5G Networks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Reactions: snowqueen

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It would be nice when 5G comes to DR. I don't have a 5G phone but if it comes with Claro (who I suspect will be first) I will get it.
I suspect it is two years away, after every other market is rolled out.
This might be a good thing as they will have optimized other systems and the best model antennas and radio optimizations will have been ironed out before it sees us.
I am still hoping someday T-Mobile buys Altice and comes to DR. At one point they were looking at that, but I have not seen new rumors for a while.
The mobile phone industry has been quiet on mergers and acquisitions lately, since T-Mobile bought out Sprint - but now that Covid is disappearing from the daily headlines I suspect the business climate may pickup again.
5G takes a lot of money to rollout

Reactions: snowqueen

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Expensive? I suspect it is.
And you have to worry about the people with the tin foil hats as well in some places. I imagine there are far fewer of those in the DR.
Other sites already have people not coming to the DR because 5G will be here in the future. For me, that is a good thing. There is enough crazy here already.

I suspected there was no 5G in the DR and it will be here in a couple of years, give or take.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
It would be nice when 5G comes to DR. I don't have a 5G phone but if it comes with Claro (who I suspect will be first) I will get it.
This might be a good thing as they will have optimized other systems and the best model antennas and radio optimizations will have been ironed out before it sees us.
I am still hoping someday T-Mobile buys Altice and comes to DR. At one point they were looking at that, but I have not seen new rumors for a while.
The mobile phone industry has been quiet on mergers and acquisitions lately, since T-Mobile bought out Sprint - but now that Covid is disappearing from the daily headlines I suspect the business climate may pickup again.
That's what I was thinking. I'm looking to get a new phone, but want to ensure it can work there. I'll keep looking for one without 5g

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
And you have to worry about the people with the tin foil hats as well in some places. I imagine there are far fewer of those in the DR.
Other sites already have people not coming to the DR because 5G will be here in the future. For me, that is a good thing. There is enough crazy here already.

I suspected there was no 5G in the DR and it will be here in a couple of years, give or take.
It is in Santiago and Santo Domingo, but shows sparse in other areas.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth

There's barely any true 5G in the US and North America, testing areas excepted, so I would not expect any in the DR for the foreseeable future although I confess I am not an expert.

Re: tinfoil hats I believe that the incidence of expats in the DR, or at least participating on this site to be much higher than average in NA or the EU for example LOL

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
There's barely any true 5G in the US and North America, testing areas excepted, so I would not expect any in the DR for the foreseeable future although I confess I am not an expert.

Re: tinfoil hats I believe that the incidence of expats in the DR, or at least participating on this site to be much higher than average in NA or the EU for example LOL
Why do you say there is barely any 5G in the US ? Last I was there - it is in every market.
5G does require more cell sites by its nature - but most existing 4G sites have been upgraded to 5G also.
Now the infill of new build sites to provide more ubiquitous coverage for 5G is underway.
But if you have a good 5G phone you will find it in every decent sized city and major highways.
Make sure you buy a phone with the 5G frequencies your cell provider broadcasts. ( a 5G iPhone is your best bet).
But if you do not have a phone that receives all 5G bands your carrier is broadcasting on you will be disappointed.

In rural areas it will be harder to receive 5G but your phone will still revert to 3G & 4G when it can't get the newer service

I love Azua

Dec 3, 2011
The small purple dot on the Altice coverage map is their corporate offices across the street from the Downtown Center in Bella Vista. It is a demonstration site for them. Other then that no service no where no how.

Reactions: windeguy

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
I really can't imagine that the backend infrastructure in the DR is designed for 5G. Be glad you have internet at all :)

5G for what the hell..... uploading and streaming of..... anything?
And everyone borrows plenty of money for a new 5G ready phone..... Domincan style.... I love it :ROFLMAO:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I really can't imagine that the backend infrastructure in the DR is designed for 5G. Be glad you have internet at all :)

5G for what the hell..... uploading and streaming of..... anything?
And everyone borrows plenty of money for a new 5G ready phone..... Domincan style.... I love it :ROFLMAO:
Did you say the same about 3G's need 20 years ago
It's coming sooner or later like it or not

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
Why do you say there is barely any 5G in the US ? Last I was there - it is in every market.
5G does require more cell sites by its nature - but most existing 4G sites have been upgraded to 5G also.
Now the infill of new build sites to provide more ubiquitous coverage for 5G is underway.
But if you have a good 5G phone you will find it in every decent sized city and major highways.
Make sure you buy a phone with the 5G frequencies your cell provider broadcasts. ( a 5G iPhone is your best bet).
But if you do not have a phone that receives all 5G bands your carrier is broadcasting on you will be disappointed.

In rural areas it will be harder to receive 5G but your phone will still revert to 3G & 4G when it can't get the newer service
Because it's true LOL

Decide for yourself and FFS do your own "research" but here's a reasonable start

"However, the carrier also offers millimeter-wave coverage (39GHz and 28GHz), although it’s only available in parts of the six large cities listed below. We tested it out and New York City — check out the download speeds achieved here."

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Did you say the same about 3G's need 20 years ago
It's coming sooner or later like it or not
Does anyone know the physical connection to the DR for the internet? It is a cable at the bottom of the ocean from the DR to the mainland ?
If it is, I hope they have enough bandwidth in that cable for the ever increasing speeds that will be needed.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Does anyone know the physical connection to the DR for the internet? It is a cable at the bottom of the ocean from the DR to the mainland ?
If it is, I hope they have enough bandwidth in that cable for the ever increasing speeds that will be needed.
There is at least 3 fiber rings connecting different caribbean island and central America and USA. More Than likely their is still a lot of dark fibers available. Also fiber optic technology is also advancing (pass more bandwidth in different colours in the same fiber).

The carriers would not invest in 5G if the backbone was full. You can google and see the submarine fiber optic cables maps worldwide.

Reactions: chico bill

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
I forgot the exact number, but about 50% of Dominicans still don't have any toilet in their house, so they have to use a bucket or nearby bushes. Some Haitians who live in DR have a habit to do Poo-Poo in a plastic bag and then throw it on the roof of a nearby house.

And you are talking about availability of 5G here :) LOL

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is at least 3 fiber rings connecting different caribbean island and central America and USA. More Than likely their is still a lot of dark fibers available. Also fiber optic technology is also advancing (pass more bandwidth in different colours in the same fiber).

The carriers would not invest in 5G if the backbone was full. You can google and see the submarine fiber optic cables maps worldwide.
I disagree that the carriers would not invest. They would simply charge more for less than was intended. That is how it works in the DR. Flash without substance sells here.

Take Cable Del Norte or Delancer and what they charge for mediocre bandwidth fiber optic service compared to the USA or Canada services at a similar price point.

Reactions: chico bill

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I forgot the exact number, but about 50% of Dominicans still don't have any toilet in their house, so they have to use a bucket or nearby bushes. Some Haitians who live in DR have a habit to do Poo-Poo in a plastic bag and then throw it on the roof of a nearby house.

And you are talking about availability of 5G here :) LOL
But they still have a phone.