3 financial ways to live in the DR

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Juan lopez, I know your town quite well. I go there often as I have a lovely girlfriend from there. I will be there this weekend if I am feeling better.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
AZB

Santiago is not for everyone.There are plenty of ex-pats who come from big cities in North America and they go to the DR to "live on a tropical island". They dont want to find themselves in the middle of Santiago.I agree that Santiago is cheaper and more convienent when you want to get things done. There is also the absence of "gringo prices as compared to Dominican prices" like you experience on the north coast. You were able to assimilate into Santiago. Many other could not or care not to try. Many ex-pats want to live in the DR but also be a part of an English - speaking community of other ex-pats. This they can find on the North coast but not in Santiago. If an American has a few hundred thousand dollars and wants to buy a condo near the beach in Cabarete and spend the rest of his days laying on the beach, playing golf and eating out in nice restaurants on the North Coast while living in his own community of ex-pats then let him. Dosent sound like a bad idea to me. I think I could live very nicely on the North Coast for $1,500 USD per month (after condo and car are purchased)
Larry

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
What "class" would I fall into?

Let's say I took a break from the rat race and decided to stay or semi-retire in the DR for awhile, assuming the following;

1. Home in suburban SD is paid for
2. Cars are paid for
3. $200K invested locally bearing 10% or $1.6K/monthly as income in USD
4. Household of three
5. Monthly expenses? You guys would know better what to plug in here

At around today's peso rates, my hypothetical monthly income of DOP $60K sounds like it would put me in that dwindling middle class category.

Do-able?:cool:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: What "class" would I fall into?

socuban said:

At around today's peso rates, my hypothetical monthly income of DOP $60K sounds like it would put me in that dwindling middle class category.

Do-able?:cool:

$60K DR would put you at a point looking up at Lower middle Class. If such a thing still exisits in the DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
60,000 pesos a month will do it!!

Today! But inflation is about 100% over the last 12 months!

I have no house payment,car payment,or other "Big Ticket" to pay each month.I know how to get the most "Pop For My Peso",and we are a ("House of 10) who get along just fine on 60,000 a month.If I sent my kids to a "First Class English Language School" I would need another 60 thousand!!I have medical insurance where I work.We spend a lot on first class food!

My 2 cents worth.CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

drvuswld

Nov 11, 2003
hey all...

We have $2250/mo. US Gov. income, but would have to rent & have car pmt. of $425...what's that make us? SOL? :confused:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
If you keep receiving that money in USD, it is a vast sum over here. Less your car payment, its $1825*38 = RD$69350/month.

The average salary here is $6000 - $8000/month. Just keep in mind that the exchange rate is fluctuating wildly, something most americans are not used to. That will change. But by any standards, USD $1800/month will do you really well here.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Re: Re: What "class" would I fall into?

Tony C said:
$60K DR would put you at a point looking up at Lower middle Class. If such a thing still exisits in the DR.

What's the *magic* number/range to be on par?

Does $80-120K DOP/month disposable income put me in the middle of the middle class? ;)

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
heeheee

If you are comfortable why would you want to be in the lower, middle, or upper class.
How about being in a class of your own?
Then again that is only me thinking out loud....maybe that wouldn't work for you right?
Maybe you are the type of person who like everybody to know what you have, and what you can show - show off that is!

hehehe. This board really get funny at time. And I find that as I read some of the comments here I lmao. Hehe

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
After buying all the furniture and a car you will live very well with 60K / month. Even if the peso devaluates more, who cares, you have your funds in dollars (right?).

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
$1500....

that would be like $50 a day right? yeah! Can't do much outing with that after supermarket and utilities?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Why the concern about class?

I'll have approx $2700 US(3500 CANADIAN) plus my wife's income to live off. With 3 children gone, if I can't live off that, there would be something wrong with my budgeting abilities. Money will not give you class, a rich chopo is still a chopo.

drvuswld

Nov 11, 2003
:alien: Think I got lost here....ummmm....SURVIVAL and living in relative comfort zone (your own upbringing/etc) are what's being discussed here, right??? :alien:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Why the concern about class?

bob saunders said:
I'll have approx $2700 US(3500 CANADIAN) plus my wife's income to live off. With 3 children gone, if I can't live off that, there would be something wrong with my budgeting abilities. Money will not give you class, a rich chopo is still a chopo.

Bob,

We we say "Class" in this thread we are talking about "Economic Class" not "Social Class"

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Social Class vs. Economic Class

Social Class vs. Economic Class
In Latin America social class is what counts. Social class comes down to a good family name, prestige and the racial/color category you fall into. You must have a very good command of language, conduct yourself properly, look like a gentleman or a lady and act like it if you want to be looked up to and be treated with deference. It does not really matter that your economic level may be low and that your life style is limited by your limited income. Your social class will be much higher than your income and that has an important and positive psychological impact on your self esteem.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jalene0214

Apr 9, 2005
About to move to Santo Domingo

:cool: :cool: So it i want to be able to live at upper middle class for the next 6 months with no worries how much money should i be prepared to take with me? :cool: :cool:

faer

Jan 6, 2005
wayyyy outdated....prepare yourself...nothing said here compares to the real cost of life over here....
do I sound a little bit shocked?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
hmmm, everything but the car...

OK, you can buy food, pay your utility bills and insurance(s) on a monthly income. You may also rent a home instead of owning (as long you don't get reasonable home financing). But what do you do about cars? Face it, if you don't live in Santiago or Santo Domingo you will want to have a car and if so, around these roads, it better be a serious Jeepeta. Jeepetas are expensive but still middle classy. You can't lease a car in the DR (now can you? I mean at at reasonable rate). You could just asume that you start out with a car, but cars do age rapidly around these roads... so, you will have to put money on the side each month for a future new one.
... J-D.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
faer said:
wayyyy outdated....prepare yourself...nothing said here compares to the real cost of life over here....
do I sound a little bit shocked?
Well in 2002 when I originated the thread things did make sense. Now things have changed as they so often do in countries that exist on the fringe or reality.

Escott