42" Plasma Models/Prices/ etc

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Right Side Up

Plasmas are much heavier than LCD's, right? Which has the best picture quality, on average?[/QUOTE

The weight differance is not much if you are talking the exact same size but the better plasmas do tend to be heavier.Also transporting them is tricky they should be standing right side up.
A plasma will produce pure blacks and whites and have better contrast ratios producing more accurate and 3d like image,it also has a faster refresh rate which is good for sports.
On the other hand lcd does not suffer from image retention(burn in) and has no glare issues because the surface is matt unlike a plasma which use a glass protective screen.
hifiman

Wow, I didn't know a plasma must be shipped upright......that is a huge factor knowing there is no chance of it happening, if you plan to "smuggle" it in. Are you sure it is still a bad thing even if you wait to turn it on for a while after you have turned it vertical?
It's Gary, right?
Thanks dude!
Steve

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
free to air?

I still don't know what is "free to air". I googled it, and it seems to be a device that allows you to access satellite programming. Isn't that hacking? Please explain. - D

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Wow, I didn't know a plasma must be shipped upright......that is a huge factor knowing there is no chance of it happening, if you plan to "smuggle" it in. Are you sure it is still a bad thing even if you wait to turn it on for a while after you have turned it vertical?
It's Gary, right?
Thanks dude!
Steve

If you are refering to me it's Roger

Plasma really only comes in 42" or bigger with the exception of Panasonic who has a 37"
Thats a pretty big tv to smuggle in your luggage.
If you lay the plasma on it's side you may never have a problem but the manufacturers will tell you not to transport it that way.
It has nothing to do with plasma gas leaking or shifting as a matter of fact each plasma cell is self contained and very stable.It has more to do with the glass laying flat is much easier to break.
hifiman

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
I still don't know what is "free to air". I googled it, and it seems to be a device that allows you to access satellite programming. Isn't that hacking? Please explain. - D

Thats exactly what it is.I don't that any other explanation can be given unless you want to know the way it works.
It sounds better to say you have FTA then saying you have stolen satellite signal.
Makes the crime seem almost ok.
hifiman

BTW that does not mean I'm opposed to it so please no debates on whether it is really theft or not.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
My friend bought a 32" Vizio LCD for $599, could I just check it in the original box, the box will have a handle and is managable. Also, can I claim it as a computer monitor to avoid tax.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
My friend bought a 32" Vizio LCD for $599, could I just check it in the original box, the box will have a handle and is managable. Also, can I claim it as a computer monitor to avoid tax.

No problem shipping it that way,as far as customs go you would better suited hearing from sombody who has experience with that.I have no idea what the duty is.
hifiman

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
No problem shipping it that way,as far as customs go you would better suited hearing from sombody who has experience with that.I have no idea what the duty is.
hifiman

Thanks alot, I was wondering because the original box is pretty secured and is used to ship country wide.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have not read this thread but I would like to make my input into this matter.
There are no HD channels which are broad-casted in DR. Its a possibility to receive satellite HD channels if you get the HD receiver and know how to connect it properly to your HD TV. You would need the special HD receiver and the required sized dishes to get the reception. Almost all the HD tvs sold in DR are older models and are all 720P (720 lines progressive resolution). In USA, almost 95% of HD tvs sold are 720P resolution thats because almost all channels are broadcasting in this format. Note, this is not the true HD format. The true HD format is 1080P resolution. This is the format the newer HD-DVD and blue ray DVD is using. Which means, if you get the new HD-DVD players, you will not get the complete resolution on a 720P format TV. the picture will be downgraded to fit into your TV screen. The newer LCD and Plasmas are coming in 1080P resolution (not just a TV set that can display 1080P broadcast). the difference is that all 720P set will show video which is recorded in 1080P but you will see the down graded version of it to fit into a TV which is only 720P. Do you get my point? The true 1080P TV will show all the details of a 1080P recording and, thus, you will see the true HD resolution.
Stay away from sharp 46 inch LCD 1080P version. It has factory defects. Wait till the prices come down and buy a real HD 1080P true resolution.
AZB

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
AZB your statement about the amount of HD broadcasting from the US that is 720p vs. 1080i is not completely accurate. Interested parties can find the accurate information on the web sites of various broadcasters and satellite and cable servicer providers.

