1 AM Attack At STI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
As usual, we have those in the know Vs the "Know it alls", this was a set up, thanks Ken, thanks J.J.
I'll continue to get get my driver referrals from J.J. .

Reactions: bachata

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
A LOT of crime is somehow a inside job. Somebody you know mentions something to someone else, next thing you know you get robbed. The less people that know your plans the better, even family. Need to know basis.
Ok I am glad I can tell family about my travel plans

Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
As usual, we have those in the know Vs the "Know it alls", this was a set up, thanks Ken, thanks J.J.
I'll continue to get get my driver referrals from J.J. .
My long time Friend, Querido Tambo.

JJ

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
so the source is a story, an anecdote?
I see I created your question. No, the source is the driver. If you have stayed at El Neptuno good chance you rode with him from one of the airports. Herman (German in Spanish) Garcia.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Above is right. Also anyone working in the airport can make a cell call when a nice "mark" comes in. Just a bad idea to save money on middle of the night flights....................
Nothing that's been posted (other than free speach allows us to see who the idiots are) regarding this incident makes much sense.

For the third and final time, I am not accusing Ken of fabricating this story but let me just say this. I have a neighbor living in my building who has been a taxi driver here in Santiago at night for the last six years. He picks up and drops off at STI about 10 times a week. He also has a cousin who works in STI customs.

I asked him about this a few minutes ago..

His response?
Told me no. Didn't happen and if it ever did happen as stated, involving a tourist, regardless of which airport highway or time of day, it would make national headlines.

Again, not calling this fella a liar but I'm not getting my info from someone who doesn't have clue what he's talking about either.

Reactions: melphis and jd426

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I was also told there are additional police patrols going on around the airport this time of year in order to prevent these same types of crimes from happening.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The few times I've caught one of those flights I stayed in a cabaña then caught the early bus. Cheaper than a taxi back then and safer even if less convenient. Since then I fly into the closest airport and treat the added flight cost, if there is one, as the price for convenience, and now safety.
That's the RIGHT Move in this Scenario , and the Cabanas are pretty close .

I agree with prev posters that this sounds like a setup, not some random shooting involving a Tourist who just got off the place .. . Leaving STI at 3 am I would have absolutely no concern that some random car is going to start shooing at my Taxi's Tires . that is just ridiculous .. I refuse to live in Fear like t hat . there is a lot more to this story . not on page 4 yet , maybe someone already found it .

Reactions: Big

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I have a question ?
Did the " Shooter" flatten any of the tires ? or did all the Shots MISS ?
. cuz the driver drove all the way back to the Airport , no ?

maybe someone was sending a message . and the guy obviously took the next plane home , so message received .

interesting story , none the less .. but kind of odd

and I have ZERO " inner circle " knowledge , nor am I arguing with anyone

thanks for bringing it to us

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I love these threads, its similar to the old fat guy who brings a young honey back to his casa de particular and is shocked when he gets robbed 2 days later

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
Just logged in first time since since last week . I flew in to STI that Thurs evening (actually 3 am Fri) and I can verify that everyone at the airport was talking about this incident.

I don't know whats the full details of the shooting incident, but the POLITUR at STI was telling the drivers to be careful as they picked up passengers. My taxi driver of 14 years, knew another taxi driver from Sosua who was heading back after dropping off a pasenger and he waited until I arrived so he wouldnt have to go alone. We went in tandem the tourist route.

I wish I had paid more attention to give more info, but to be honest I hear so many things that at times I pay them no mine. I didn't question or ask for more details, just fell asleep in the taxi the whole way

Now that I think about it, it may give me pause to use STI next time, it had been nearly a year since I used STI as lately it's been all POP with me travelling less because of the Covid pandemia.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
inside job for sure..... I only fly arrive here in the day time and still dont tell anyone....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One thing needing correction is is he location. It was not the access road. The driver says that it happened more or less 5 kilometers from Saniago's airport.

He was still in the city, driving by the faster road to come by the old road that was renovated. The highway there is very lonely, there are no houses or anything.
At that time of the night it doesn't matter which road is used to go from Santiago to Puerto Plta. You will feel like you're the only one on any road in the country.

Reactions: Ken and David B
Status
Not open for further replies.