44% would not suffice

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
8 out of 12 teachers in this public school in POP do not know when cristobal colon arrived to hispaniola...
De 12 maestros consultados en centro educativo de Pto Pta, sobre cuando Crist?bal Colon descubri? nuestra isla solo 4 respondieron correctamente 8 no sab?an (ver Videos)

[video=youtube;LfOUC-BHfLs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfOUC-BHfLs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

and they want more money? how about more brains?
What qualifies a teacher to teach in the DR?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Does the BA acronym mean the same in our countries, or does it refer to something different like "bare ass"?

Depends. If they have the two year degree in basic education r degree from a local college then it's gives them the opportunity to get a teaching job in either the public system or private. Like any other profession there are good ones and bad ones.
Those that get a degree at PUMMC or UASD...etc are actually educated reasonably well and can be competent teachers. One of our best teachers is a Psychologist, not a teacher. As most of them are the product of the public education system they haven't received a good foundation in anything.
Our secretary went through the public system and she's pretty knowledgeable but I think that is mainly due to her own efforts.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What qualifies a teacher to teach in the DR?

in public schools there are two types of teachers. there are public teachers who are employed not by school but by ministry of education. they are also paid directly by the MoE. these are often botellas, who have very little education but have done the job for 30 years. then there are private teachers, employed and paid by individual school. they tend to be better educated. private schools in general will employ better teachers and offer better salaries.

Aug 6, 2006
What used to be called a bachillerato in Cuba is roughly equivalent to a high school diploma. At least, a friend of mine had her transcripts evaluated by some group in Miami, and that is what they declared.

Teaching is partly an art, rather than a science, and a practice teaching course mentored by an effective professional teacher is probably the most effective course any education graduate will take.

One problem is teachers that do not know the subject matter. Many English teachers in Japan speak a variety of Engrish that is intelligible mostly only to other Japanese English teachers. That is why Japanese parents send their kids to "cram schools" taught by Americans, Canadians, Australians and Brits.

The other problem is classroom management. There has to be a sort of combination of awe and respect for the teacher that keeps students from clowning around and chattering while the teacher is trying to teach. This is a lot harder in the US and the DR than in other countries, like Japan.

I had a couple of girls in my college Spanish class that would not shut up. They were certainly old enough to not chatter. I told them to sit on opposite sides of the room. One of them said, "you can't make me", and I said, Yes, that is right, but what I CAN do is to announce that there will be a quiz over pages 112 to 115 tomorrow and every day until you move. Then I walked out.

The next day, they were sitting where I had told them to sit. They failed the quiz. But it did solve that problem. In college, you can't send them to the principal's office, or give them detention.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Poor parental input and lack of a reading culture are also major factors here. Middle class and rich kids are often brought up by nannies so the input they are getting at home is not much better than in poor households.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It IS, Worse Than It Looks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 of 12 didn't know when "Colon" arrived, the Other Four, thought he was my "Abuelo"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCris "COLON"

chip NEVER met ANYTHING "DUMBinican" that wasn't better than ANYTHING American, and "BOB" encourages hum!

I have two daughters in grade school here in SD, one son will graduate from university in the spring, "APEC",the other son starts there in January.
The ignorance of their "So Called" teachers is BEYOND AMAZING!!!!!

THANK god, there have ME as a RESOURCE!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 21, 2007
I could jump on the train with you all and give example, after example of the ineffectiveness of both public and some lower end private school educations here, but I won't.

What I will say is that I find Dominican kids motivated to learn. When they leave school and could be playing, they choose, instead, to come for more classes at our community center. They have no encouragement from parents. Their parents are uneducated and they don't care. Yet, the kids come as much as an hour and a half prior to the start of class and wait for me to arrive just so they can learn.

Our participants request more classes than we already have and are able, financially, to provide. We have a small lending library. Interestingly, although the parents can't read, our kids have become eager readers. I have a group of girls who have read every single book we own. Just yesterday, they came to me to ask how much longer will it be until there are new books in the library.

Dominican kids deserve better than they are getting from most schools. They are the future of their country. The country should invest in and follow through in providing good education for all.

Lindsey

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ever since I first visited the DR, 30 years ago, I have told everyone that Dominican children are the most inquisitive, learning loving children I have ever met.
Sadly, after about 16 years of receiving no help, or encouragement, from their parents, or anyone else, they just give up, and become what their parents are.
We need to "Clone" Lindsey, and the few like her that are "Fighting The GOOD FIGHT"!!!!
My kids go to "school" everyday, but are actually,...."Home Schooled"!
They go to school to be socialized, like "Doggy Daycare" where my sister sends her DOG!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 21, 2007
Ah, Chris, you are giving me more credit than I deserve. I don't teach most of the classes. I hire Dominican teachers. I pay them well, but demand much of them. They must arrive 30 minutes prior to class to prepare and remain after class for meetings. They must turn in lessons in advance. As they teach, I work alongside as an aide. Then afterwards, I give them feedback, what they did well and what they could have changed. I listen to their ideas and let them get excited about teaching and learning. I hold myself back and allow them to make mistakes. And I encourage them along the way.