It is true that you need an HD receiver and compatible dish to receive and view HD broadcast video in the DR. As we know, many will buy the monitors to "figurear" even though they may not be able to use the expensive capability.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
I have not read this thread but I would like to make my input into this matter.
There are no HD channels which are broad-casted in DR. Its a possibility to receive satellite HD channels if you get the HD receiver and know how to connect it properly to your HD TV. You would need the special HD receiver and the required sized dishes to get the reception. Almost all the HD tvs sold in DR are older models and are all 720P (720 lines progressive resolution). In USA, almost 95% of HD tvs sold are 720P resolution thats because almost all channels are broadcasting in this format. Note, this is not the true HD format. The true HD format is 1080P resolution. This is the format the newer HD-DVD and blue ray DVD is using. Which means, if you get the new HD-DVD players, you will not get the complete resolution on a 720P format TV. the picture will be downgraded to fit into your TV screen. The newer LCD and Plasmas are coming in 1080P resolution (not just a TV set that can display 1080P broadcast). the difference is that all 720P set will show video which is recorded in 1080P but you will see the down graded version of it to fit into a TV which is only 720P. Do you get my point? The true 1080P TV will show all the details of a 1080P recording and, thus, you will see the true HD resolution.
Stay away from sharp 46 inch LCD 1080P version. It has factory defects. Wait till the prices come down and buy a real HD 1080P true resolution.
AZB

Azb you are correct however Bell and Dishnet are launching mpeg4 this summer that will broadcast full 720P and 1080I. Also the first wave of HD-DVD players were full 1080I and not 1080P, only this coming spring will Toshiba launch its first 1080P player.The only tv to date that is capable of accepting a true 1080p signal is the Pioneer PRO-HD1 at a wopping price tag of $9999.99 Canadian.I am staring at it as I type.
The next generation of Lcd and Plasma will have some true 1080P models.
And your right the new 46" and 52" models from Sharp were very disappointing.They came out of their new G7 plant which is a joint effort between japanese companies to be able to produce LCD in larger sizes at more affordable methods.This will eventually lead to lower prices and the technology will certainly get betterwhich I believe may lead to Plasmas demise.
Well that and the new competing formats coming SED and LED.
hifiman

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for detailed info hifiman, you truely stand up to your name. keep us informed on latest gizmo. I love big boy toys.
AZB

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Thanks for detailed info hifiman, you truely stand up to your name. keep us informed on latest gizmo. I love big boy toys.
AZB

Any time

We actually specialize in home theater and distributed audio, as well as Heating and lighting control,all controled from one area or from your laptop. If you forget to turn your alarm on or leave the lights on or even turning up the heat before you get home you just log in and control whatever you want.
Tv's are just a necessary part of that.
hifiman

Sep 19, 2005
I dont know where people are finding $600 32" LCD tvs?

And who is making them?.

I just bought a new 32" Panasonic HDMI LCD TV from Circuit city 2 weeks ago and it was $1090!!!!!!!!! not $599... they have an off name there for $700 and the picture was awful!!!!!!! Even when i asked her if they could 'adjust" that picture...the sales lady said..."no".......

I dont know how anyone would get a 32" tv in their luggage through the Dominican airport xray machines with out it being OBVIOUIS to the person working the machine. The TV has to weigh 50 lbs alone.

bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004

And who is making them?.

I just bought a new 32" Panasonic HDMI LCD TV from Circuit city 2 weeks ago and it was $1090!!!!!!!!! not $599... they have an off name there for $700 and the picture was awful!!!!!!! Even when i asked her if they could 'adjust" that picture...the sales lady said..."no".......

I dont know how anyone would get a 32" tv in their luggage through the Dominican airport xray machines with out it being OBVIOUIS to the person working the machine. The TV has to weigh 50 lbs alone.

bob

OK Bob get your pen & paper out,

Costco is selling a 32" Vizio for $599 bucks, Costco.com

It's also one of the best budget LCDs in the market of course its not a samsung but its decent enough for general everday use. Vizio L32HDTV Reviews. Flat-panel and Plasma TVs Reviews by CNET.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005

And who is making them?.

bob

You are so correct they are junk.I won,t even bring the stuff into my store.

