15 Employees Fired At Sdq Airport

Jan 5, 2006
15 employees from various departments (immigration, customs, drug enforcement agents, maybe others) were fired yesterday from SDQ airport for soliciting cash from travelers. They were caught in the act by hidden video cameras.

Good riddance! :p

drny

Jun 12, 2007
Don't mean to rejoice over someone else's demise but, good for them!!
Some of these guys just don't stop. They start hitting you up for cash the minute you get off the plane. They have no shame.

Sep 19, 2005
21 flights into STI and I havent been asked for cash yet, at the airport I have been asked for cash from the police in Santiago

bob

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
21 flights into STI and I havent been asked for cash yet, at the airport I have been asked for cash from the police in Santiago

bob

Never had any problems in Santiago either. Hope they do the same in POP, actually worse than SDQ... Never paid them a dime... "No tienes un regalo para mi?" -NO, por que??????

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

bob
Cibao International is under different management than SDQ, POP, or the new El Catey which are under Aerodom. Aerodom is good (SDQ is better now than it used to be) but they still need some improvements.

Hopefully this is a sign of such improvement.

-NALs

drny

Jun 12, 2007
Actually I get asked at STI. It's all over . - " Hola amigo, coperece con algo".
And honestly, I always carry some singles with me because I know it's just easier/smoother to get out of the airport by greasing their palms as I go along and I kinda feel bad if I ignore them but, it doesn't need to be this way.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Actually I get asked at STI. It's all over . - " Hola amigo, coperece con algo".
And honestly, I always carry some singles with me because I know it's just easier/smoother to get out of the airport by greasing their palms as I go along and I kinda feel bad if I ignore them but, it doesn't need to be this way.
Hm... you feel good when you are part of the problem, but bad when you are part of the solution?

Wow. :ermm:

-NALs

drny

Jun 12, 2007
Hm... you feel good when you are part of the problem, but bad when you are part of the solution?

Wow. :ermm:

-NALs

In some strange way,yes, you do have a point. I should hold my ground. And if we all do the same it would be better for all of us. But, honestly, it's hard to say "no" sometimes.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Well it had to be at SDQ, I thought this stopped a long time ago. I never been asked for anything at STI. Although I do tip $5, discreetly to the guy who helps me put my luggage on the scanning machine then helps me take them outside. They hide it so fast in their pockets, I guess they are not supposed to accept the tips either?

BTW I was told that STI airport is privately owned ( by popi Bermudez) and this is why asking for money rarely happens unlike with SDQ

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
In some strange way,yes, you do have a point. I should hold my ground. And if we all do the same it would be better for all of us. But, honestly, it's hard to say "no" sometimes.

I have never been asked but then again I'm told by my wife that I can be one intimidating looking dude.
At what part of the process would they have a chance to ask for money.In POP you get your bags after you clear customs so the only chance I can see is when your walking out the front door.
I see the customs guys standing there but I never acknowedge them and just keep walking forward even if I here them,and I never get called back.
hifiman

drny

Jun 12, 2007
[
At what part of the process would they have a chance to ask for money.In POP you get your bags after you clear customs so the only chance I can see is when your walking out the front door.
I see the customs guys standing there but I never acknowedge them and just keep walking forward even if I here them,and I never get called back.
hifiman[/QUOTE]

Right after you grab your bags. before you get them scanned and checked out (and after). They are all standing around wanting to give you hand. And even if you don't need hand they just blatantly ask .

Jan 5, 2006
STI is privately operated, but the employees in immigration, customs, security, drug enforcement, etc., are government employees.

My observation over the years has been that SDQ is the worse airport in DR for this type of stuff, but it does happen at all airports in DR. The other more relevant observation is that when the PLD is in power, the staff is noticeably much more professional in their treatment of travelers, than when the PRD is in power and there is blatant pressuring of travelers to give money. Regardless, my stance has always been that they can check my bags all they want, because I take nothing into the country that is illegal or that I can be charged for, so they get no money from me.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Here is how to do it

Simple. Like mini me said it in the Austin Powers movies "ZIP IT".

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I noticed coming and going last week that DR security is pretty lax if you just keep moving like you have got somewhere to go. At STI, there was the machine where you are supposed to put your bags on before exiting the airport but I just walked right by it and they either didn?t see me as they were busy checking other people?s bags or didn?t feel like chasing after me.

Also, do tourists still have to pay $10.00 when leaving the country? I paid on arrival but I thought that I used to pay $10 when leaving as well.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
one way only for quite a few months.(Except when they try to pull the overstay B.S.) One time this winter after I was there for only one week he said I overstayed by two months. Told him to turn the page in my passport to last's week date. "OH, I'm sorry". Yeah, right.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Too bad they didn't get rid of any of the bagage handlers. Jerks stole stuff out of my bag, they should send a message out.

On the subject. How is puerto plata for theft? Should I worry about bring valuables in my stow-away luggage. Will they try and make me pay for things I have in my bag?