18% tax on orders via internet valued under $200?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Law is above the Law.

from what i understand this law IS NOT and WILL NOT be approved.

The law WAS approved and with the president's signature is became law immediately (today).

However, the president is going to submit a motion (reported as soon as next week) to change (his) law.
So, somehow reason (or the "whiners") won.

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
reason? c'mon. it was money, i'm sure.

in any case, this contra reforma (pretty good name for a psychedelic rock band, eh?) will be presented on monday. so, in fact, the law is not a law...

strange place, DR :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
reason? c'mon. it was money, i'm sure.

in any case, this contra reforma (pretty good name for a psychedelic rock band, eh?) will be presented on monday. so, in fact, the law is not a law...

strange place, DR :)

I suspect that a little bird made them realize the law would violate DR-CAFTA. It was the law and now that law is to be repealed early next week.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That is almost certainly what happened. But at the same time, it reminded me of what happened several years ago when they were going to build an island, AND a metro, and everyone was up in arms, so they said, OK, calm down folks, tranquilo Bobby, maybe the island idea was just a little bit too much, let's forget the island, we'll just have a metro, and this somehow cushioned the blow of the metro?

Not that it's going to work that way. I wonder how many will turn out to the "1 million" protest in Parque Independencia at 2pm tomorrow, Sunday.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I suspect that a little bird made them realize the law would violate DR-CAFTA. It was the law and now that law is to be repealed early next week.

Yes, that is what happened. The bird, or at least one of them, was the American Embassy putting the government on notice that the US was watching to see if they violated CAFTA.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
This so reminds me of when Hipolito decided to change the time in 2000 and messed everything up. A week later he simply changed it back. Do they have any idea of how much snap decisions like these can affect the country? Gotta love 'em!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
This so reminds me of when Hipolito decided to change the time in 2000 and messed everything up. A week later he simply changed it back. Do they have any idea of how much snap decisions like these can affect the country? Gotta love 'em!

This is part of the charm of this tight little island.

I'll say it again, two books that should be standard reading for any foreigner planning to emigrate here* are Lewis Carroll's two classics Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.

* here for me is Santo Trafficjam

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
danilo was pushed all this time. pushed to set the idea of this reform and then pushed out of it. as AZB said, the land is now directed by the corporate forces above and beyond governments. whoever has the biggest push wins the battle.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
danilo was pushed all this time. pushed to set the idea of this reform and then pushed out of it. as AZB said, the land is now directed by the corporate forces above and beyond governments. whoever has the biggest push wins the battle.

Can I get away with this? It happens everywhere.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Good stuff and worth a quick Google Translation:

Deputies approved on two readings eliminate taxes online purchase​
renderimage.aspx

ico_save.jpg
Save Article
spacer.gif
ico_print.jpg
Print Article
spacer.gif
Write Review
spacer.gif
Send to a friend

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
3:55 PM -
SANTO DOMINGO, RD. - The Chamber of Deputies declared urgent and approved in two readings the repeal of section 49 of the Tax Reform Act, which provided for the taxation of purchases made abroad via internet in amounts not exceeding 200 dollars. The piece was received with a total of 143 votes and four abstained, so it now goes to the Senate for consideration and approval.Several motions were filed by some lawmakers, but nevertheless, it was rejected by the plenary of the House. Among the included that were left on the table the project and it was sent to a committee to receive proposals as the amendment to Article 34 of the Film Act. In the letter sent to Congress, the President, Danilo Medina, warns of the consequences of this tax and relationships derived from FTA with the United States and Central America.ProceedingsDeputy Nelson Arroyo scored an embarrassment to the Congress that the executive branch has rectified the internet shopping, when lawmakers could make it, and that the amendment was proposed by the PRD and PRSC blocks, however, was rejected by the Most mechanics of PLD.He added that this shows that there is no real separation of powers.Graciela Fermin, thanked President Danilo Medina for having repealed sales tax online, and was submitted by Deputy Victor Gomez Casanova, but it was rejected by LDP lawmakers.However, he clarified that the poor do not buy online and asked the president to rectify in the same direction on taxes on rice, sugar, oil, coffee and other products of the basket.He said the legislators will support the amendmentFor his part, Eugene Cedeno greeted the president Danilo Medina rectify around to collect tax on the purchase over the Internet, over $ 200, but understand, that also should be rectified in relation to payment of rent and levy savings.Requested leave on the table the bill, and that the finance committee receives these and other proposals, because the law is being castrated film. While Ruben Maldonado, defended the charge of buying online, "because they are the rich and the middle class who buy into international markets." He said that as president Danilo Medina said, this RF is a very bitter.He said the PRD legislators have been advocating against approval of the tax reform, and simply just do reviews. He added that raised several alternatives to the Executive in the bicameral committee.Ramon Rogelio Genao said the proposal to tax internet shopping was never on the initiative of the Executive, but emerged in the discussions of the joint commission.He said that internet shopping has reached over 3 million people, and it is true that the industry will affect Dominican, but on the contrary, benefit. He added that this correction will attenuate the bitter pill of the RF.Alexis Jimenez said these errors that are taking place is because lawmakers are not taking the role that corresponds to oversee the executive branch."We have approved a tax reform without even having read it, nor the impact it will have on the population," he said, adding that leaves no wonder.The president of the Chamber of Deputies, Abel Martinez announced that next Thursday of next week's public hearings on credit cards in the Assembly Hall.While Manuel Jim?nez, said that "if we keep Article 34 in the fiscal reform will be away investors, and proposed repeal the articles referred to the movies."Victor Gomez Casanova said that the government is discrediting to punish the people with these taxes reflected in the tax reform. It was not a reform but a tax.Pelegrin Castillo supported the decision of President Danilo Medina to rectify the tax on Internet purchases. It rejected a request that it be left on the table to buy online. Ruddy Gonzalez said President Danilo Medina was forced to rectify the tax by buying online because it violates the DR-CAFTA agreement.Also called a closing debate, because the subject has been sufficiently debated.Marino said Collante unwise one correction to an item that is part of the recently passed tax reform, I think that kind of initiative and the president of the republic, let the President submits the corresponding modifications."Subjecting another element to this amendment presented by President Danilo represents overthrow the project," adding that the Law on Cinema, the only item that was discussed was the transparency, the benefit for producers with income tax, which these can not be transferred or sold to a third party. It removes incentives for filmmakers. "He said that the project is approved after it is debated. Cristian Paredes struck lawmakers that "what is happening in this country that nobody is noticing is that society is changing and that leads to that people must change.""Society needs a cooler head and leave us with cheap populism, make a commitment to responsibility," adding that "we must not allow after the RF approved in less than 72 hours, the Executive sent a medication, and that Congress can not afford it, I prefer to take off at 2 pesos for fuel and income tax. " Asked to approve an amendment that eliminates the tax on Internet purchases, which he described as hateful.For his part Joseph Jacques, said lawmakers who voted for the tax reform did to cover the fiscal deficit committed by the previous administration of his own party.He said that with the approval of the tax reform were violated several articles of the Constitution and procedural laws.He added that neither the Comptroller General of the Republic or the Chamber of Accounts sent to Congress a report on the fiscal deficit, and that despite this, Congress passed the reform.

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited: