44% would not suffice

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You asked, I answered.

Why the snide remark?

BA is Bachelor of Art. Here they call it Licenciado. People put Lic. In front of their names.

yes, it is like some great achievement, to the degree it causes a guy who graduates with a BA to have a title in front his name. kinda like Lord Ramirez. education royalty. i once dated this girl in the capital who was going to UTESA. when she got her bachelors degree, she would end her emails to me with Lic Ana Pujols Diaz.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
yes, it is like some great achievement, to the degree it causes a guy who graduates with a BA to have a title in front his name. kinda like Lord Ramirez. education royalty. i once dated this girl in the capital who was going to UTESA. when she got her bachelors degree, she would end her emails to me with Lic Ana Pujols Diaz.

Well TBH to graduate university in the DR is still a fairly big deal. In other parts of the world people have letters added to their names too upon finishing University.

Many here do not go all the way for a Master, which would be a Dr. here. There is almost no possibility to get an actual Phd Doctorate in most fields on the island.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Many here do not go all the way for a Master, which would be a Dr. here. There is almost no possibility to get an actual Phd Doctorate in most fields on the island.

MA is called maestria here. i know few dominicans who got this far with their education. i do not know anyone with phd thou, although now few universities facilitate that (in conjunction with american unis).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well TBH to graduate university in the DR is still a fairly big deal. In other parts of the world people have letters added to their names too upon finishing University.

The title thing is not a Dominican thing, it's a Latin American thing. I have a few Mexican and Costa Rican friends that have their titles before their name.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Chip has three Dominican children who attend Dominican schools ( private Catholic) so he would be a little more attuned to what they are learning at that age. I assure you that they are literate.

And the price of tea in China is....

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
MA is called maestria here. i know few dominicans who got this far with their education. i do not know anyone with phd thou, although now few universities facilitate that (in conjunction with american unis).

Yes it is called Meastria, but the graduate calls himself Doctor afterwards. I.e. Lic. Dr. Alphonso Gomez Rodriguez.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There is no question that education is important. We can debate the merits of higher education without ever arriving at a consensus. In any country, the minimum standard must be that the citizenry is proficient in reading, writing, the fundamentals of mathematics, geography and history. Everything else is icing on the cake. I am still waiting to make use of the calculus I was force fed at the end of high school.

If Dominican kids are taught the 3 R's, their place in the world, their own history and the history of others, then they would be in good stead to take control of their lives and grow as individuals and make a lasting positive impact on their families and their country.

The usefulness of a University education is immaterial within a population that cannot spell cerveza and cannot appreciate that 2 out of 3 of their neighbors are just like them.

In my opinion, it is incumbent on any government that makes the claim of "caring" about their citizens to ensure that each generation has the basic knowledge to appreciate and function within their own society and be able to interact with the global society. Basic education (3 R's + 2) is not difficult nor expensive. Kids are sponges, present the material, have them practice and they will absorb and retain it.

It is when schools become instruments of social engineering and change that we start to see big problems. Here in the DR, if the parents can read, I'm confident they would ensure their kids can do the same. The DR needs a standard curriculum for teachers to achieve and the kids to strive for. At this stage in the country's development, this curriculum need not be more than a few pages long.

If Jose gets a MBA contract when he is 18 for $1.3 million/year and plays ball for 6.25 years, how much money would Jose make in his career? If his manager tells Jose he will make $4.62 million, does Jose know he needs a new manager? Can Jose read the service contract his manager just had him sign?

Aug 21, 2007
If Jose gets a MBA contract when he is 18 for $1.3 million/year and plays ball for 6.25 years, how much money would Jose make in his career? If his manager tells Jose he will make $4.62 million, does Jose know he needs a new manager? Can Jose read the service contract his manager just had him sign?

Generally, I agree with you. However, the example you cite goes beyond what, in education, is typically thought of as math in the 3 R's. Your example is problem solving, a skill lacking in this country, but taught daily in first world schools. If children are not taught to solve problems and think things through, they will not hold the skills necessary to prepare them for the workforce of the future. Current education theorists believe that technology will eventually replace the need for some memorization, but problem solving skills will be increasingly necessary for the future.

(And due to the neoliberal world stance, education is now packaged for economic advancement, with the goal of building a country of productive workers who can build the economy.)

Lindsey

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yes it is called Meastria, but the graduate calls himself Doctor afterwards. I.e. Lic. Dr. Alphonso Gomez Rodriguez.

i thought they called themselves magister? we had this nasty client in the pharmacy who used to call and say "this is licenciada dumbmoron speaking" to which i always responded "this is magister speaking, how can i help?"

