100 convicts dropped in SD from the US

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Not all are hard criminals.

Anyone know what happens here?

It's the same procedure every fortnight (normally on a Wednesday), when up to 120 ex-prisoners are repatriated.
Last week it was an unusual high number:
Llegan a RD 150 dominicanos*deportados de EEUU - ElNacional.com.do
So, 516 so far this year.
Almost 23,000 in the last six years.

Most did time for drugs and illegal residency.

Casi 23,000 dominicanos deportados en seis a?os - listindiario.com

Dominicanos rompen r?cords entre deportados de EEUU

If you pay your slate is cleaned:
http://elnuevodiario.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=271612

donP

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
I've never heard that before.

I'm retired U.S. military. I have been to quite a few countries where the Dominican Republic justice system would be considered perfect. It has flaws, but it's better than some. And of course " gringos " would have a poor opinion of Dominican justice. Unlike the U.S. system that protects the innocent wherever they are from, the Dominican system generally only works if you're Dominican. I have in laws who are Judges, Lawyers, and Officials with the Nacional Policia, and I have seen the system work. It does, just not the way we are used to.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's the same procedure every fortnight (normally on a Wednesday), when up to 120 ex-prisoners are repatriated.
Last week it was an unusual high number:
Llegan a RD 150 dominicanos*deportados de EEUU - ElNacional.com.do
So, 516 so far this year.
Almost 23,000 in the last six years.

Most did time for drugs and illegal residency.

Casi 23,000 dominicanos deportados en seis a?os - listindiario.com

If you pay your slate is cleaned:

donP

That is frightening..........

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I met a guy last month in Santo Domingo (in his taxi) who got off one of those planes after serving 5 years in an upstate NY prison several months ago. He got into a traffic accident. The driver of the other vehicle died from his injuries. Taxi guy had to submit a sample at the hospital and was found to have trace amount of cocaine in his system. He pled guilty to vehicular manslaughter. He got out after serving 5 years of a 7 year sentence. Now he is back in his homeland and swears that he will never make that mistake again. He also swears that he abstains from drug and alcohol. He has not committed a crime in the Dominican Republic or so his record would indicate.

Should he and his family be killed? Is there no possibility for redemption? Is there no good that this guy can do that will undo the harm which he caused, albeit unintentionally? Why do they call it a corrections system rather than a penal system if at the end of one's sentence they're face with no possibility to prove that they've been 'corrected'? Why would the Dominican justice system care what these people did in a foreign country?

If it was done intentionally, it would be a first degree murder and the guy would still be in a US jail. Alcool and drugs are no excuse to commit felonies.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The few I have met are back on drugs charges, 7 years for a relatively small amounts apparently. There are loads of deportees back for very small offenses, possession, mainly although I understand quite a few for shootings, gang activity etc. It is not true that 'most' of these guys are deported for murder, if they were convicted of murder then they would most likely be on death row or doing life (as the example in the previous post shows).
There certainly is something about the guys I've met, a couple of them arrived back and walked straight into money, nice car, business in an expensive part of town which you have to question, connections, obvious money yet they choose to live in bad barrios, which I suspect is where they feel safest.
Oh the sh1t that must go on that we know nothing of must be unreal.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I'm retired U.S. military. I have been to quite a few countries where the Dominican Republic justice system would be considered perfect. It has flaws, but it's better than some. And of course " gringos " would have a poor opinion of Dominican justice. Unlike the U.S. system that protects the innocent wherever they are from, the Dominican system generally only works if you're Dominican. I have in laws who are Judges, Lawyers, and Officials with the Nacional Policia, and I have seen the system work. It does, just not the way we are used to.

I don't call locking up innocent people just because they can't find the guilty is at all a successful system. I know it is impossible for me to prove that many people are sent down after being forced to admit guilt, but I think at the speed they get Haitians to admit guilt speaks for itself. It seems when ever there is a body found a day or two after a Haitian is always reported to have admitted the offense. It is just a very simple find considering they have almost zero training in prtecting crime scenes and investigation. But like I said, it is my assumption and nothing I can prove.
I also don't think comparing a bad system to a worse one makes it any better than it actually is.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Again, I have been to worse places where the accused are executed without a trial. I was in Iran before the Shah was deposed and his SAVAK made the Dominicans look like Dominican Friars. The same in the Philippines under Marcos, South Korea under Park Chung Hee and so forth and so on. It depends on what you're making the comparison to. If the DR is the only place that you've been, then there's no way to compare. You really think the innocent don't go to prison in the U.S. and the accused aren't tortured to get confessions? If you do, no offense, but you're very naive.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Again, I don't see what happens anywhere else makes anything that is not good in the DR good, only better than somewhere worse, which means nothing.

