18% tax on orders via internet valued under $200?

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Ill continue to buy my supplements vitamins video games etc off of Amazon its still cheaper than buying here and you get what you want ! IMHO the DR is slowly overpricing itself to the point where it will just not be cost effective for expats to live here I mean dont get me wrong compared to my country its still cheap here but as fuel prices continue to increase along with everything else the DR will realise too late what it is doing !

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Most of the stuff we buy online is just not available here: books in English, CDs, PUR water filters, printer cartridges, some supplements, Indian spices.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Most of the stuff we buy online is just not available here: books in English, CDs, PUR water filters, printer cartridges, some supplements, Indian spices.

Books and CDs can easily be acquired without even having to leave the house and at a cheaper cost than having them in their original format.

What I am referring to is electronic media. For books get an electronic book like a Kindle and download all the latest books direct from Amazon. For music get an MP3 player and download all your music from an online music store like iTunes.

This technology takes a little getting used to, but once you have, you won't want to go back.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What I am referring to is electronic media. For books get an electronic book like a Kindle and download all the latest books direct from Amazon. For music get an MP3 player and download all your music from an online music store like iTunes.

There are much less expensive places to download electronic media than iTunes, we are talking a "fraction" of the cost, and you can even play them on more than 5 devices, contrary to Apple's rules.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sure - I've had a Kindle for over two years now, so the number of printed books I buy has reduced dramatically, but there are some publications that are still not available in e-book format. Same goes with music - not absolutely everything is available for download. As for the other products...

Books and CDs can easily be acquired without even having to leave the house and at a cheaper cost than having them in their original format.

This technology takes a little getting used to, but once you have, you won't want to go back.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I commend you for the initiative bu c'mmon, this is the DR we're talking about, a SMS won't do a heck of a lot on its own....lol

all you do is accompany SMS with a promise: te dare un pollo si votas por lo que quiero.

:) :) :)

in all seriousness: i agree with chiri, there is nothing like a paper book. most of books i really want are not available in e format. and in any case, even with 18% i will still buy things online. i said before that dominican shops want to skin you alive with their prices. i get nice flats from aldo at 10 dollars (sale). add 18% and EPS costs and the cost is about 500 pesos (i use shipping free offers). i do not think you will ANY aldo shoes in DR at less that 1000 pesos. they can kiss my chocolate starfish, i am not giving dominican shops my business, apart from groceries.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't buy ANY clothes here, ever, apart from my son's school uniform. Even if I could find a style I liked, which is rare, the poor quality or high prices (sometimes both) stop me from making that mistake.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
neither do i. all my clothes are bought in the states (by in laws) or europe (by me). some over the internet (underwear, VS, shoes). better AND cheaper. even with 18% is will still pay off. but get me very pi**ed off :)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bajat?

I don't buy ANY clothes here, ever, apart from my son's school uniform. Even if I could find a style I liked, which is rare, the poor quality or high prices (sometimes both) stop me from making that mistake.

The "bajat?" and "guagua" boutiques were left untouched in the reform proposal.
They also sell good quality clothes.

However, they were to pay taxes if selling more than 500 Pesos per day...
Now, how would the state control that? :rolleyes:

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The "bajat?" and "guagua" boutiques were left untouched in the reform proposal.
They also sell good quality clothes.

However, they were to pay taxes if selling more than 500 Pesos per day...
Now, how would the state control that? :rolleyes:

donP

Oh donP, don't you remember the DR is going cashless?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
It is sad but living in the DR is quicky losing its appeal. When the government gets everything online it will be the end of expats interested in retiring here as it will be just too expensive. We had not been "home" for a year and made a short visit last week. My Dominincan wife was astounded at how expensive everything had gotten in one year.
I never felt welcomed in the DR but accepted it, now I feel like I am an attractive target for a government that is searching for every possible way to raise money, regardless of its impact. Being able to buy under $200 tax free was nice. Things are not getting better!! What's next I wonder. Its been a nice ride while it lasted.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This will go from bad to worse if the proposed legislation to charge US sales tax on internet purchases is approved. If both approved, we will be paying US sales tax at the time of purchases, then 18% duty when it gets to the DR.

I know that sales tax now charged in the US if the purchaser and vendor are in the same state, but what is proposed is sales tax being charged for all purchases. Amazon is supporting the proposal.