40 floor hard rock hotel to be built in SD

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You compare SD with Rome and YOU wanna talk apples and oranges? Lol

he has delusions of grandeur. what he needs to know is that most of the people who go to the DR are sent there by tour operators. many have never heard of the Dominican Republic. Rome, on the other hand....

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
he has delusions of grandeur. what he needs to know is that most of the people who go to the DR are sent there by tour operators. many have never heard of the Dominican Republic. Rome, on the other hand....

LOL!!!! Rome? Most the People in the world can't even tell in what country Rome is at! LOL!!!

That was found out during a study carried out more than 10 years back.

Dominican Republic is becoming known in the world and I can bet you a person in China will hear about the DR before they get to know where Rome is at...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
image_content_6070763_20160113191820.jpg

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I don't know if it's the rendering of the picture, but it looks completely out of place.

I am not worried about the waste water, but I do worry about the already existing traffic jams in Lincoln. How's that going to be when the hotel is ready.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
LOL!!!! Rome? Most the People in the world can't even tell in what country Rome is at! LOL!!!

Dominican Republic is becoming known in the world and I can bet you a person in China will hear about the DR before they get to know where Rome is at...

They will know of Punta Cana or Dominican Republic? Ask 95 percent of people from other countries about Santo Domingo they wont even know what you are talking about. You will get a blank face. Ask the about Punta Cana "oh ya the Dominican Republic I've been there!"

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Is a start!

It is. I have no issue with your positive outlook on the DR. I happen to enjoy the place as well. You stating Santo Domingo drawing more tourist than Punta Cana I would have to disagree. I do not see it happening.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
If drainage was installed in santo domingo ill have to ask the Haitians who dug the canals whare it is.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

actually, a little error there. most people in the DR do not know where Rome is. your study must have been done in the DR. those are the same people who believe that the name of the USA is New York, and who ask me all the time if it snows in Jamaica.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
actually, a little error there. most people in the DR do not know where Rome is. your study must have been done in the DR. those are the same people who believe that the name of the USA is New York, and who ask me all the time if it snows in Jamaica.

Couldn't resist..

[video=youtube_share;gm35paVe_i0]https://youtu.be/gm35paVe_i0[/video]

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
24901327005_e00a1d6b5e_b.jpg

You are talking about Anacaona?
It surprises me that this building can be build this tall on this spot, while the neighborhood in the back successfully fought against Hotel Dominican Fiesta building a much shorter building literally on the other side of the street.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Funny, never heard of a building collapsing in Santo Domingo during the earthquake of 2010.

Like bonao told you, I was talking about the island, mea culpa. The island's faultlines don't know of political borders, and if you think for a second that the buildings of this city can withstand such a major earthquake in its immediate vicinity, specially with all the corruption and malpractice plaguing the industry right now, then sir, I have a bridge to sell to you...

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Like bonao told you, I was talking about the island, mea culpa. The island's faultlines don't know of political borders, and if you think for a second that the buildings of this city can withstand such a major earthquake in its immediate vicinity, specially with all the corruption and malpractice plaguing the industry right now, then sir, I have a bridge to sell to you...
Do you have any evidence that the SD towers are not being built up to standards, or you just assume that "since it is in the DR" 'obviously' construction must be shoddy?

I don't know how stupid you think the owners/developers of these buildings are, but unless they are immensely idiotic they are going to make triple sure that the money they invest into these buildings (tens of millions of USD, $50MM in the HR case) is reasonably well protected from earthquakes and anything that may destroy their investment. Wouldn't you do it, if you were the one risking tens of millions of USD in these buildings? They shouldn't be less smart than you are.

Of course, no building is built anywhere capable of surviving an arbitrarily large earthquake. Such building would be impossible to design, and would be prohibitively expensive to build if it was possible. But the people who put tens of millions of USD into these buildings should make sure that they withstand a reasonably strong earthquake, as expected in that area. They may even be inside the building when it strikes! Plus, insurance companies and banks that may be involved will also want to protect their investment. Have you thought of that?

Of course the government may also want to make sure the buildings are earthquake resistant, but, I know you wouldn't trust anything whatsoever done by the Dominican government (or anything Dominican for that matter). That goes without saying.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Do you have any evidence that the SD towers are not being built up to standards, or you just assume that "since it is in the DR" 'obviously' construction must be shoddy?

I don't know how stupid you think the owners/developers of these buildings are, but unless they are immensely idiotic they are going to make triple sure that the money they invest into these buildings (tens of millions of USD, $50MM in the HR case) is reasonably well protected from earthquakes and anything that may destroy their investment. Wouldn't you do it, if you were the one risking tens of millions of USD in these buildings? They shouldn't be less smart than you are.

Of course, no building is built anywhere capable of surviving an arbitrarily large earthquake. Such building would be impossible to design, and would be prohibitively expensive to build if it was possible. But the people who put tens of millions of USD into these buildings should make sure that they withstand a reasonably strong earthquake, as expected in that area. They may even be inside the building when it strikes! Plus, insurance companies and banks that may be involved will also want to protect their investment. Have you thought of that?

Of course the government may also want to make sure the buildings are earthquake resistant, but, I know you wouldn't trust anything whatsoever done by the Dominican government (or anything Dominican for that matter). That goes without saying.

Methinks a cursory search through my posting story should be enough to disprove you or your friend Natu here as far as throwing the anti-Dominican charge my way is concerned, specially regarding all the migratory and historical threads that have been created on this forum around the years I have been here (just ask Gurabo444 or NAL's if you have doubts). Regarding the issue in question, what makes me question the honesty of builders in this country are news like this one: http://hoy.com.do/urgen-medidas-antisismicas-locales-escuelas-hospitales/, the fact that I also saw with my own eyes how some buildings came down during the middle one that hit Puerto Plata in 2003, and how the fact that the use of Haitian quasi slave labor, isn't the only aspect in which builders defraud the people advancing the dole on any given project in this country. I love my country and people, make no mistake, but I'll be damned if I shut my eyes regarding their very evident flaws, and not do my utmost to denounce and make everything on my power to correct them. That, my friend, is the true measure of patriotism.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Methinks a cursory search through my posting story should be enough to disprove you or your friend Natu here as far as throwing the anti-Dominican charge my way is concerned, specially regarding all the migratory and historical threads that have been created on this forum around the years I have been here (just ask Gurabo444 or NAL's if you have doubts). Regarding the issue in question, what makes me question the honesty of builders in this country are news like this one: http://hoy.com.do/urgen-medidas-antisismicas-locales-escuelas-hospitales/, the fact that I also saw with my own eyes how some buildings came down during the middle one that hit Puerto Plata in 2004, and how the fact that the use of Haitian quasi slave labor, isn't the only aspect in which builders defraud the people advancing the dole on any given project in this country. I love my country and people, make no mistake, but I'll be damned if I shut my eyes regarding their very evident flaws, and not do my utmost to denounce and make everything on my power to correct them. That, my friend, is the true measure of patriotism.

Fixed.