2008 Caribbean World Series - 50th Anniversary

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks, guys...this will be our very first trip back to DR as husband and wife....and we would love to be able to go to at least a couple of games...

I know this is WAY too far in advance, Tony has told me so...but I'd like to make reservations and NOT have to worry about anything at the last minute...

Let me try calling the Aguilas' Office and see what they tell me...although I'm sure it would be better if a Dominican calls...

Anyone care to try???

I still think HB should be our 'ambassador' for this task... ;)

Mrs. MQ

C

Chip00

Thanks, guys...this will be our very first trip back to DR as husband and wife....and we would love to be able to go to at least a couple of games...

I know this is WAY too far in advance, Tony has told me so...but I'd like to make reservations and NOT have to worry about anything at the last minute...

Let me try calling the Aguilas' Office and see what they tell me...although I'm sure it would be better if a Dominican calls...

Anyone care to try???

I still think HB should be our 'ambassador' for this task... ;)

Mrs. MQ

I called the number this number out of the phone book and the girl said to call back later in the day about tickets if anybody else wants to give it a try.

(809) 575-1810

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i guess the DR doesn't work like the US. big events like this would be booked a year in advance. but that's good that it is not. i will get one of my spanish speaking friends to call for me and see what the deal is.....

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks, Dolores...getting ready to make reservations...

Any info on hotels and tickets for the games??

Much appreciated!!!!

woofer

Jun 27, 2007
...hola baseball junkies...

...We are a Canadian couple who follow baseball (especially our Jays)...who are trying to get info on the Caribean World Series...we'd like to go to Santaigo for a few days and catch some games...especially when the Dominican team plays.....reading these posts it doesn;t look like anyone is making any headway as to hotels, game prices, dates and is starting to look a lot like the time we went to a game in Cuba...I've put a couple of feelers out with a Puerto Plata cab company thinking we might stay there but it looks like it will be more practical staying in Santaigo...so if anyone has any info , ideas and wants to collaborate...think about the woofer from Canada
and drop us a line.....

Shootmaster_44

Jun 30, 2007
Hey, I'm new to the forum and looking at a winter trip this year and was thinking about the Serie del Caribe. I have a ton of questions so bare with me.

How much am I looking at for prices for single game tickets?

Is it fairly easy to get from Puerto Plata to Santiago? I'm thinking of staying at one of the all-inclusive resorts there and making a day trip to Santiago for a game, is that a good idea or should I spend a night in a hotel in Santiago instead?

How do I go about getting tickets?

Is there a basic schedule posted anywhere? I realize the games involving the DR will be the games to see, but which games am I most likely to be able to get tickets for (i.e. the ones that locals will be most disinterested in)?

I've read about Cuban ballgames being overpacked, to the point where if you get up to use the bathroom, your seat will be gone when you come back. Is it like that in the DR?

Are foul balls souvenirs in the DR or do you have to return them? I know in Cuba its illegal to keep a foul ball, so I don't want to end up in a cell in the DR for keeping a foul ball.

Is there anything else I should know about the games themselves? Like don't eat stadium food or there's no programs or whatever?

Mooreman

Jul 15, 2007
Serie del Caribe

Hello everybody. It's exciting to hear people are making their plans for the Serie del Caribe. As I've learned in attending 2 of the last 3 Latinos are notorious for waiting until the last minute. This one may be a little different because the Dominican will be more organized then either Mexico, Venezuela, and Puerto Rico, which put on a great series this year, but were highly unorganized up until he started. To answer the last post it won't quite be like Cuba. You'll have an assigned seat that people will not take, but they will just stand on the dugouts and aisles and block your view. Most of the good seats between the dugouts can be had if you get them early because they are the most expensive one. In Mexico the tickets were about $40 a game, 2 games a day, and in Puerto Rico there were about $45 (for front row behind dugout) for the day (both games.) Yes you can keep foul balls. Yes you can eat at the stadiums. I do it in Mexico all the time, and the food is wonderful. If you have anybody that can tell you when the tickets go on sale that would be great. Please post it here. As for the games the DR games will be unbelievably crowded and exciting. They will play the night game each night, and both times I've gone game times have been 1600 and 2000 each day. There are tons of hotels and resorts along the coast about 20 miles north of Santiago as well. You can buy individual tickets or tickets for the entire series. Typically the non-DR games will only be half full. In Mexico the non-Mexico games were about half, and the same was true in Puerto Rico for the non-Puerto Rico and non-DR games. It is an incredible experience, and I'll keep checking back for ticket information. I've been told Santiago is the premier DR baseball experience, so see all of you there!

Sep 19, 2005
Hey, I'm new to the forum and looking at a winter trip this year and was thinking about the Serie del Caribe. I have a ton of questions so bare with me.

How much am I looking at for prices for single game tickets?

