2020 Hurricane Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The 11pm report is out and the track is definitely south of Sosua/POP. Maximum sustained winds of 50 mp, and the speed to the WNW has decreased from 18mph to 16 mph.

At this point I am not expecting maximum wind in Sosua, but hoping for some rain.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Here in Guayacanes, the heavens just opened up.
White out conditions of straight down water.
No wind to be seen, nor mentioned....as of yet.
Firepits within however are lit.
It is a quite a sight.
Any other reports from within the interior?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
shot from 10:40PM.
no changes.
moving Westward all evening long, Center of circulation is a mid level atmosphere Low offshore SCentral of our South Shores.
what still could move up and over us on the East here is the SE Quadrant of the circulation,
which on Satlellite does not look anything strongerthan what we had all evening long.
no significant windforce measured anywhere around here.
until now Laura shows as a Tropical wave with a circulation

2020-08-22 (27).png

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The 11pm report is out and the track is definitely south of Sosua/POP. Maximum sustained winds of 50 mp, and the speed to the WNW has decreased from 18mph to 16 mph.

At this point I am not expecting maximum wind in Sosua, but hoping for some rain.
according to the NHC we have those 50mphr max winds since hours here in Punat Cana,
but we had and have Zero of such.
we had some lasting constant rain and for a short while abit gusty winds.
i do not believe that any windgust here erached near 20mphr this evening so far.
at the moment it is not even rainingand the wind up here in Veron not worth to be mentioned as wind.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Regarding the Caribbean Hurricane Network website "How Close Can It Get?", when I entered these GPS coordinates for Sosua, 19.75 N, 70.52 W, and clicked to get the answer, the response was a surprise: " ALERT! The coordinates you entered are the same as those for the eye of the storm. Better take cover right now, instead of sitting behind the computer!"

So much for the reliability of the Caribbean Hurricane Network

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It is 2020.
Everything will be blown out of proportion.
As strong as this may, could, might be.....it is not a Hurricane.
It is a Tropical Storm. Known to happen here in RD within late August, once or twice in this nation's history.
As my Canadian friends are reminding me, how many drinks have been named after a Tropical Storm?
Enjoy it.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
11:50PM.
I am as sure as I could on such thing.
this is the Center of Circulation and it is movng WNW.
wind and heavier rainpowers are still not over Land in DR.
there is a smaller rough area close to the Center on it's East and there is a wide heavy tackle area of wind and rain on the farer SE of the Center.
tonight that area will move up and go over the area around PC/La Romana and from there continue a WNW.
also the direct surroundings of the Center are strong on it's West and North and NorthEast.
we stil lhave the rougher times ahead of us tonight.
don't let your guards down because nothing happened so far.
here on the East it just started again with now only light rain and wind is getting a bit stronger.

2020-08-23_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BermudaRum

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
As of 2am the storm and wind gusts were first felt in Santo Domingo. Lasted about half an hour. Seems to have quieted. Drizzle now by 2:47am. Back to sleep. Rain intensity picked up again at 3:03am

Last edited:

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Heavy rains in Santo Domingo at 5:50am
Onamet director tweeted satellite image showing DR completely covered by the storm.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Would think the storm is beyond Santo Domingo. Light drizzle and overcast.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
For a few minutes there at 1:30 am when the storm woke me up I thought I was back east in the states and there was a nor 'easterner blowing. Sounded the same. Looked the same b,ut then I saw palm trees instead of oak trees and thanked God it was only a tropical storm in JD.

Status
Not open for further replies.