45 Things to Eat & Drink In DR

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Arenque I have never grown to like. I am not a big meat eater, mostly vegs and salad. Ensalada de rusa (?) is one of my favorites as well as fried eggplant. Yucca frita is another favorite.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
harley, my yes/no refer to whether i like the stuff, not whether i tried it.

jdjones, i wikid yuca long time ago! it's is acquired edumacation! yo! ;) lechon and mondongo are on the list, btw. and i love mollejas, chikin feet, piggy feet and cow feet. i love feet, like tarantino.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i thought it was just some types of yuca, not all yuca?

i was surprised to find that arenque is herring (not wiki, this time it was labels on some canned herring in la sirena). nothing like the herring i know from home, thou.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Arenque I have never grown to like. I am not a big meat eater, mostly vegs and salad. Ensalada de rusa (?) is one of my favorites as well as fried eggplant. Yucca frita is another favorite.

I love fried yuca and eggplant. I like to make arenque with scrambled eggs and eat it with boiled yuca and batata.

But arenque can stink up the entire house!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
i thought it was just some types of yuca, not all yuca?

i was surprised to find that arenque is herring (not wiki, this time it was labels on some canned herring in la sirena). nothing like the herring i know from home, thou.

"All cassava or yuca produce toxic cyanide."

" But the two main edible varieties produce it in different amounts. "Sweet" cassava is the root most often sold for home cooking and has its cyanide concentrated near the surface. After peeling and normal cooking, it is safe to eat. "Bitter" cassava has cyanide throughout the root and can only be eaten after extensive grating, washing, and pressing to remove the harmful toxins. Bitter cassava is not typically sold for home use, especially here in the US, and is more commonly used to make tapioca and other cassava by-products."

A Staple Starch: Cassava, Manioc & Yuca

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as a potato eater i kinda like the roots plants here: yuca, batata, name, yautia.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmm... how much of that yuka i would have to grate into someone's locrio and how often, in order to kill them dead? academic curiosity, of course.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hey, i am just asking! ;)

my guess is you'd need a lot or raw yuca would replace tres pasitos as a poison of choice here in DR.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Koreano, My guess, is you probably had a cheap cut of chivo. Ribs, and such, maybe. When I buy from my local, instead of going for the precut stuff, I'll purchase an entire leg or shoulder, and have them cut it up. This way, I know what I'm getting.
BTW, was it just me, or did I distinctly miss any form of greenery in the post?