BTW that panasonic you bought is just about the best 32" lcd on the market.I don't know if you know this or not but it has a thick piece if plexi like material that protects the lcd from getting distorted when you touch the screen.It also has no off axis color loss which is a big problem with cheaper lcd.
hifiman

ron-anejo

Dec 17, 2006
32" Lcd

I just went through 3 tvs! Sanyo FORGET IT !! SHARP if its not an Acuos FORGET them also
I have a great home theater Samsung so I bought a 32" ,it wieghts 37 lbs.
I paid $1399 cdn. with tax (future shop)and $70 for wall mounted arm on e-bay.
THE TV IS FANTASTIC , 26" are around $999(less tax) the smaller are not cheaper, BUY A 32" or 40" and LG 32" or 37" they are nice also.
My home theater is not HD and I will not buy a dvd hd untill they figure out the format. THERE are 2 now BLU-RAY and the other .
If you remember BETA and VHS it is the same.ONE WILL WIN OUT AND THE OTHER WILL, well you know.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
OK Bob get your pen & paper out,

Costco is selling a 32" Vizio for $599 bucks, Costco.com

It's also one of the best budget LCDs in the market of course its not a samsung but its decent enough for general everday use. Vizio L32HDTV Reviews. Flat-panel and Plasma TVs Reviews by CNET.

Sorry but I would take what any review site or magazine says with a grain of salt.

No body has a secret formula for making high quality lcd at bargain basement prices.Reality of Vizio is it is just another cheap chinese manufactured tv that has someone behind it with enough money to market it as the next thing.Ask me in two years what happened to Vizio and where can you get it serviced.No wait I will give you the answer now "I don't know what happened they were here and now there not"

If you don,t think so just look at the names that have surged in the last 2 years alone and know try to find them. Acer,Prima, benQ and soon to be added to that list LG, and if you don't believe that check the stock markets and you will see that LG electronics division is hemeraging money.
hifiman

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
I just went through 3 tvs! Sanyo FORGET IT !! SHARP if its not an Acuos FORGET them also
I have a great home theater Samsung so I bought a 32" ,it wieghts 37 lbs.
I paid $1399 cdn. with tax (future shop)and $70 for wall mounted arm on e-bay.
THE TV IS FANTASTIC , 26" are around $999(less tax) the smaller are not cheaper, BUY A 32" or 40" and LG 32" or 37" they are nice also.
My home theater is not HD and I will not buy a dvd hd untill they figure out the format. THERE are 2 now BLU-RAY and the other .
If you remember BETA and VHS it is the same.ONE WILL WIN OUT AND THE OTHER WILL, well you know.

Yes Samsung makes a good lcd as long as you buy their Bordeau series.

As far the HD-DVD and BLU-RAY war goes yes it will be a contest for sure,But they are not revolutionary technologies.But just a upgrade from dvd technology. The beta and vhs war was different because the technology was new to everybody and changed the way we live it even spurned new businesses like the video rental and how movies are made. Dvd can not hold that distinction.
Yes HD-DVD and BLU-RAY are better but their days are numbered,time is not on their side.
Reason for this? Video streaming and Home based lan sytems,Basically super hard drives that can except mpeg4 compression.Blockbuster is already spent millions of dollars in anticipation of this.
Imagine being able to rent your favourite movie right from your pc based tv and have the movie down loaded to your lan based hardrive,and after you watch it a few times it is deleted from your sytem.All HD quality by the way,DVD will be the last format that will require you to need software.
hifiman

Sep 19, 2005
Ricardo900....hey I saw the Vizio in a walmart store....for about that price...and since I never heard of it, I wasnt about to buy it.

did you read the part where i was looking at the picture quality and the cheapo wasnt even in the same ballpark...and the Panasonic wasnt even hooked up to a digital reciever when i saw it originally in the store, and its picture was way better.

you cant just compare the screen size and price....you have to at least SEE the picture quality... and then think about the other features that you get as well....

but with anything that people WANT... the DR will tax the crap out of it....

computers cars and higher end electronics....they see dollar signs.

and apparently from another post in another thread.....the actual import tax is small...it is all the residual "taxes" that add up........so they still get you...

Id hate to have to sit at the airport to fight for hours or even a few days to get my item in with me......AND THEN STILL PAY THE HEAVY TAX

bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
but with anything that people WANT... the DR will tax the crap out of it....

computers cars and higher end electronics....they see dollar signs.

and apparently from another post in another thread.....the actual import tax is small...it is all the residual "taxes" that add up........so they still get you...

Id hate to have to sit at the airport to fight for hours or even a few days to get my item in with me......AND THEN STILL PAY THE HEAVY TAX

bob

You are right, that's the deal-breaker Bob, trying to get it past airport customs without being raped with taxes. Without a guarantee hookup, would it be worth it?