781 people removed, savings of more than RD$200 million a month at Ministry of Foreign Relations

Chirimoya

Moderator - East Coast & Headline News
Dec 9, 2002
Its my understanding after reading this article and several others
published this week, most of these people were living/ working outside of
the Dominican Republic. Therefor one can only assume most of
this money was being spent elsewhere?
Not necessarily. A common feature of these diplomatic botellas is that they are appointed to an embassy, they draw the salary but spend most of their time in the DR.

Reactions: CristoRey

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I am just thinking of car dealerships for example. So many lovely shiny jeepetas in Santo Domingo, Porsche garages doing a nice trade. Take away the fat cats, those businesses will go. The woman who answers the phone in that Porsche garage and earns 15,000 a month, the man who polishes the Porsches all lose their jobs. I'm not for one second saying you shouldn't get rid of this corruption, absolutely agree with what he's doing. Just question whether doing it right now in the middle of a pandemic is the best timing. The private sector in DR is absolutely on its knees the only people who can count on their salaries are government employees. Now isn't a great time to be firing loads of them. That's my point.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Its my understanding after reading this article and several others
the Dominican Republic. Therefor one can only assume most of
Oh if they are living abroad, then absolutely 100% delete them, and ideally take legal action through the courts abroad (where you stand a chance of a fair hearing).

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am just thinking of car dealerships for example. So many lovely shiny jeepetas in Santo Domingo, Porsche garages doing a nice trade. Take away the fat cats, those businesses will go. The woman who answers the phone in that Porsche garage and earns 15,000 a month, the man who polishes the Porsches all lose their jobs. I'm not for one second saying you shouldn't get rid of this corruption, absolutely agree with what he's doing. Just question whether doing it right now in the middle of a pandemic is the best timing. The private sector in DR is absolutely on its knees the only people who can count on their salaries are government employees. Now isn't a great time to be firing loads of them. That's my point.
But if timing is the issue, remember there is never "the right time" for pain. Who celebrates going to a dentist? To put off resolving distasteful issues is part of the human nature.

Reactions: bob saunders

JDJones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
It's my understanding after reading this article and several others
the Dominican Republic. Therefore one can only assume most of
It's a mix between some who live in the states and ones who live in the country. Most being political activists in U.S. cities who were being rewarded for supporting the previous administration.

Reactions: CristoRey

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
But if timing is the issue, remember there is never "the right time" for pain. Who celebrates going to a dentist? To put off resolving distasteful issues is part of the human nature.

Editited to add: Can anyone add up the number of times it is said "That's just the way it is in the DR. The DR is a corrupt country. It works because of coruuption"?
Why not change that? Yeah, I know many will say "bla bla bla you don't know what you're yer talking about". OK, how about cutting corruption out 33% over the next 3 years? Where does the new government begin? Enlighten me.