There are only 3 essential ingredients to a successful learning environment, in my opinion. First, you must have teaching materials that kids can touch and hold and use and take home. Secondly, teachers must be as excited about teaching as the kids are about learning, and finally, there must be a teaching coach, someone who knows good teaching practices and can help the teacher hone his/her skills to be the best that he/she can be.

When these 3 elements are in place, the classroom becomes a place where everyone loves to be.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
Hope there is true action behind the educational initiative reported in the dr1 news today. I can't copy and paste the link or the article. (Perhaps someone else can help.....dv8 you are good at this.) Otherwise, you can go to the news page.

Lindsey

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
A Dominican lawyer once asked me, "Jose?to, ?en qu? parte de Nueva York t? vives."

Me: "Yo no vivo en Nueva York; yo vivo en Texas."

Lawyer: "?Y es que t? no sabes que Texas pertenece a Nueva York?"

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Lindsey,.......I am NOT , giving you more credit than you deserve, I am giving you much LESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's MUCH harder to get Dominicans ( teachers in your case) to do the right thing, than to do it yourself!!!!!!
I spent 10 Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong years trying to get doctors and nurses to do it, I finally gave up, just like Dominican children when there is no one to help, and/or encourage them!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Note to "dv", did you study math here, or in Poland??????????????

4 of 12 is 33.3333333333% where I studied!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lick::lick::lick::lick::lick:

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2014
Maybe if it were presented as the start of the gringo invasion it would be studied harder.

It isnt. It is presented as "El Dia del Mejoramiento de la Raza" whatever that means....

The teachers arent supposed to know anything and they are highly effective at disseminating what they dont know unto their students. Why, if they ever composed anything akin to a bourguoise educated class the 1st thing they would do is conspire to kill the elite. But aint no free beer and remesas in that so why bother?

Apr 7, 2014
A Dominican lawyer once asked me, "Jose?to, ?en qu? parte de Nueva York t? vives."

Me: "Yo no vivo en Nueva York; yo vivo en Texas."

Lawyer: "?Y es que t? no sabes que Texas pertenece a Nueva York?"

Many parents are hopelessly lost. There is no recourse. I met a woman and she asked me where I was from and I said Tierra Del Fuego. She asked where was that I said in Chile and Argentina. She said "Oh, I never heard of it and almost my whole family lives in the US." I told her Tierra del Fuego isnt in the USA and much less in the Northern Hemisphere. She was to embarrassed to continue the conversation. I met another person and all she kept asking was how much was the US dollar worth there.

I think all the children start out wanting to learn, they used to call that 'being precocious'. But there is a hustlers culture prevalent here and in the end, people dont see the benefits of learning anything if they can get the opportunity to leave this place and become a Home Health Attendant, or Nurse Assistant in New York and make in a week what they would make in a month here. HHA, PCA, NA are slave jobs. You can call them what you want to "service sector", whatever. They(the women) seldom make 40 hours straight. They seldom get constant hours. The frequently get sick from working so much. But it is a job anybody can do once they come here, $8-10/hour and 30-36 hours a week. And you can be barely literate and do the job. So where is the incentive to learn anything? It is the same for the men, come and get a job driving something, somewhere. The people in-country dont see the lifestyle, the health issues or the sacrifices, they only see the remittances at the window and the purchasing power it brings. So who cares about reading or knowing basic math? How much money are you 'getting'?

I went to a place and the bill was 800pesos x 5 and the person had to use a calculator to figure that out. I read my son's math book and it said in a sentence after describing how to convert fractions into decimals into percentages "Use a calculator to check your work." We didnt do that when I was in school. If you wanted to know if your answer was right you d take all the numbers you had and do the problem in reverse and if the same numbers were achieved in your answer, showing your work, then your answer was correct. You shouldnt have to use a calculator for simple multiplication.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
(Perhaps someone else can help.....dv8 you are good at this.) Otherwise, you can go to the news page.

i put in in post #23 and barker kindly repeated it.

Note to "dv", did you study math here, or in Poland??????????????
4 of 12 is 33.3333333333% where I studied!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lick::lick::lick::lick::lick:

i did not refer to the percentage of teachers. i meant that even 44% of the budget woulds not suffice to fix this mess. :laugh: