2016 Hurricane Season

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The most powerful Caribbean hurricane in nearly a decade has hit Haiti, bringing 230km/h (145mph) winds, heavy rain and dangerous storm surges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-37549219

a bit deceptive.. since the photos are from the Dominican side.. unless I missed the caption.? At least I am judging them to be.. "todo todo es" and the moto bikes with the yippies! and the white folks.. not so Haiti looking to me

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Observation from the Frontier

Morning ya all,

Going to be signing off with this last update.

Still have overcast skies but it was a quite night with the occasional light to moderate squalls passing on through. Sun is starting to peak through from the East and I would expect we will still get a bit more light rain throughout the day. No wind at all.

So we are going to say that on the Frontier this side of the Sierra de Bahorucos has seen the worst of what the storm had to offer.

However, finally got through to my friends on the " other side " and it is still raining hard over there and that means Perdenales and Haiti are in for another day of storms as the trailing rains finally past on by.

So Matthew is off to visit the US for a few days and it will be interesting to see just what happens up there.

take care my friends...will check back in when something of note happens here on the Frontier.

kFrancisco de Cabral

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a bit deceptive.. since the photos are from the Dominican side.. unless I missed the caption.? At least I am judging them to be.. "todo todo es" and the moto bikes with the yippies! and the white folks.. not so Haiti looking to me

the first video is DR, the last scenes are from the site when landslide killed two children.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
probably the most threatened population on the island live in the city of Gonaives.. In the post that Bob put up, the sea surge in that bay are predicted for 3 to 5 feet. http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=35398

est 300,000 people live in Gonaives (2011 )

here is a satellite map http://mapcarta.com/19795072

Gonaives is trapped between the mountains and the sea.The first link provides a very good analysis of the storms and pictures of them.

the floods in 2008 were very bad.. causing many people to be stranded on their roof tops for many days

a lot of money was collected for relief efforts.. some of which was spent giving the survivors the extremely valuable gifts of uncooked rice and beans. What more could one want while stranded on a roof than uncooked rice and beans?

oh.. and water.. they did give water

All of the storm drains had been built over by then - back in 2008

one assumes that none of the money was spent in clearing the storm drains.

that is not just on Haiti, .. that is on the amazing capacity of the international aid organizations to spend the aid money in their respective countries of origin before they get to Haiti..

(Sorry for the off track and the snark but it positively amazing to watch the dysfunction of foreign aid as I have watched for the last 12 years in Haiti. Certainly not everyone was on a roof and the rice and beans were needed-- and everyone had the best intentions.. except for the ones who did not)

But - as I see it.. these are the people in the most danger in Haiti.,

I do not know Jamaica and so can not speak to that.

the pix I posted was Gonaives.. that city will most likely be the hardest hit because of its geography. Did not want to imply that all of Haiti will look like that.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The sun has just come out in Punta Cana. Waiting for reports to come in from Haiti and Cuba.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Exiting POP y'day, we saw no sign of weather problems
totally normal at the airport except for flight diversions east

to avoid the storm

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
here on the East even the Sun comes thru once in a while.
skies change between light grey and Sun.
a bit of a light Breeze, the Currents co,me from the South, completely unusual here, so all those boats ankered along the Beach of whom you usually see their Back with their name on it, are now pointing towards the Beaches.
today is the day of Matthew's Wake, the event is not over, yet.
the closer to the West of Hispa?iola the harder the effects.
this Storm that passed by was very big on size and is of course spinning Counter-Clockwise,
so depending on your location and actual positioning of the Storm/which Quadrant you are in, you get winds and rains from the S and SW.
physically it is gone away from our Territory,
but if you are in one of the numerous vulnerable areas endangered for Mudslides and flooding rivers, stay focused, as just a little bit "extra Water" from a small cluster sent out in the Wake, could trigger something like a Mudslide at a formerly water-battered location.
what stays up at its place during today will survive.

this Storm kept it's powers incredibly high considering 2 landfalls in just one day and both during interaction with highest Territories.
this morning it is still running 115mph windspeeds.

it looks like the Eastern US from Fl up to the N should soon get ready for a tough ride.

Mike

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Better wait for these pictures then instead of posting pictures of 8 years ago because the pictures or videos at hand aren't bad enough to tell the story you want to tell?!

yes.,. sorry.. only correcting the misleading BBC headline that talked about the damage to Haiti..and showed slides of the DR. I certainly do not WANT to te ll a bad story of Haiti and will be absolutely thrilled if there is not any flooding whatsoever in Gonaives. So far the reports out of Haiti are not bad.. PauPrince was spared and there are only 5 deaths reported. So that is a good thing. Reports have not come in yet from Gonaives.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
yes.,. sorry.. only correcting the misleading BBC headline that talked about the damage to Haiti..and showed slides of the DR. I certainly do not WANT to te ll a bad story of Haiti and will be absolutely thrilled if there is not any flooding whatsoever in Gonaives. So far the reports out of Haiti are not bad.. PauPrince was spared and there are only 5 deaths reported. So that is a good thing. Reports have not come in yet from Gonaives.

The southern peninsula has been termed "the bread basket" although I am not sure how accurate that is. The most damage will be to the crops.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I don't think that photo is from Haiti LOL I'm sure that's some dominican barrio

indeed.. you are probably right.. the person who posted is quite an enigma.. only 14 followers and only follows 15.. most of them rosacrucians.. and masons,, plus the US Embassy in Haiti and one very high Haitian American who has his fingers in every coup.. nevertheless, it circulates with the hashtags.. of Jeremie.. There are .. actually.. predominantly tall quite white white people in Jeremie, I have an oil painting of such on my wall here - so .. unless we can actually get there.. the photo stands..