mafia for picking up arrivals/departures at STI?
I ask this because I have just received 2 WhatsApp messages from my Uber drivers that I wanted to use again in Santiago in the next few days/nights. Both of them said they will not be going to STI for any arrivals after 6pm. As far as going there for drop offs, no issue as far as I can see and have experienced in the past.
He is a licensed driver in the taxi association in Sosua. I don't know what you are getting at, but he does go to STI a lot. We use him for renters at El Neptuno We have a lot of renters, especially from Abb, and many of them come and go through STI

Did the Uber drivers give you an explanation?

Reactions: Grampa
Status
Not open for further replies.