2022 Hurricane Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Fiona will be a Hurricane any moment, the powers are there.
over night so far zero change on tracking, as awaited the storm is dropping pressure and growing powers.
PR is already for most part under TS Force Winds and they will feel near Hurricane or by then Hurricane Force winds in just a little bit.
Most TS forces extend from the Center out towards the N, NE, E and SE of the Center the farest, also a good chunk towards the NW.
The near Hurricane Force winds and higher forces extend only off the Center to the NE.
The Storm will touch the SW Corner of PR the next hours and by this moment looks like it will continue it's WNW Tracking.
That means for us here in DR, specially the East Shores:
We will have a 80-85mphrs Hurricane Centered right of the Cape/Cabo Engaño to see the phenomenom with the own eyes tonight somewhere Midnight/3:00AM.
The Storm should continue it's slow pace WNW-NW,
so we will have TS Force winds right over or at least just some very few miles away for a minimum 10 10hrs and that could also extend easily to 15hrs.
It will reach us first with it's NW Quadrant, then it should go calmer as we will be on the weak W and SW Quadrants where strong winds do not reach out far from the Center, and once it passed our area towards WNW/NW from Punta Cana we will get the Southern Quadrant, which contains more Thunderstorm Activity than the NW or W of this Storm.
By Tuesday Noon/early afternoon even our North Coast should be out of the Southern Quadrant of heavy weather, while the Ocean of course will continue to bounce on the beaches.
Since it is so close to PR, since this morning I have difficulties to really see/mark the Center,
I take it's position so far from what Sat and H-Hunters mark as the Center.
So far here on the East we are today at my place/around 7 miles off the beach line, very calm with rain on/off in smaller amount since last night.
Once it arrived, everybody should post the actual local weather conditions for the different areas of DR here.
Should I put plywood on my sliding glass windows in Samaná?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
The whatsapp roup was started when dr1 collapsed because of the surge in traffic during one past storm.

Waitman has changed things and the site should be able to handle any changes in traffic.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
I am the daughter of a Navy captain who instilled in me a sense that tropical storms and hurricanes are serious business to prepare for the worse. So, I personally take these very seriously.

I also grew up on a house on the Malecon of Santo Domingo that suffered a direct hit by Hurricane David (Category 5) in 1979. Have lived through hurricanes expected on the south, and hitting on the north....

Right now, the people I talk to in Santo Domingo are optimistic the storm will not hit the city badly and the country will recover quickly. The track has it passing through the Mona Channel. This is a big island. Weather in Punta Cana takes a while to come to Santo Domingo... And this storm is on a WNW track.

The 11am forecast continues to have it moving more to the west than to the north, but it is moving. The bad news is that it is moving slowly.

I think everyone is aware there is going to be lots of rain, say 72 hours of rains.

I am cooking a cocido tonight, with friends coming over tomorrow, the waters permitting.

In Santo Domingo, it has been a morning of cloudy skies with bouts of blue skies. Some gusty winds, occasional drizzling rain.

Administration

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
dr1.com
Screenshot_20220918-120516_MyRadar.jpg
16635175079335332772855971494203.jpg

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Touching SWern Tip of PR or touching Punta Cana,
that's now a freaking gambling close call.
All Hurricane Force stretches out towards the NE of the Center, but that Center can touch us and it will blow as it didn't do around here since a long time.
Late tonight and monday morning will be a hell of a time here near the Cape.

Aug 31, 2011
Hello. We recently moved near Samaná City. I'm in the States, but my husband is in Samaná. Light Rain waves started about 10:00 am. This forum and this metrologist Jean Suriel (Spanish) (
). have been my source of info. If you add a chat group on Whatsapp, please post how we can join. And any info that reports what's expected beyond Punta Cana through Samaná up through PP is very helpful!!! Appreciate all of you!

nekokatt

Feb 25, 2012
buenas tardes, I'm flying to SDQ wednesday night

whats the current weather situation in Santo Domingo now? gracias!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The slightest bounce from PR will bring this one over land here on the SE.
Tonight things can change in a heart beat.
Our best case scenario is a 85mphrs Storm at or over the Cape moving NW wards right along the Beaches.
The worst is that same thing tracking W/WNW doing landfall somewhere between Yuma and the Cape.
For Samana nobody could tell before it's way down here on our SE Corner is clear.

Reactions: Bucketowater47

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I am the daughter of a Navy captain who instilled in me a sense that tropical storms and hurricanes are serious business to prepare for the worse. So, I personally take these very seriously.

I also grew up on a house on the Malecon of Santo Domingo that suffered a direct hit by Hurricane David (Category 5) in 1979. Have lived through hurricanes expected on the south, and hitting on the north....

Right now, the people I talk to in Santo Domingo are optimistic the storm will not hit the city badly and the country will recover quickly. The track has it passing through the Mona Channel. This is a big island. Weather in Punta Cana takes a while to come to Santo Domingo... And this storm is on a WNW track.

The 11am forecast continues to have it moving more to the west than to the north, but it is moving. The bad news is that it is moving slowly.

I think everyone is aware there is going to be lots of rain, say 72 hours of rains.

I am cooking a cocido tonight, with friends coming over tomorrow, the waters permitting.

In Santo Domingo, it has been a morning of cloudy skies with bouts of blue skies. Some gusty winds, occasional drizzling rain.

Hurricane party!!!!! YEAA!!!!!

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The luz just went out in Bavaro for about 20 minutes. Usually the CEPM generators kick in quicker than that and we have luz. I thought maybe a transformer exploded, but apparently not. Because they could not have fixed it that quick.

Is there another place to post about outages? Not here in the general and more important hurricane update thread.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here's a paragraph - North coast related - to the attached article

BUCKLE UP NORTH COAST !!

A hurricane warning -- indicating hurricane conditions are expected -- was issued for Puerto Rico, including the islands of Vieques and Culebra, and later expanded to include the eastern Dominican Republic from Cabo Caucedo to Cabo Frances Viejo. The Dominican Republic's northern coast, from Cabo Frances Viejo west to Puerto Plata, are under a hurricane watch Sunday morning, meaning hurricane conditions are possible in the next 48 hours.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I really like this animated map https://www.windy.com/?20.262,-68.280,7 with forecast .Can see the path of the hurricane with timeline...and set a pin on the map to see the evolution of the wind at a specific spot.

Experts can debate how accurate it is .If is accurate , it's a killer app ....
it is already 2PM Sund 18th, your app shows the storm far off S of PR at that time.
But it is already there scratching along the S Shores with it's Center.
Here you can watch it Live as the Fact where it really is at a given moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.