12000 BTU Inverter A/C estimated running cost?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Getting confused looking up the average use in kw/h for them.

Any input so I can get an idea?

I need one for a room of estimated 550 sf. It will be in use for an average of 14 hours per day...

Trying to figure out monthly costs with EDESUR.

Thank you! :)

Sylvie Chartier

Jan 14, 2015

I need one for a room of estimated 550 sf. It will be in use for an average of 14 hours per day...

If it's anything like EDNORTE, be prepared to give them your first born, the second and maybe the third.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

I have two runs about $75-100 month each

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Well, I know the tariffs here. Thank you. :)

What I don't know is how much an A/C like this would use.

My experience with EDESUR is actually better than EDENORTE.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I have two runs about $75-100 month each
...Installed a 12,000 Samsung ac unit, inverter type about 2 months ago....I use it only at night and not all nights. set it about 80 F, in about the same size room.......cost about $55 usa month........Doc.......

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
.....Forgot this, bought mine at pricemart ......cost about $700 includes install....and new 220 line install to ac unit.........

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I use a 12k btu inverter AC every night, and it adds about 800 pesos monthly to the electric bill.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Keep in mind there are different types of Inverter A/C's. The higher the number, the more expensive and the lower you're electric bill will run.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Congrats, you bought the right type of AC. The operating costs will be much lower than a conventional AC. How you use the unit is now then next factor in determining the operating cost. Depending on your unit, you should have at least two useful modes: Cooling & Dry.

When first turning the unit on, use cooling mode to reduce the inside temp to your comfort level. Then switch the unit to Dry mode to keep the humidity down and the people feeling comfortable.

For the most part it is the humidity that causes us humans to feel hot. Cooling mode uses the most electricity as the inverter compressor revs up and down to maintain a somewhat more consistent real temperature. In dry mode, the compressor stays at a lower constant rate and ends up using less electricity while keeping the humidity level down. In dry mode, the room temperature can creep up a little over your set cooling temperature but you won't notice if you don't stare at a thermometer. Having the AC chase a specific temperature uses more juice than having the AC maintain a set humidity level within a temperature range of a few degrees.

The general consensus when primarily using dry mode to maintain comfort, 25 C is an efficient temperature to set. Without getting into BTU's other than to say, more equals faster temp/humidity control, Your 12,000 BTU unit will run longer at high revs than a larger unit to "cool" the same size space in cooling mode. So, once you get the room comfortable, switching to dry mode to maintain comfort and forcing the AC compressor to run at a lower speed, is where your electricity savings will come from over using cooling mode exclusively.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Very true, and true of regular A/C's as well. Running a regular split on dehumidify will cool down a room substantially with a lot less electricity consumption.