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
And the price of tea in China is....

The purpose of your post is?
My wife prior to hiring any of the teachers or assistants at the school gives them a test that consists of a mixture of Grade 5 math, Grade Eight math, and Grade 5 Spanish and history, with a few other questions on other subjects. Most applicants fail the math and history parts. Many of the younger applicants that have just finished high school do much better with the English and Math.
Everyone has heard of the dumbing down of America; the DR just needs to Smarten-up. It is relatively easy to spend more money on Education and introduce new educational approaches but it takes generations to make incremental changes to the attitude towards education for a whole country and culture.
Some people sent their children to a private school for the social status but the majority really want and hope their children receive a better education.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is no question that education is important. We can debate the merits of higher education without ever arriving at a consensus. In any country, the minimum standard must be that the citizenry is proficient in reading, writing, the fundamentals of mathematics, geography and history. Everything else is icing on the cake. I am still waiting to make use of the calculus I was force fed at the end of high school.

If Dominican kids are taught the 3 R's, their place in the world, their own history and the history of others, then they would be in good stead to take control of their lives and grow as individuals and make a lasting positive impact on their families and their country.

The usefulness of a University education is immaterial within a population that cannot spell cerveza and cannot appreciate that 2 out of 3 of their neighbors are just like them.

In my opinion, it is incumbent on any government that makes the claim of "caring" about their citizens to ensure that each generation has the basic knowledge to appreciate and function within their own society and be able to interact with the global society. Basic education (3 R's + 2) is not difficult nor expensive. Kids are sponges, present the material, have them practice and they will absorb and retain it.

It is when schools become instruments of social engineering and change that we start to see big problems. Here in the DR, if the parents can read, I'm confident they would ensure their kids can do the same. The DR needs a standard curriculum for teachers to achieve and the kids to strive for. At this stage in the country's development, this curriculum need not be more than a few pages long.

The DR does have a standard curriculum for both teachers and students. The problem is in the delivery. Most of the teachers have taken teaching not because that is a vocation for them but the possibility of a job, hopefully with the government so they can get a pension, medical insurance, and a decent salary by Dominican standards. They have very little understanding of teaching methodology, classroom management, lesson planning...etc. They need a comprehensive induction program with proper on-the-job training. So , bring in proven teachers that are experts in classroom management and instruction skills. Have them coach the best and brightest of Dominican teachers to spread the skills.
Retain a coach(lead teacher) in each school to help new teachers develop the skills in the most important subjects as well as classroom management.
Harry K Wong Publications
All of Barbara Coloroso's books should be mandatory reading and testing material for teachers ( Kids are worth it)

Aug 6, 2006
The DR does have a standard curriculum for both teachers and students. The problem is in the delivery. Most of the teachers have taken teaching not because that is a vocation for them but the possibility of a job, hopefully with the government so they can get a pension, medical insurance, and a decent salary by Dominican standards. They have very little understanding of teaching methodology, classroom management, lesson planning...etc. They need a comprehensive induction program with proper on-the-job training. So , bring in proven teachers that are experts in classroom management and instruction skills. Have them coach the best and brightest of Dominican teachers to spread the skills.
Retain a coach(lead teacher) in each school to help new teachers develop the skills in the most important subjects as well as classroom management.
Harry K Wong Publications
All of Barbara Coloroso's books should be mandatory reading and testing material for teachers ( Kids are worth it)
==============================================
Are these books available in Spanish?
I have found that there are a huge number of really clever and imaginative books for teaching basic skills in English, but there are not even a twentieth as many available in Spanish.

The best I have found were published, in order, in Puerto Rico, Spain, Mexico and Argentina.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Well, It is indeed an accomplishment , especially when you're poor. With all the hassles you have to go through to graduate, having to work and study at the same time. All you have to spend: transportation, books, even in cheaper universities, tuition is not cheap for a local. Having to travel in cramped mini buses and conchos with people with chickens or dudes with stinky armpits. Having to go even if there's a strike on the road and you could get hurt. Staying home to study while your friends go clubbing, etc. Of course, you feel proud when you graduate!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You don't call yourself a doctor with a Maestr?a. My sister has two, including one abroad, and she doesn't call herself a doctor.

come to think of iti have never seen anyone with maestria use their title along with the name. only laughable licenciados do it. and i say laughable because i know a few and none even knows how to spell. take a seat. your title means nothing.