10-day Amnesty/Grace Period - Update

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
why was there no advanced notice ? you think they would have given at least to the new year to start the process, why do they want people to panick , it could have been handled a lot better.

End of last year there were a lot of rumors about everything that was going to change, and that it wouldn't get any easier. That some foreigners prefer to understand that it won't be an issue, while this is DR, is their problem. When in november last year I started a thread wondering about the changes to come a typical reaction was: dont worry about it, this is DR, everything will stay the same. Happily I did 'worry' and started getting my permanent residence, seems that many of us became so aplatana'o that we leave everything for the very last moment.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
A rumor is a rumer ,I never heard anything official ! If the transport unions were going on strike it would be on all the news networks, I guess foreighners that spend money here arn't that important ?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A rumor is a rumer ,I never heard anything official ! If the transport unions were going on strike it would be on all the news networks, I guess foreighners that spend money here arn't that important ?

There we go again with the 'foreigners that spend money' story. What do you compare yourself with? If you compare yourself with the low-class dominican that earns less than 30,000 pesos a month you are probably a big spending foreigner. Now compare yourself to the average middle class dominican and they will outspend you any month / every month. Dominican Republic doesn't need you (or me). They prefer the (not spending) tourists that come for 10 or 20 days on a resort, not for the pennies they spend in the tourist shops or the tips they give but for maintaining an industry that has a long chain of supply going through the whole economy.

The big spenders in this country are the local middle and high class that drive new jeepetas, go to the supermarket and come back with 3 carts full of stuff, eat out 2 nights per week (not in Wendy's), not the residing foreigner who thinks in economy when buying a car, makes a list before going to the supermarket and buys ofertas. Eats out once a month (and doesn't tip). Once again DR doesn't need us. We are just 'allowed' to be here and lately a little bit less allowed (and better so).

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I go through 30,000 pesos in a week ,were do you get this B.S from and I've been doing it for many years. don't give me that here we go again B.S.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There we go again with the 'foreigners that spend money' story. What do you compare yourself with? If you compare yourself with the low-class dominican that earns less than 30,000 pesos a month you are probably a big spending foreigner. Now compare yourself to the average middle class dominican and they will outspend you any month / every month. Dominican Republic doesn't need you (or me). They prefer the (not spending) tourists that come for 10 or 20 days on a resort, not for the pennies they spend in the tourist shops or the tips they give but for maintaining an industry that has a long chain of supply going through the whole economy.

The big spenders in this country are the local middle and high class that drive new jeepetas, go to the supermarket and come back with 3 carts full of stuff, eat out 2 nights per week (not in Wendy's), not the residing foreigner who thinks in economy when buying a car, makes a list before going to the supermarket and buys ofertas. Eats out once a month (and doesn't tip). Once again DR doesn't need us. We are just 'allowed' to be here and lately a little bit less allowed (and better so).

That kind of thinking is why in the DR the poor are very poor. The people need all the help they can get, if you start believing in the thought process of the government then you aren't helping to push the nobodies even further to the back of the shelve, which in my opinion is unhealthy thinking.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

You need some money to buy some groceries, sugar?

SHALENA

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

Many countries try to attract foreigners, both expats and retirees for the influx of capital into the country. They offer flexable visas and entry conditions to make it easier for these people. According to you....this is not needed in the DR...there is plenty of cash flowing in the country and foreign investment is not nessessary. According to you the only expats in the country are misers. I guess the country does not need the $1000 a week that I spend when I visit....I guess they want me to go elsewhere as they don't need my money. "Go away money spenders!!!"

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007

Hmmmm thats kinda along the same logic as Pichardo thinks. Its like sayiing in the DR there is no prostitution in the DR then why all the cabanas ? Or that the DR government is not corrupt ?Then how are all the drugs coming into this country. So your telling me the same cheap Santiago and SD Domincans that come to the North Coast for Semana Santa that stay 20 to a room in the hotels do not buy liqour in the bars or food (they bring their own) are all the country needs?
Funny when I go Cabarete I dont see Domincans renting the condos at Ocean Dream or the other big condo complexes not unless they have a extranjero boyfriend or girlfriend? When I go Playeros in Sosua I do not see Domincans walking out with 3 shopping carts but I do see the extranjeros buying a bunch of stuff.
While I have no doubt that the middle class and uber rich spend money in Santoiago and Santo Domingo you seem to forget about the masses which are poor stop drinking the kool aid and open your eyes the DR is what it is a 3rd world country. Also just because you drive a big jeepeta does not mean your well off I have seen many a bog jeepeta parked in a house I would never think of living in in this country it is all about acting and portraying like you have a lot of money STOP SNIFFING THE GLUE!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I think Moricio is a shopping kart half full half empty kind of guy !

