42" Plasma Models/Prices/ etc

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Sorry but I would take what any review site or magazine says with a grain of salt.

No body has a secret formula for making high quality lcd at bargain basement prices.Reality of Vizio is it is just another cheap chinese manufactured tv that has someone behind it with enough money to market it as the next thing.Ask me in two years what happened to Vizio and where can you get it serviced.No wait I will give you the answer now "I don't know what happened they were here and now there not"

If you don,t think so just look at the names that have surged in the last 2 years alone and know try to find them. Acer,Prima, benQ and soon to be added to that list LG, and if you don't believe that check the stock markets and you will see that LG electronics division is hemeraging money.
hifiman

I agree with you, that's why I opted for the Samsung, but my friend just picked up his Vizio and is testing it now.

Hifi, what's your opinion on the upconverting DVD players like the Samsung DVDHD-960, which supposed to convert regular dvds to Hi-Def quality??

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Imagine being able to rent your favourite movie right from your pc based tv and have the movie down loaded to your lan based hardrive,and after you watch it a few times it is deleted from your sytem.All HD quality by the way,DVD will be the last format that will require you to need software.
hifiman

I do that now through my xbox360, I can buy HiDef movies through microsoft's market place, download the movies or tv-shows on my xbox hardrive and watch them in Hi-Def on my LCD.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
I do that now through my xbox360, I can buy HiDef movies through microsoft's market place, download the movies or tv-shows on my xbox hardrive and watch them in Hi-Def on my LCD.

Suprisingly the Samsung dvd works very well but is is not as good has HD-DVD but still very good.Good bang for the buck at $99.99.

With Xbox 360 you need to buy the HD-DVD drive and attach it to it first.At least that is the case with the first gen HD,but they might have possibly changed that with the next gen coming out.
Historically though gaming systems have always been slower to load and have inferior sound quality compared to stand alone units.
hifiman

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hifiman, I have the benq 6200 DLP projector and I am very impressed with the resolution. I just don't know how much better the HD dvd will produce the image. I am shocked to see the details my XGA projector produces when hooked up as a monitor of a PC. Is there any real need for a HD dvd when the double layered dvd produces such high detail?
AZB

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Check my post

Check my post on customs ripoffs and wait until crafta fully kicks in walmart, sears and others will be coming and really screw these dominican ripoffs. They pay there employees nothing and still make over 30%. If you are a forigerner they think you are rich and no laws apply to us. There is no justice in this country for GRINGOS.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Hifiman, I have the benq 6200 DLP projector and I am very impressed with the resolution. I just don't know how much better the HD dvd will produce the image. I am shocked to see the details my XGA projector produces when hooked up as a monitor of a PC. Is there any real need for a HD dvd when the double layered dvd produces such high detail?
AZB

Thats up to you and your eyes.The difference in non techical terms is 4 times greater picture quality then it's conventional conterparts,and it's because of the software and not the tv itself. The 6200 is a pretty good unit but will not produce 1080P through hdmi so you would be regulated to 1080I HD or BLU-RAY units.
All I can tell you is on a large projector for me the difference was night and day.
Test it for yourself go buy one, that is if they sell them in Santiago and if you can't see the difference return it and you have your answer.
To date I have not had 1 customer that cannot tell the difference.
hifiman

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have not seen a HD projector yet. I am sure they have a day and night difference. i will wait to buy a true HD projector when the prices come down and the blue ray - HD dvd are as common as the common dvd players. hopefully we will have HD reception in DR by then via cable. I know we are a long time away from this fantasy in this island.
Hifiman, I am truly enjoying your posts on this subject.
AZB

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
I have not seen a HD projector yet. I am sure they have a day and night difference. i will wait to buy a true HD projector when the prices come down and the blue ray - HD dvd are as common as the common dvd players. hopefully we will have HD reception in DR by then via cable. I know we are a long time away from this fantasy in this island.
Hifiman, I am truly enjoying your posts on this subject.
AZB

Glad I can help AZB

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
walmart, sears and others will be coming and really screw these dominican ripoffs.

