10 year old hyundai sonta Is it a good buy

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
We looked at a couple once and decided against it. They are very common.

There is a thread on here where the gorgon explained a very subtle difference in models and the difference between a good and bad Sonata.
I think he said there was a way to tell if they had been used as taxis maybe, and had the mileage turned back.
I’ll look for the thread.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A tad too old for me. I'd look into whether it was imported or purchased new locally.

The market has been saturated with them for the last few years and there are quite a few patched together ones too.

I would recommend the guy who is familiar with them Auryn mentioned. It will be money well spent.

Reactions: USA DOC and Russell

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
At 175,000 you aren't exactly breaking the bank. My wife has a cousin that drives Taxi in Santo Domingo. He had a Hyundai Sonata given to him by the government in the first year of Leonels presidency. He still has it and cosmetically not the greatest but mechanically still great. Lot of it is how they are treated.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
At 175,000 you aren't exactly breaking the bank. My wife has a cousin that drives Taxi in Santo Domingo. He had a Hyundai Sonata given to him by the government in the first year of Leonels presidency. He still has it and cosmetically not the greatest but mechanically still great. Lot of it is how they are treated.
thanks for all the great advise to follow up on

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
We have on here in Luperon 2007 model.
I paid something like 500000dop at the time and have been pumping money into it ever sense.... Not high on my list;

I am now looking at Kia,Honda or Toyota,,, taking my time on this purchase.
Will only buy from Santiago or LaVaga zone due to lower oxydation problems.
But I am only one person.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It seems that when you get behind the wheel of a Hyundai Sonata or Kia K5, you loose the ability to drive. 9 cars out of 10 that pull out in front of you, overtake a queue of traffic at the lights and run the red light, merge with traffic on the opposite side, undertake you on the inside and cut you up and generally drive like idiots are Sonata / k5 drivers. They come in two colours, grey or orange. Hateful cars and so are their drivers.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
It seems that when you get behind the wheel of a Hyundai Sonata or Kia K5, you loose the ability to drive. 9 cars out of 10 that pull out in front of you, overtake a queue of traffic at the lights and run the red light, merge with traffic on the opposite side, undertake you on the inside and cut you up and generally drive like idiots are Sonata / k5 drivers. They come in two colours, grey or orange. Hateful cars and so are their drivers.

Yes and yes. I agree with this... Whenever I see one of those orange newer models, I know usually nothing good comes out of it. I've also noted that quite often those cars are involved in accidents and they just go into pieces when hit...

For the "hateful drivers", some of this may be as I think these are one of the most common models for public carritos...

Disclaimer: A guy who used to be our go-to-guy for taxi in POP had one of the older models of Sonata. He is an excellent driver, and very nice personality which was the reason we'd only use him. He sometimes even picked up our son from the school if we were at the doctors or something like that... 100 % trustworthy...

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
yes they are bad. but for me the worst are all toyota prado drivers. Back home all BMW drivers are considered a holes here all prado driveres are a holes

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
We have on here in Luperon 2007 model.
I paid something like 500000dop at the time and have been pumping money into it ever sense.... Not high on my list;

I am now looking at Kia,Honda or Toyota,,, taking my time on this purchase.
Will only buy from Santiago or LaVaga zone due to lower oxydation problems.
But I am only one person.
Kia is made by Hyundia.. the least amount of trouble is with a Toyota, that is in good shape..Gorgon is the person to look it over..