55 Gallons Drum Shipping

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Has been awhile, but JasonD has a question for the audience; I'm in the process of shipping stuff to the DR and wondering if I could just ship anything (legal items of course) inside a 55 gallons tank?

Does it matter what I place inside?

Will I be paying any taxes?

Or will I be just paying the cost of the shipment to the company doing the shipping?

Reactions: dominicangringo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You have to disclose to the shipping company what’s inside. Used is a keyword, anything new has the potential to be taxed. You give shipper a broad listing, not itemized. For example, comida, ropa usada, etc.

You should also be given the option to send a large bag of rice and a jug of oil outside the drum for no additional cost.

Reactions: CristoRey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The mudanzas are so busy this time of year.....might not meet the deadline

Do it FAST if you're doing it

My wife wanted something here for Christmas last week - she called about time frames
The mudanza doubted it would be delivered in time

But remember.... few if any charges w/ a mudanza

Reactions: CristoRey

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
You have to disclose to the shipping company what’s inside. Used is a keyword, anything new has the potential to be taxed. You give shipper a broad listing, not itemized. For example, comida, ropa usada, etc.

You should also be given the option to send a large bag of rice and a jug of oil outside the drum for no additional cost.
Thanks.

In other words, anything used is valid to be shipped?

Is weight an issue or the price is standard regardless the weight?

Will it be free of taxes upon arrival/delivery?

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Also remember that now is the time to do it ITBIS free up to $3000. Don't wait if you don't have to.

I believe there are certain conditions to be met so no ITBIS ought to be collected. Time of entry to the country is one, 6 months is the rule.

I am disqualified due to it.

Hence the drum shipping option

• Wow
Reactions: NanSanPedro

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks.

Used is a magic word. Weight is not an issue, it’s charged by size of box or drum. I’ve never paid anything tax-wise and we’ve probably shipped 100 of them. One shipment was 21 drums. The only time we had to pay was when we shipped a TV. Same for other large appliances.
Door to door delivery. I’ve hear stories of shipments held for taxes but no one I’ve ever known has had a problem.

Reactions: dominicangringo
Aug 29, 2017
I’m also on the same boat as JasonD. Had a few extra questions:

(1) does anyone have any recommendations in the NYC areas for reputable shippers that will deliver the drum door to door?

(2) the only thing that I’m concerned about shipping are two computer monitors. They are both used and it is clear that they are but was curious for any advice to avoid paying high taxes and fees? Should I not tell anyone they are in there and hope for the best?

(3) the drum comes with a latch that allows for a little lock. Do y’all usually put locks on it? How do you all go about securing the lid to make sure no one opens it and stuff.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

(1) does anyone have any recommendations in the NYC areas for reputable shippers that will deliver the drum door to door?

(2) the only thing that I’m concerned about shipping are two computer monitors. They are both used and it is clear that they are but was curious for any advice to avoid paying high taxes and fees? Should I not tell anyone they are in there and hope for the best?

(3) the drum comes with a latch that allows for a little lock. Do y’all usually put locks on it? How do you all go about securing the lid to make sure no one opens it and stuff.

Used computer monitors won’t be a problem. As far as a lock, don’t bother. They have the right to open and inspect every drum or box. We often have a couple of things missing. Stupid stuff sometimes, like last year..... I came across a clearance sale on Lindt chocolates after Christmas, and I bought a bunch of bags. I didn’t keep track of how many, but they ate at least one bag and left the empty in the drum. 😂 Knowing that, we always have two drums being filled at the same time. I often split a pair of nice shoes/sneakers/baseball cleats into 2 different drums. With boxes, I put the nice stuff in the middle, because I noticed they often open the boxes from the bottom, thinking the good items are hidden there. I use every inch too. Every shoe has something inside it, etc.

I always say I’m going to keep an inventory of what’s inside each drum, but like many of my best laid plans I don’t.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
the last time I brought in 2 drums I had them packed tight to the top. When I opened the after dilivery they either had settled or there was missing stuff. After emptying I didnt notice anything missing but I did find a large can of coffee 2 bags of flour a bag of rice and 2 packages of spagetti...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
the last time I brought in 2 drums I had them packed tight to the top. When I opened the after dilivery they either had settled or there was missing stuff. After emptying I didnt notice anything missing but I did find a large can of coffee 2 bags of flour a bag of rice and 2 packages of spagetti...
We’ve had a lot of “settling” too. Sometimes we don’t know what’s missing, maybe nothing.

ese tipo

Apr 12, 2019
Looking for shipper in south Jersey.Was going to use Salcedo whom happen to have a pretty good track record but recently has required shipping party to provide either lic# or passport# big no no for me, wouldn't even do that for UPS,fed ex, or USPS would also advise anyone else do the same.I have a # for Jaremy (spelling?)In Philly which I'm sure would come over the bridge, but when I lived in philly had a nightmarish exp. with them.Anyone have recent shipper to recommend? kinda slim pickins here in sj.Philly area.thanx

Reactions: La Profe_1

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Looking for shipper in south Jersey.Was going to use Salcedo whom happen to have a pretty good track record but recently has required shipping party to provide either lic# or passport# big no no for me, wouldn't even do that for UPS,fed ex, or USPS would also advise anyone else do the same.I have a # for Jaremy (spelling?)In Philly which I'm sure would come over the bridge, but when I lived in philly had a nightmarish exp. with them.Anyone have recent shipper to recommend? kinda slim pickins here in sj.Philly area.thanx

Where are you in South Jersey? We’re in Atlantic County, and we’ve recently started using a company out of Vineland (our long time guy moved back to DR). I forget the company name, but call 856-362-3125 Dilsia for a quote, we just had a smooth delivery. They’ll pick up at your home. Tell her Olivo recommended her.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Thanks.

Used is the key... remove all price tags ect..valuble items like the gold jewerly was not put in the box... was sent separate in the carry on luggage of a family member on a plane from Miami.........

Castro156

Oct 9, 2011
NEW YORK
Thanks.

I have been shipping drums for YEARS and mix all kinds of stuff in them... KEY WORD IS USED....

I use SALCEDO CARGO EXPRESS, never any issues.

Castro156

Oct 9, 2011
NEW YORK
FYI.. Years ago I had " a friend" that used to sell clothing and would use lots drums to ship everything! Handbags, shoes, shirts, jeans, you name it!

Everything was NEW WITH TAGS,, but we would remove all tags and send them separately to avoid all those taxes and extra costs.
Drums would arrive then we would send the tags via another shipper and put them back on the new merch.....

Worked EVERY TIME!

VladFridlyand

Jun 26, 2019
Boca Chica, DR
flamingomoments.com