45 Things to Eat & Drink In DR

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I do not know anyone that has not tried totones with fried red snapper at one of the beaches in DR.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Those foods look delicious. Can't wait to move down so that I can make the goat. (It's hard to get in the US)

Harley, I'll invite you and your wife over to try it with me.
The Hotel Penabla serves some good Chivo outside.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Speaking of chivo...on our way from SD to the north coast, we usually stop at Tipico Bonao to eat. One trip we saw this little place called [I think] "Plaza del Chivo" so we stopped. Went in, sat down, waitress came over and looked at us expectantly. Mr. AE asked for a menu. She answered "Tenemos chivo" [We have chivo]. He asked what else do they have. She said "Chivo". That's all they had. No choice for sides, etc.

You would think that the chivo was going to taste wonderful, since it's all they do. Not.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
"Plaza del Chivo" so we stopped. Went in, sat down, waitress came over and looked at us expectantly. Mr. AE asked for a menu. She answered "Tenemos chivo" [We have chivo]. He asked what else do they have. She said "Chivo". That's all they had.

ha ha ha, i live for moments like this.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
They are missing chicharron as someone said. How can that not be on the list? Anything people walk around with selling on the street should be on that list!

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but Presidente is cheap beer. I'll take a Bohemia over Presidente any day. It's smoother, more flavorful, cheaper, and stronger! Stella kicks both of their asses out of the water though.

edit: thanks to my wife I've had everything (food) on the list ;)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I don't know if I'm alone in this, but Presidente is cheap beer. I'll take a Bohemia over Presidente any day. It's smoother, more flavorful, cheaper, and stronger! Stella kicks both of their asses out of the water though.

;)

Having a nice, cold Heineken Dark compliments of upper-management watching the World Cup at work.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Chivo is decent but the thing I hate about it is half of meat gets stuck between teeth. Fried fish is ok until you see where they wash and season it. As korean i can have Mondongo with decent amount of hot sauce and if it isn't too gamey. Maybe i need a better cook or restaurant sources but all other dishes are 'meh' to me.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Speaking of chivo...on our way from SD to the north coast, we usually stop at Tipico Bonao to eat. One trip we saw this little place called [I think] "Plaza del Chivo" so we stopped. Went in, sat down, waitress came over and looked at us expectantly. Mr. AE asked for a menu. She answered "Tenemos chivo" [We have chivo]. He asked what else do they have. She said "Chivo". That's all they had. No choice for sides, etc.

You would think that the chivo was going to taste wonderful, since it's all they do. Not.

Now that you are Moderating. Oh (Super Moderating). Does not give you the authority to go on your own rants.
Just because the Real DR1'ers have moved on; doesn't give you the right to close more than one subject. There are still many people that rely on this site.
For you, Alter Ego, to run it like some Veneszula or Cuba site won't last long.
I hope you love the power you feel. It will be short lived.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Now that you are Moderating. Oh (Super Moderating). Does not give you the authority to go on your own rants.
Just because the Real DR1'ers have moved on; doesn't give you the right to close more than one subject. There are still many people that rely on this site.
For you, Alter Ego, to run it like some Veneszula or Cuba site won't last long.
I hope you love the power you feel. It will be short lived.

What in the world does that have to do with this topic and the quote?!?

ANYWAYS

Chivo is good, juicy, tender meat but too many damn little bones! It's like fish but worse!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What in the world does that have to do with this topic and the quote?!?

ANYWAYS

Chivo is good, juicy, tender meat but too many damn little bones! It's like fish but worse!

Deyvi has left us to cool off, obviously having a bad day ....

Chivo shouldn't have a lot of small bones!! I do know what you mean though, I've had chivo when there were a lot of small pea sized bones.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Small, twig sized bones in the meat in every which direction. Was very annoying to pick out. The meat was delicious though.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Koreano I just can't understand your reactions to DR foods. I have described Korean food like this: they throw away all the good parts of the animal and then cook and eat what remains. However, I have also said that what is made from those remains tastes soooo good.

My Korean girlfriend made me raw beef liver. It was difficult for me to approach but I did andf it was OK. I always cite that as my most extreme experience.

I have found the DR dishes sometimes a bit heavy on bone and light on meat and many of the dishes posted don't have much flavor to me. I have had about 75% of the list.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It is; food here sucks and Yucca root has a high content of Cyanide

i found that in wiki. i do not think people here even realize that and i have never heard of anyone getting sick from eating yuca.