2,000 additional megawatts by 2026

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Antonio-Almonte-Presidencia-1024x576.png

Energy and Mines Minister Antonio Almonte says the Abinader administration is working to install a 2,000 megawatts between 2022 and 2026 to guarantee stable power service in the country. He said the cold reserve that would be created would permit two large power plants to be out simultaneously for maintenance.

Almonte made the remarks when interviewed by Pablo McKinney on his late night Color Vision McKinney program.

“In electricity there are no short-cycle products, there are long-cycle products. These are two, three or four year products, and what has to be evaluated is whether we are working to solve the problem of blackouts definitively. And yes, we are working to solve it by installing two thousand megawatts between 2022 and 2026, which will guarantee a real cold reserve”, said the Minister.

He explained that in most Latin American countries, the electrical system...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
The DR has never had cold electrical reserves. It would be immensely helpful reducing blackouts due to schedule maintenance and breakdowns. I do think this administration is capable of getting this done. The only problem I see is that this newly installed reserved capacity will ultimately be abused by bring it online and not fixing the broken one it is replacing until something else breaks. We are now back to where we started. ho hum.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Vegas and Hijo, I have little patience for the sort of nonsense I just had to delete.

If you are incapable of maintaining the decorum and civil conversation due to a discussion of news articles, I will not give you much latitude.

You both have been warned.

Reactions: chico bill

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Just more BS. I want electric system to be 24/7. No more blackouts. Period.
I solved my problem with blackouts by buying an inverter and four batteries.

Blackouts have not been a problem since I bought my back up power set up.
I have not had to wait until new power plants are brought online to provide "cold electrical reserves".

My electrical reserves are hot
Right now my float light is blinking indicating I am good to go.
Next power outage the only thing I will notice is my fan making a bit more noise than normal and no 220V to power my air conditioner.
I also don't put my refrigerators on the emergency circuit.

I don't have much patience for basic infrastructure issues.
I would rather just be a man and take care of business for myself.
💡 24/07/365

EASTSIDE!!

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
What is renewable about the solar panels and lead acid or lithium batteries is what I would like to know.

Also (and depending entirely on location) it takes between 5 years to never to recoup the energy required to produce the steel, carbon, copper, electronics and paint to fabricate, haul, erect and maintain a windmill.

They have a life of 20 years. It is estimated up to half of them will never recapture the energy used to create them.
And at least once in their lifespan they will require cranes to come back and remove & replace or rebuild the Nacell atop the tower and facilitate repairs to the carbon fiber blades, as well as repaint the steel tower every 5 years.

So we always fall back on the 1st law of physics. Energy is neither created nor destroyed

Just slap some green paint on them. It will make them believe it's good.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What is renewable about the solar panels and lead acid or lithium batteries is what I would like to know.

Also (and depending entirely on location) it takes between 5 years to never to recoup the energy required to produce the steel, carbon, copper, electronics and paint to fabricate, haul, erect and maintain a windmill.

They have a life of 20 years. It is estimated up to half of them will never recapture the energy used to create them.
And at least once in their lifespan they will require cranes to come back and remove & replace or rebuild the Nacell atop the tower and facilitate repairs to the carbon fiber blades, as well as repaint the steel tower every 5 years.

So we always fall back on the 1st law of physics. Energy is neither created nor destroyed
None of that matters as long as people feel good about their efforts to be green.

Much of the developing world will be forced to use previously captured solar energy that has been stored in the ground and is pumped to the surface and refined or mined in solid form and then burned to provide electricity and/or heat where needed. There will be no getting around that if people are to be allowed to live. Take the new power plants in the DR, please.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Strongly held wishes and pixie dust won’t deliver a green utopia.

Somehow, Germany, a country where the government is firmly committed to "green" energy, is preparing to fire up coal-burning power plants. The move is even more remarkable given that officials stubbornly refuse to restart mothballed nuclear facilities, or even reconsider the timeline for retiring those that remain online. It's an astonishing situation for a country that very recently boasted that it would soon satisfy all its energy needs with sunshine and cool summer breezes.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Previously captured solar energy that has been stored in the ground?
Is that poster referring to "sand batteries".

How did the thread veer into renewable energy?
The news article is about fossil fuel power plants being brought online in the Dominican Republic.
But there was just an article posted about energy generation in Germany.

I've been told by posters here that I do not have a command of the Spanish language.
Did I miss something in translation of the article with is the source of this thread?

"Of course, until you have sufficient diverse sources of renewable and reliable energy on which to draw, you're going to keep the lights on through now-disfavored but reliable means such as coal, nuclear, and natural gas. But if you're Germany and in a revived cold war with Russia, which is the major source of your natural gas, your options are limited when that country closes the valves on the pipelines."

Yes, let's get the Dominican Republic on a war footing.
Maybe that is what the Dominican Republic needs: "A nuclear energy power plant"?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Previously captured solar energy that has been stored in the ground?
Is that poster referring to "sand batteries".
Oil and coal, and natural gas. I thought the puns were obvious, but I guess not. Sand batteries are not in widespread use,
How did the thread veer into renewable energy?
The news article is about fossil fuel power plants being brought online in the Dominican Republic.
But there was just an article posted about energy generation in Germany.

I've been told by posters here that I do not have a command of the Spanish language.
Did I miss something in translation of the article with is the source of this thread?

"Of course, until you have sufficient diverse sources of renewable and reliable energy on which to draw, you're going to keep the lights on through now-disfavored but reliable means such as coal, nuclear, and natural gas. But if you're Germany and in a revived cold war with Russia, which is the major source of your natural gas, your options are limited when that country closes the valves on the pipelines."

Yes, let's get the Dominican Republic on a war footing.
Maybe that is what the Dominican Republic needs: "A nuclear energy power plant"?
The article points out the reality that developing nations (and even Germany) have NO option for the foreseeable future but to burn fossil fuels for their people and economies to survive.
The topic of renewable energy is related to this because it cannot produce enough of such energy nor at the correct times when it is needed, so there has to be energy from fossil fuel plants.

Thorium reactors would be a better option, but none are being discussed. Perhaps someday fusion reactors will save the day.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Oil and coal, and natural gas. I thought the puns were obvious, but I guess not. Sand batteries are not in widespread use,
Ok, thank you for explaining that for me.
Maybe it is the way that you wrote it that caused me to miss your attempt at...
Well I actually don't know what you were attempting.
The article points out the reality that developing nations (and even Germany) have NO option for the foreseeable future but to burn fossil fuels for their people and economies to survive.
The article that this thread is based on is about a fossil fuel power plant being brought online.
Objection: Irrelevant
The topic of renewable energy is related to this because it cannot produce enough of such energy nor at the correct times when it is needed, so there has to be energy from fossil fuel plants.
The article that this thread is based on is about a fossil fuel power plant being brought online.
Objection: Irrelevant.

Anyone with any sort of basic engineering knowledge knows that you need a base of supply of electricity to entering into the grid to keep it running. Renewable energy is a bonus that should decrease the need for fossil fuels and cause those grids that use them to burn less of them.

In my opinion that is good thing.
Thorium reactors would be a better option, but none are being discussed. Perhaps someday fusion reactors will save the day.
Objection: Irrelevant.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro
Status
Not open for further replies.