95% of 11,000 aspirants to teach in public schools failed assessment test

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Concurso-docentes-Diario-Libre.jpg

Only 528 of almost 11,000 education graduates and public school teachers who took the written assessments for teacher positions in public schools for the 2021-2022 school year have passed the tests. This is 4.8% of the total that took the cognitive tests and the specific knowledge tests to pass the written test phase of the assessment. The second phase is a personal interview.

Another 60,000 teachers and aspirants to principal for pre-school, elementary, high school have pending taking the tests.

The Ministry of Education needs to fill 19,181 positions in time for the start of in-person learning set to start 20 September 2021.

The assessment was suspended on Thursday because of technological problems, lack of organization and the massive failing of the first who took the tests.

There were also complaints that the tests were shared on social media.

The Committee of...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Where can I find this test on line. I want to learn more about what the applicants know and don't know.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I really wonder why you choose to work in education...
I have a few neighbors who are teachers. All of them are wonderful folks.

I think those folks are born to be teachers because they sure don't do it for the money.

Reactions: bob saunders

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
"The Committee of Observers of the National Public School Teacher Contest favors continuing with the assessments. It also favors a lowering the minimum scores needed to pass the tests." LOL you could not make it up, 95% fail the competency test to be a teacher so they consider dropping the pass mark, only in the RD. And we wonder why the educational attainment in Republica Domininica is so poor.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Or hey, how about this?

Invest in children attending public schools, ensure that they are competent enough to go to university if they choose.

Invest in teacher education programs that focus on rigorous university level classes, hire quality education professors, and standardize extensive student teaching internships to ensure the best candidates move forward.

Why even bother with a test?

Let them eat cake.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
A long time family friend took this test. He said it was mostly very extensive reading comprehension across Science, Math, Sociales, and Lengua Español.
Questions were multiple choice and difficult to select the correct answer, to the point where it was somewhat ridiculous. He and one other person passed in his group of 20.

Think about it this way: If the powers that be wanted to improve the state of their country (clean up the trash, increase literacy rates, reduce domestic violence etc.), education is the way to do that.

They are not interested or it would have happened already. They are quite content with their position and with everyone else exactly where they are as well.
I am not sure it is a deliberate policy but they think to much about benefits for them. I mean the politicians. It’s as if everything is a business opportunity. Even children’s education. It may progress a bit but it is as if it only does if they make money in the process. I am sorry but it’s just how it looks like.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Absolutely it is a money making scheme.

But it is also very deliberate.

There is no other excuse for the state of public education in the Dominican Republic.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

There is no other excuse for the state of public education in the Dominican Republic.

I tend to agree with you. I wonder why Luis supports the status quo. My semi-educated guess is that there is enough on his plate right now with corruption, the Wuhan Flu, and the economy. But if they don't do something, they never will improve. In fact, they will regress further, if that's even possible.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008

With it being deliberate I am not so sure but they don’t seem do anything if they don’t see something in it for them. At least it looks that way.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Or hey, how about this?

Invest in children attending public schools, ensure that they are competent enough to go to university if they choose.

Invest in teacher education programs that focus on rigorous university level classes, hire quality education professors, and standardize extensive student teaching internships to ensure the best candidates move forward.

Why even bother with a test?

Let them eat cake.
PARENTS have to buy in for your first statement to work for most children. The average Dominican parent is just happy if their kids can read and count. Second statement - much needed. Testing is a measurement of two things , what was learned and how well it was taught. If you want to reach a standard you need to teach to that standard, then you need to test that the standard was achieved. Certainly there are multiple methods of verifying that standard has been achieved.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Parents cannot buy in if they are the products of that same system. They play a significant role, but unfortunately they cannot be expected to implement this. It has to come from outside the home to be brought in.

Tests are only one aspect of measuring learning. Projects, practice, and high standards of quality provide more valuable forms of assessment. Thi

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
What I meant to add is, the “multiple methods” you mentioned are where the money, the meat and potatoes are at.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What I meant to add is, the “multiple methods” you mentioned are where the money, the meat and potatoes are at.
Well I am not a fan of 4 hour exams like the oral one I had when I did my aircraft technician trade boards, but I think daily quizzes in class are useful in determining if students are learning the subject. If I was president for a day I would institute a teacher education program run by a successful education system like Spain. I realize there are better programs in some other countries but Spain is the best Spanish speaking system. I wouldn't allow much input from the locals either.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
There has to be I think. Otherwise nothing happens.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I really wonder why you choose to work in education...
Yeah, but are "teachers" that fail a test of what they know truly in the "educating field?" What are they going to educate about? That 2 + 3 = (wait, let me get the calculator, too hard without it) 36?

Oh, that your kid wrote 5 as the answer and he got a F for that? Well, teacher knows best! ;)

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
“It would be extremely naive to expect the dominant classes to develop a type of education that would enable subordinate classes to perceive social injustices critically”

~Paolo Freire

😳

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
“It would be extremely naive to expect the dominant classes to develop a type of education that would enable subordinate classes to perceive social injustices critically”

~Paolo Freire

😳
I don’t know if there really is an intent like that. I just think they are so focused on enriching themselves that they don’t give it much priority.

Reactions: Aguaita29

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Just thinking out loud - I wonder how many would have passed if they graded on a curve?

Wouldn't the possibility exist there may be quite a few of the teachers who were just below the passing grade? (I admit I know absolutely zilch about education as many of you know)

Reactions: LindseyKaufman