The discussion was the Dominican system is a decent system. It is compared to others. What I am seeing is a lot of people chiming in with hearsay, who haven't even experienced the system. I have Dominican relatives, who have been victims, accused and again, Judges , Attorneys and Police, and from a courtroom perspective, and not speaking "touristspeak" the system works better than you think it does. It works JUST like the U.S. system, those with MONEY to afford good representation receive the benefits of the better side of the justice system, the poor receive the short end of the stick. The U.S. is no different.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The discussion was the Dominican system is a decent system. It is compared to others. What I am seeing is a lot of people chiming in with hearsay, who haven't even experienced the system.

How do you know this?

I have Dominican relatives, who have been victims, accused and again, Judges , Attorneys and Police, and from a courtroom perspective, and not speaking "touristspeak"

Many of us have ext family in these positions, this doesn't change the system, only maybe our opinions.

the system works better than you think it does.

No it doesn't, I believe many innocent blatantly go down for crimes they have not committed, and dangerous murderers can get out after a year, people can buy freedom and the state of the prisons is disgusting, I see nothing decent about the whole process from arrest at street level through to conviction and imprisonment.

It works JUST like the U.S. system, those with MONEY to afford good representation receive the benefits of the better side of the justice system, the poor receive the short end of the stick. The U.S. is no different.

I've never lived in the US, and I have never paid enough attention to how things are done to be able to comment on the similarities it has to the DR.

I agree to disagree, we aren't going to convince each other and so there is no point in a pi$$ing match.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
most of them ARE IN FACT convicted and finished serving there sentence, so these guys ARE killers, drugdealers etc. worthless scum that does not deserve to live.

these people do not deserve to live, and should just be killed, if you think otherwise i hope you and your families get raped, killed etc. and then please answer this to yourself again.

Candelier (name probably mispelled) was battling out those criminals. Then the UN intervened because of human rights, blah, blah, blah?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
most of them ARE IN FACT convicted and finished serving there sentence, so these guys ARE killers, drugdealers etc. worthless scum that does not deserve to live.
these people do not deserve to live, and should just be killed, if you think otherwise i hope you and your families get raped, killed etc. and then please answer this to yourself again.

for the love of god. sometimes words fail me... FYI the land of freedom still executes - and isn't that nice choice of words - the death sentence. a convicted killer is not that likely to be released. i assure you that most of the deportees are small fries: selling drugs, robbing a drunk, beating up the wife and so on. while i personally believe the correct punishment here is having their nuts torn off by an opossum rather than deportation i would not go as far as wishing them dead. many, in fact, are working on it themselves already still dipping their digits in the illicit drug trade here in DR.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
If it was done intentionally, it would be a first degree murder and the guy would still be in a US jail. Alcool and drugs are no excuse to commit felonies.

I understand that and I believe that the taxi driver truly understands that. My questions point to a larger question. At what point of serving his sentence and making ammends does he qualify for absolution? If the answer is: NEVER, then why do we insist on the dance through the criminal justice system at all? Why not kill them (and us?) all and let God sort them out?

Without the trace amount of an illegal substance in his blood this guy would have just been another unfortunate victim of a traffic accident. He did something stupid. I know it and he knows it but what's a fair price to pay? It was never establiched that he was otherwise "at fault" for the accident. Should we overlook that fact and just shoot him?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
for the love of god. sometimes words fail me... FYI the land of freedom still executes - and isn't that nice choice of words - the death sentence. a convicted killer is not that likely to be released. i assure you that most of the deportees are small fries: selling drugs, robbing a drunk, beating up the wife and so on. while i personally believe the correct punishment here is having their nuts torn off by an opossum rather than deportation i would not go as far as wishing them dead. many, in fact, are working on it themselves already still dipping their digits in the illicit drug trade here in DR.

Eeeew!!! For selling drugs or a domestic quarrel? That's a little harsh. How about just a few broken fingers?

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
20 years ago Santo Domingo was fairly quiet, there was no such delincuency on the streets.

Then the US started (I think it was under Clinton's administration in the mid-90s?) to send off foreign criminals, and thousands of Dominican thieves, murderers, drug addicts came back to DR. What would you expect most of these people would do..

As long as they were in the States sending remesas to their people in DR, nobody cared too much about where the money came from, I would say.

Barnab?

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
US probably introduced them to crime in the first case. US is crime ridden and has a huge prison population.
It,s the US,s responsibility to rehabilitate them, teach them a useful skill, provide education before deporting.
US does not live up to its responisbilities with the result that the crime problem gets even worse in places such the DR.
Countries such as DR should refuse to accept them back till the US acts responsibly.

pi2

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
US probably introduced them to crime in the first case. US is crime ridden and has a huge prison population.
It,s the US,s responsibility to rehabilitate them, teach them a useful skill, provide education before deporting.
US does not live up to its responisbilities with the result that the crime problem gets even worse in places such the DR.
Countries such as DR should refuse to accept them back till the US acts responsibly.

pi2

I must say, for provocative nonsense, that was second to none...:ermm:

Barnab?