Yes there are a few who think we expats/tourists/investors do not mean squat to the DR- Coincidently they are the same few who believe the typical DR is between the goal posts of new malls in the Piantini Naco sector. If only all of California had the same buying power and financial independence of Beverly Hills.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
A low class Domincan 30,000 pesos ?? You better drop that most Domincans I know make 5000 -15000 a month you are living in the dream Domincan Republic!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Two comments:

1. The jeepetas you see are mostly driven the the rich class, not the middle class.

2. It would be interesting to know what percentage of those who drive jeepetas and fill up 3 carts have earned their money through running a successful business, etc, and what percentage got their money by diverting public funds. The foreigners are bringing new money, not recycling money that was supposed to be going to social programs and other programs and services that normally are supported by tax and other government revenues.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Two comments:

1. The jeepetas you see are mostly driven the the rich class, not the middle class.

2. It would be interesting to know what percentage of those who drive jeepetas and fill up 3 carts have earned their money through running a successful business, etc, and what percentage got their money by diverting public funds. The foreigners are bringing new money, not recycling money that was supposed to be going to social programs and other programs and services that normally are supported by tax and other government revenues.
Understand the vast majority of "the rich" in the DR didn't earn it through being an industrialist or entrepreneur, they are the generational landed gentry who have sold holdings.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A low class Domincan 30,000 pesos ?? You better drop that most Domincans I know make 5000 -15000 a month you are living in the dream Domincan Republic!

I didn't say 30,000, I said below 30,000. And I'm talking about a household income. Our maid earns 10k, her husband probably another 15k, and yes they are poor people. That's not the point by the way, neither is the point if I would think that poor people are in need of help or not. The point is that DR is not only the low-non-consuming class but also (and for a part everyday getting more important, the middle and high class. I'm not saying if that's good or bad, actually I see around me people doing well and treating bad those who were less lucky, not good. But my point was that most foreigners don't spend what the average middle class Dominican spends.

Oh and shalena, actually I think with 3 up growing children (1, 3 and 6), supermarket shopping is very expensive yes. We are budgeting 30k per month but can't make it with that, so yeah send some

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Whatever man the majoroty of the people in this country are poor and the new rich people get thier through drugs base ball or working hard OR by leaving the country working in the USA or other well off countries . By the way just because they drive jeepetas and spend money at La Sirena does not mean they have lots of $$$$$ and also while I will admit I have met some cheap expats here I belive in paying for what I have I also believe in tipping but tell you what some of the cheapest most stingiest, stuck up, nose in the air I am better than you people I have met in this country ARE THOSE SAME DOMINCANS you look up to. In Santiago Im sure these are the people that spend money as Santiago does not have a big expat population as the north coast but next tome you come up here look who is spending $$$$$ Expats ! Some more than others I cannot blame sombody for trying to save money on ofertas. In saying that it is what it is man I have met some hard working guys here on the NC who came from the campo poor as dirt and are now what I consider middle class and they do not go to big supermarkets buying 3 grocerie carts of food.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

Yes these figures are crazy and unrealistic. Low class Dominicans make 30,000dop per month??? no way, and now I am to believe the normal middle class outspends me or other expats on a monthly basis???? come on. I am just an average guy who lives semi comfortable and I have no problem spending 5k usd per month here and only 1/5th of that is rent....Are we to honestly believe the average Dominican spends more than 5k usd per month???

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Whatever man the majoroty of the people in this country are poor and the new rich people get thier through drugs base ball or working hard OR by leaving the country working in the USA or other well off countries . By the way just because they drive jeepetas and spend money at La Sirena does not mean they have lots of $$$$$ and also while I will admit I have met some cheap expats here I belive in paying for what I have I also believe in tipping but tell you what some of the cheapest most stingiest, stuck up, nose in the air I am better than you people I have met in this country ARE THOSE SAME DOMINCANS you look up to. In Santiago Im sure these are the people that spend money as Santiago does not have a big expat population as the north coast but next tome you come up here look who is spending $$$$$ Expats ! Some more than others I cannot blame sombody for trying to save money on ofertas. In saying that it is what it is man I have met some hard working guys here on the NC who came from the campo poor as dirt and are now what I consider middle class and they do not go to big supermarkets buying 3 grocerie carts of food.

Yes this sounds more accurate. I guess in Dominican dreamworld we could all believe that the wannabees are the same as the rich, but again thats dreamworld.