Is it fairly easy to get from Puerto Plata to Santiago? I'm thinking of staying at one of the all-inclusive resorts there and making a day trip to Santiago for a game, is that a good idea or should I spend a night in a hotel in Santiago instead?

How do I go about getting tickets?

Is there a basic schedule posted anywhere? I realize the games involving the DR will be the games to see, but which games am I most likely to be able to get tickets for (i.e. the ones that locals will be most disinterested in)?

I've read about Cuban ballgames being overpacked, to the point where if you get up to use the bathroom, your seat will be gone when you come back. Is it like that in the DR?

Are foul balls souvenirs in the DR or do you have to return them? I know in Cuba its illegal to keep a foul ball, so I don't want to end up in a cell in the DR for keeping a foul ball.

Is there anything else I should know about the games themselves? Like don't eat stadium food or there's no programs or whatever?

well whie I havent attended a Carribe World Series game yet. I did go see the Dominican Finals a few times this past jan-feb. I always wanted the best seats i could get, and ended up in the first section of seats each game. as close as the first row and as far away as the last row in that section. The price for those FINALS between Licey and the Aguilas was about 2000 pesos each.....the highest being 2500 pesos each.
All the tickest for the FINALS were scalped tickets....I am sure there were some in crowd people who got the tickets they wanted. But for a gringo wanting just a seat at a game for a night....you had to go find a scalper with the seats you would like....that in itself was an exciting thing to go through....luckily my GF speaks english and spanish....

Iheard that the bleacher type seats were about 600 pesos each...figure more for the series though.

there were always empty seats to be seen at very game I went to.

I wonder if it will be much different for the Carribe Series...I dont know how much influence the Carribe Series owners will have on what goes on normally at the Stadium in Santiago.

The food was fine...we ate a bunch of different things with no ill effects.

all the foul balls were kept by whoever ended up with them...

The games got over very late at night...you should NOT try to drive back to Puerto Plata after the game...stay in town.

There was always a schedule posted of what day the game were being played. It doesnt come out till very close to the start of the series.

Where our seats were they have an attendant that lets people in and out of that area , and you have to show your ticket stub to get back in...so no one will be taking your seat....I cant speak for the good seats in the bleacher section though.

I will say that a baseball game brings out a lot of sights , and walking through the tunnels to get food( if you want to, they sell it at your seat as well) is very interesting. you see all kinds of people . the absolute most beautiful women i have seen in the DR, I saw walking around at the baseball games...its true!!! And I have been many many times and seen a LOT OF WOMEN....

I cant wait..only issue is, my GF will be having a baby right at that time.....dont know if she would up for going....

bob

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
The Kid's planning to be there, and he's bringing a black-haired beauty with big dark eyes and points of her own sitting way up high - way up firm and high. I'll be working on my night moves. Y las Aguilas son...

Shootmaster_44

Jun 30, 2007
Thanks for your replies, after reading the stuff about Cuban baseball, I was hoping an event of this magnitude would be organized better and it appears I am right. Does anyone from the US or Canada know of any travel companies that put together baseball packages for this tournament? I've seen some in the past for Cuban games, but nothing for the Caribbean Winter Leagues.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
you may want to check travel agencies where there is a large dominican presence like NYC. call Liberty Travel in Manhattan. here is a Greenwich Village number since most of these agencies are located between the village and central park.

5th Ave, New York, NY
(212) 677-2400

good luck

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Kyle...thanks for the tip...although I think some of us would be much better off just risking it and going straight to DR to look for tickets and hotels...no middle man...

Those people in NYC tend to rip you off even more than they would in DR...

Thanks, but no thanks!!! I'll do my own research and let you guys know when the time comes!!!!

platana

Mar 15, 2006
MusicQueennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Whats up!!!
OOpss off topic, I know!

Reyna call someone who lives there and let them do the leg work for you BUT make sure is someone who u can trust! Its all about the Benjamins u know!!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
MQ, i would agree. i will probably fly down, stay in santiago and get a scalped ticket from someone. my sister in Manhattan said she saw an ad for 1200.00 for the series. are you kidding me :ermm: and that was air, hotel and two tickets for one game. we can all go to Chip's house for that price. :laugh:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Hey, Platanita....nice to see you again!!! Well...I was waiting for our resident expert, HB, to get us some info on this...if not, we'll probably get Tony's uncle to do the leg work for us...

Kyle...yeah, let's all go to Chip's house... LOL!!!! Let's get DR1 Shirts so we can recognize each other at the games!!!! How about that??? ;)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Hey, HB had...I don't know if he's still operating...a B&B...maybe we can go stay there...and he'll be able to get us a GREAT price for that time!!!??!!!!?!? ;);)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I have been planning to go to Santiago for a long time. This event sounds interesting. Can we buy tickets that far in advance?