Even if these stores were to come to the DR, most likely they would adjust/up their prices to current DR levels, perhaps slightly below, but certainly not US Wallmart prices. Just look at what Burger King, Taco Bell & co cost in the DR. Carrefur is a french chain Wallmart-type store. I know this chain from other countries, their prices here are completely "DR adjusted".

The only solution to this Aduana problem is if the DR goverment finds a replacement for this cash-cow. Its not uncommon, Brazil in the 80's was a highly self-protected market as well. They had their own automobile, computer and other industries, import of products that competed with local-made products did not exist at all (= no computer or car imports, strict laws, no "propina" would get past it.).

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Pricesmart Models and Prices

Was at Pricesmart yesterday and took down the information on what they had in stock with respect to models and prices. List is below. Would love some comments on these models and comparitive pricing in N. America from those in the know...thanks tom

Sony Grand Wega Projection LCD 55" $99,900 model kdf-55e2000
Sony Grand Wega projection LCD 46" $77,900 model kdf-46e2000
AKAI DLP 46" $89,999 model pt46dl10stad
these above three are not flat

AKAI 42" Plasma $89,999 model pap4237m
Philips 42" LCD HD $84,999 model 42pf5421d
Magnavox 42" Plasma HD $69,999 model 42mf231d
Sony Bravia 40" $92,799 model klv40v100m
Akai 37" LCD $61,999 model lct3785ta

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Was at Pricesmart yesterday and took down the information on what they had in stock with respect to models and prices. List is below. Would love some comments on these models and comparitive pricing in N. America from those in the know...thanks tom

Check out J&R's prices: http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.process?Section_Path=/Video_-_TV/TV/

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
You can get a new model Akai 42" for about $40,000RD & the Sony Bravia 40" for about $60,000 give or take if you buy it online or an old fashioned brick & mortar. Please note the above prices is for NEW (Non-refurbished models) and current models.

In my opinion, in the DR you can come across alot of refurbished and old models selling as new when they are not. Somebody over-there is probably gettng rich.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
You can get a new model Akai 42" for about $40,000RD & the Sony Bravia 40" for about $60,000 give or take if you buy it online or an old fashioned brick & mortar. Please note the above prices is for NEW (Non-refurbished models) and current models.

In my opinion, in the DR you can come across alot of refurbished and old models selling as new when they are not. Somebody over-there is probably gettng rich.

Are you saying you can get these prices down here in the DR? If so, Please let me know the store and website you are referring to. thanks tom

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Are you saying you can get these prices down here in the DR? If so, Please let me know the store and website you are referring to. thanks tom

Those prices are for TVs in american stores, he wanted a comparison between the ones here in NA and the ones there in the DR. I just converted the prices at 32 to 1.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005

The Sony KDF-55E2000 and 46E2000 are rear projection lcd and use a bulb that has to be replaced every 5 to 8 thousand hours. The bulbs sell for $299 Canadian. I would stay away from them because the bulb has a fan that needs to cool the bulb after you turn it off,and with all the power interuptions in the DR that bulb won't last long.
Of all those models the Sony and the Philips are the only ones made by the manufacturer.Although the Sony model does not exist in Canada it may be an American model.

