25 Dominicans stranded at Guatemala airport; Guatemala migration refused their entry

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Dominicanos-varados-en-Guatemala-N-Digital-1024x571.png

A group of 25 Dominicans who had arrived on an Arajet flight from Santo Domingo were repatriated on Monday, 21 November 2022 after Guatemala migration authorities (Guatemalan Migration Institute – IGM) at the La Aurora International Airport did not allow their entry on Friday, 18 November 2022.

In a press release on the decision to not admit the Dominicans, the Guatemalan Migration Institute reiterated its commitment to contribute to the country’s security, promoting a regular, orderly and safe migration.

The IGM says that one of those not admitted has an arrest warrant in force in the Dominican Republic; two others were found to have criminal records. The others “did not comply with the established requirements due to inconsistencies during the interview,” stated the immigration authorities in the press release.

There are five women and 20 men among the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Sounds to me like they were treated given due process while being treated humanly.
Notes should be taken...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sounds to me like they were treated given due process while being treated humanly.
Notes should be taken...
What does this have to do with this thread anyway. All your complaints and this is what you come up with. As they say "What does this have to do with the price of tea in China"??????????

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There are a lot of stories making the rounds on social media of Dominicans being smuggled to the US for $800. I wonder if this might be part of the scam?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are a lot of stories making the rounds on social media of Dominicans being smuggled to the US for $800. I wonder if this might be part of the scam?

My first thought when reading this is that they were headed to the USA border. Recent news has specifically mentioned Dominicans coming in that way. Of course, I could be wrong.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
My first thought when reading this is that they were headed to the USA border. Recent news has specifically mentioned Dominicans coming in that way. Of course, I could be wrong.
Yes, makes sense. No visa required to get on the flight. Join the thousands of other immigrants crossing the border every day from Guatemala into Mexico and on to the US.

I said "scam", but it might actually have been legit and working until the Guatemalans noticed so many Dominicans arriving that they started to check them more closely.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I was always under the impression that going to Guatemala (for Dominicans) was fairly easy so many would use that opportunity to make their way to the US border.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
"The IGM says that one of those not admitted has an arrest warrant in force in the Dominican Republic; two others were found to have criminal records. The others “did not comply with the established requirements due to inconsistencies during the interview,” stated the immigration authorities in the press release."

Facts are a tough thing for some to accept ‼️

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
There was a report (astonishing, right?) on the evening news the other night about the continuing flow of persons crossing the Mexican border.
The reporter walked down the never ending line asking "Where are you coming from" and I'd say over half of about 40 persons indicated they were from the Dominican Republic.
I was surprised to see that many.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I frequently hear on the news about the different illegal immigrant groups crossing into the US. Haitians seem to be the most widely mentioned group(other than Mexicans), followed by Central Americans, then South Americans, Africans, and others. I don't think I've ever heard Dominicans mentioned(?).

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
A group left recently from our campo, final destination the US, via Guatemala, though I couldn't swear to it---- they were not really sure themselves .🤣🤣🤣🤣
They buy a * package*, plane ticket+hotel+ food+ coyotes.
Everybody got through immigration and to the hotel.
However when they made the run for the border, 3 got caught...... and are now back in our campo.

One that undertook the journey is a guy that we bought river crabs off. He sold his motorbike, worked hard, etc..... to put the money together. He got through the first leg of the journey.

Another one, older and fatter, couldn't run for 💩, subsequently got caught and sent back.
I didn't even know he had left until I overheard his " wife" bragging that now " she didnt care, she has mesajero" 🤣🤣🤣🤣.
He sold his car, borrowed money all around for the journey....... talk about bad decisions !

Reactions: JD Jones and cavok