44% would not suffice

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I know there are many our there that you could say the degree isn't worth the money it cost to print it, but there are many that ern their degree and they know their subject.

bob, the discussion is about morons with degrees, not people with degrees in general.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
bob, the discussion is about morons with degrees, not people with degrees in general.

I see where you're coming from D, but your posts seem to suggest that all the Lic. in DR are uneducated idiots with just a piece of paper. Generalizations are dangerous and unfair.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that i made it clear what kind of "licenciados" i am talking about.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Yep, there are morons from every country that happen to have degrees. One of biggest issues for those attending the state university here , UASD , is the amount of upgrading most students need just to get through the first year. There is a very high drop-out rate the first year as many students are lacking in even meeting the minimum standards for knowledge in the math and sciences.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I have gone to several doctors that have their degrees from UASD and they were good doctors. The same for a number of other professionals I met or had dealings with. Several of the Guzman lawyers I used were graduates of UASD and they were professionals that knew what they were doing. I know there are many our there that you could say the degree isn't worth the money it cost to print it, but there are many that ern their degree and they know their subject.

I completely concur.

I do know some people who use the Dr title after finishing a Doctorada en Leyes at PUCMM. Since I know of no official PhD programs I have always assumed this was comparable to a Maestria, but it may include postdoc work.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
higher education is not for everyone. full stop. people have their limitations and they should recognize that. or would you prefer a moron who does not know the alphabet to teach your kids? what would they learn? how to be stupid, nothing more. would you like an idiot who cannot do basic calculations to design and build your house? would you like a fool to perform a surgery on you?

not everyone can or needs to get higher education. and giving jobs to unqualified people just because they managed to scrap the remains of their brain cells together to get the title of a licenciado is a mistake. hell, to give a title of licenciado to a complete dimwits who cannot read without moving their mouth and following words with their fingers is a mistake and should not happen. this is not striving to BE better. this is striving to SEEM better!

No, I wouldn't like a fool to perform surgery on me. My post came up as an answer to foreign posters who don't understand why on earth a local would consider a Licenciatura an accomplishment. I merely explained why, and what this meant HERE, from a local's perspective.

Not everyone who gets a title is a jackass or a fool. For many people a licenciatura is just one step up. They're aware of this, and and work to fill whatever gaps they end up with.

"Higher education is not for everyone." That's what is said in the gringo world, where even a job as a cleaning lady allows you to pay the rent.
It's like knowing a second language. You guys certainly don't need one, but here it means more money and can make a big difference.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No, I wouldn't like a fool to perform surgery on me. My post came up as an answer to foreign posters who don't understand why on earth a local would consider a Licenciatura an accomplishment. I merely explained why, and what this meant HERE, from a local's perspective.

Not everyone who gets a title is a jackass or a fool. For many people a licenciatura is just one step up. They're aware of this, and and work to fill whatever gaps they end up with.

"Higher education is not for everyone." That's what is said in the gringo world, where even a job as a cleaning lady allows you to pay the rent.
It's like knowing a second language. You guys certainly don't need one, but here it means more money and can make a big difference.

your last posting is so very insightful. i am beginning to think that some people here would be better off dedicating all the time they spend in college getting a degree to learning a foreign language. i think being able to speak fluent english would be more profitable than getting some degree in literature.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

and so does here. it's just a different life. not everyone has intellectual capacity to continue education. it really is not for everyone.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
and so does here. it's just a different life. not everyone has intellectual capacity to continue education. it really is not for everyone.

While I agree with you in regards to intellectual capacity, isn't the educational problem in the DR more of a problem of a deficient system than lack of intellectual capacity of the citizens.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Many, "So Called" universities here in the DR, are "For Profit",...not "For Education"!!!!!!
As long as a student "Pays" he/she "Plays"!!!!!

Basically, you can still get the best "Degree Money Can Buy" here.

As far as "MD's" are concerned, most lay people think a doctor is a "Great Doctor" if he can pretend to be interested in listening to their complaints, smiles a lot, and gives them some "Pills"!
There is no way here in the DR to find out his/her history in the profession.
Same goes for the hospitals.
You don't even want the hear about nurses, and/or technicians!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

My niece just started to study "Medicine" at "La UASD" in Sept.
I'll keep you posted on her "Studies"!!!!
I asked her if they gave her a "Gas Mask" on her first day there????
Those of you who know ANYTHING about "UASD" will "Get That"!!!!!

Great story that "Speaks Volumes" about "UASD".
Last year, the president of the student body was kicked out of the univ.
He was 38 years old, and had been "Working" on his degree in Medicine for 20 years!!!!

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
While I agree with you in regards to intellectual capacity, isn't the educational problem in the DR more of a problem of a deficient system than lack of intellectual capacity of the citizens.

it's connected. many teachers are bad. why? because they are fit for cleaning rather than teaching. yet somehow they received their posts.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Not to the "Med Students"!
You have to be studying "Russian History" to get the "Molotov"!

They all get "Cocktails" however, interpret THAT anyway you wish!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Many, "So Called" universities here in the DR, are "For Profit",...not "For Education"!!!!!!
As long as a student "Pays" he/she "Plays"!!!!!

Basically, you can still get the best "Degree Money Can Buy" here.

As far as "MD's" are concerned, most lay people think a doctor is a "Great Doctor" if he can pretend to be interested in listening to their complaints, smiles a lot, and gives them some "Pills"!
There is no way here in the DR to find out his/her history in the profession.
Same goes for the hospitals.
You don't even want the hear about nurses, and/or technicians!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

My niece just started to study "Medicine" at "La UASD" in Sept.
I'll keep you posted on her "Studies"!!!!
I asked her if they gave her a "Gas Mask" on her first day there????
Those of you who know ANYTHING about "UASD" will "Get That"!!!!!

Great story that "Speaks Volumes" about "UASD".
Last year, the president of the student body was kicked out of the univ.
He was 38 years old, and had been "Working" on his degree in Medicine for 20 years!!!!

Most universities in the USA are for profit schools as well and there are plenty of paper mills everywhere. Your story about the student president speaks volumes about him, not UASD. Yes, all the universities in the DR need improvement in just about every aspect however most students would not be able to afford going if they made all the expensive improvements that would also require students paying larger fees. UASA has at least improved facility wise since the first time I was on campus in 1998.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have children in universities, and grade schools here in the DR.
I HAVE FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS NOW.
THEY SUCK, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now you can tell me that they,..."SUCK" in the USA too, as you must do after anything critical to the DR.
This is DR1, not USA1, so it really doesn't matter now does it?
How about a comparison with CANADA once in a while IF YOU MUST MAKE COMPARISONS TO PROVE YPUR POINT.
Using bad behavior as an excuse for other bad behavior id not valid!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I propose that the problem is some education that is not relevant to the job market PUCMM has some that are: hotel management. Maybe defining the market then evaluating the education available. Then finding teachers qualified to teach the subjects; PUCMM has some of those too.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

CC where are you?????!