Stay far away from DLP you are buying a horse and buggy when you really want a car.
hifiman

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004

Thats not as bad as I seen elsewhere. I recall some projection TVs around 50" costing 130-150.000 R$ in PL and Carrefur some months back.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Today

At Plaza Lama I can only say TWhitehead's prices are spot on and they were maybe 1 or 2 thousand cheaper than PriceSmart but a better selection overall. HiFiman, without going thru all the responses, did you say LG is not a good brand to buy?
They had the best prices on 42" and below. Phillips and Sony were a bit high. And after 42" you're paying here a lot of money to get to 50" or so. You seem to be the man to listen to here. I'm not willing to go through the hassle of importing from the US for various reasons. Prices were about $3K USD for a 42"!! but hey, it that's the price its the price. I'd hate to think I'm buying used and refurbed equipment for that price.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
The Sony KDF-55E2000 and 46E2000 are rear projection lcd and use a bulb that has to be replaced every 5 to 8 thousand hours. The bulbs sell for $299 Canadian. I would stay away from them because the bulb has a fan that needs to cool the bulb after you turn it off,and with all the power interuptions in the DR that bulb won't last long.
Of all those models the Sony and the Philips are the only ones made by the manufacturer.Although the Sony model does not exist in Canada it may be an American model.

Stay far away from DLP you are buying a horse and buggy when you really want a car.
hifiman

Hifiman:

Thank you Hifiman - that is the advice I was looking for.

In my research the Magnavox (made by Philips) seems to be the best bang for the dollar. On-line prices I found were Philips-$1700 US; Magnavox - $1400-1699 US; Sony Bravia - $1100 US, Akai 42 Plasma - $949 US. (Not pricing DLP and rear proj LCD on your advice.) At 69,999 RD$ it seems to be the closest priced to the US market. Any comments on specs of Magnavox vs. others from a TV guy like yourself would be greatly appeciated. Any comparitive prices from Santo Domingo also appreciated...thanks tom

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Hifiman:

Thank you Hifiman - that is the advice I was looking for.

In my research the Magnavox (made by Philips) seems to be the best bang for the dollar. On-line prices I found were Philips-$1700 US; Magnavox - $1400-1699 US; Sony Bravia - $1100 US, Akai 42 Plasma - $949 US. (Not pricing DLP and rear proj LCD on your advice.) At 69,999 RD$ it seems to be the closest priced to the US market. Any comments on specs of Magnavox vs. others from a TV guy like yourself would be greatly appeciated. Any comparitive prices from Santo Domingo also appreciated...thanks tom

Out of all of those models the Sony Bravia has the best picture,but look guys buy according to your pocket book.Not everybody wants or needs to have the best wether they can afford it or not.The problem with buying online is you can't test drive it and you have to rely more on other peoples say so.So I still maintain that if you stick with a name brand you are more likely to end up getting a decent tv.

I thumb my nose at cheap brands because my business model is towards high end and thats my clientel.
Right now my installers are putting 4 52" sharp Aquos in a garage(who does that) that houses about 5 million in antique cars.

Akia is just a name plate that was big in the 70's with hifi,they went out of business and the name was purchased by someone and it has now resurfaced as a tv brand.

Good call on the DLP and rear LCD eventually it will cost you more then a panel will.
hifiman

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
At Plaza Lama I can only say TWhitehead's prices are spot on and they were maybe 1 or 2 thousand cheaper than PriceSmart but a better selection overall. HiFiman, without going thru all the responses, did you say LG is not a good brand to buy?
They had the best prices on 42" and below. Phillips and Sony were a bit high. And after 42" you're paying here a lot of money to get to 50" or so. You seem to be the man to listen to here. I'm not willing to go through the hassle of importing from the US for various reasons. Prices were about $3K USD for a 42"!! but hey, it that's the price its the price. I'd hate to think I'm buying used and refurbed equipment for that price.

LG is a Korean manufacturer and a large one at that.Having said that we found that the product was not as advertised in terms of picture quality and dependability.We sold LG for a short period of time and could not get it out of our store fast enough.

But please read my earlier post we sell higher end and it did not fit with our business.
Still the nail in the coffin for us was about a 25% return rate with customers that were dissatisfied with the performance.Compare that to almost 0% with all of are other brands we carry and it is easy to see what type of tv we were dealing with.
In terms of dependabilty the undisputed king is Panasonic,they enjoy almost 99% dependability rate,They just don't break.
hifiman