A day in the life

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
My jail story actually goes on for much longer - it was a very long weekend. (The $1,000 pesos came to play an interesting part of the story....)

But I have a quick one:

My little son and I are at the beach when he develops a nose-bleed. We sit on our towels and I hold his head forward and pinch the bridge of his nose firmly, as per my mother's instructions. Putting the head back is now outdated, as the blood runs down the throat if the head is tilted backwards, which can be quite nasty.

I'm up to speed on all this, but no sooner have we sat down to tend to the calamity, a woman from about 15 metres away yells over from her towel, "Muchaaaaaachaaaaaa, ponle la cabeza pa' tras!"

I ignore. She says it again, this time gesticulating as though I were an idiot, with the help of her friends, who are all flinging their heads back and pinching their noses.

I'm beginning to feel like a real jerk, as the crowd gathers to watch me insistently keep his head forward and everyone is rolling their eyes at this ridiculous gringa. Finally, I yell back, "Est? bien, no se preocupen - soy enfermera!"

Everyone eyes me warily, as if they know it's not true - I could be a nurse - how are they to know? But no one seems convinced. As we shuffled away from the group, my son provides the clincher, and says, "Mummy, why did you tell a lie?"

Incompetent mother, silly gringa and liar, to boot.

Last edited:

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
George Part II

I am getting used to life in the big city after Hurricane George did his damage. It is now November and electricity and running water is limited to an average of two hours a day. No Problema! I am staying in this country anyway. I learned to use that time wisely by quickly washing my clothes by hand, showering and cleaning. I can not keep anything refrigerated so I buy my food at the calmado next door daily. Thank God I use gas to cook with. My first full sentence in Spanish was "Se fue la luz". As soon as the lights went out daily I got a taxi and went to Plaza Central to hang around businesses that had electricity and meet my friends who worked in the area. One day I was in the middle of washing my clothes in the sink when all of a sudden se fue la luz...entonce....se fue la aqua. Frig it! Out I go at about 10 in the morning to meet some friends. We kinda got to drinking and partying and I returned about 7PM to my apartment. As soon as I entered the iron gate in front of the fortress I heard water running but it was not raining. As I walked down the driveway I could see a waterfall coming from the balcony of my apartment. Cono! The faucets were somehow hooked up backwards and I had never noticed . Instead of turning off the water that was running for the laundry I had turned it on full blast. Honest to God there was as much water on the floors of my apartment as there was after the hurricane. Thank God again that nobody was at home in my landlords house(which was right in front of mine). I ran over there like a bat out of hell and grabbed the floor squeegie that he had used to get rid of the hurricane waters. I almost had a freekin' heart attack rushing to clean that mess up so that he would not find out. Of course se fue la luz again while I am doing all this work and I am now sweating my ass off to boot with no water to take a shower with. You might know the electricity must have stayed on the longest ever that day. The landlord never did find out about it . Ahhh just another day in paradise and I still loved the island and wanted to stay. I am so glad I kept a journal and can read about these unbeliveable stories that after time seem funny. I can't believe I did not get electrocuted that day either.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
No Violins!

Again, early in my DR indoctrination

I'm biking along the Botanico (Conquistadores Rep. De Colombia) on my way to the gym, headphones on, just cruising along.

I make my way over the median and into the oncoming lane, however, this is not a high traffic area and I'm just looking to get up on the far sidewalk anyway.

The oncoming avenue is two laned and there is just one car parked off to the side. I head along and see a publico making it's way onto the avenue so I get in the far left lane, I'm now just beyond the parked car figuring I've given the publico a full lane, and 3/4 of my occupied lane too. Not an issue.

From 60 yards I see a unnerving glow in his eye and he begins to gently swerve into my lane - perhaps he wants to park behind the other stationary vehicle.

Nope, he's got something else planned. He gets closer and closer and I now realize I have to make a quick manuever and jump the large broken-up-cement gutter to avoid him having his "I hit a gringo today" story at the colmado with his boys.

As I plan my escape I notice I don't have any safe haven on the sidewalk as the man hole cover is missing and that can do a number on me and my bike. I decide to employ my mirror-disappearing act on the reckloose.

I ride as close to the gutter as possible, hoping he'll be satisfied with just throwing a scare in me, but he doesn't give up, so I take my right knee in to avoid the bumper and hold real tight on my right handlebar grip (there is something called a "climbing bar" or "knuckle saver" that covers my hands on the handlebar).

My plan, if properly executed will give him a short lived thrill, and one less mirror on his car. At that moment, he does as expected and stays his course, the mirror catches my handlebar protector and smashes to bits.

Gringo 1 - Publicoknucklehead 0.

The fans are going nuts, all one of them.

I can't help but feel thrilled that his pitiful prank blew up in his face and into the back seat of his car.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me, I ride aggresively and I've tamed (or perhaps infuritated) more than one taxi driver in Boston. I just won't stand for people using their cars as weapons on bikers. Stupidity will be met with a vengence or at the very least a few choice words.

Understand, I'm not looking for the confrontation by any means; a ton of steel is no match for 225 lbs. of aluminum and gringo. But I have a strain of aggression that comes with being violated (see the April thread on getting robbed in the Mirador) and disrespected. We all have our "stuff" to deal with.

So, I've now turned the corner and I'm on my way up Av. Rep. de Colombia feeling pretty good at my deft biking ability.

Did you ever get that feeling you're being watched?

As I'm cruising along at a pretty good clip - my blood is pumping now, can't wait to get to the gym!!! I sense my sin-espejo competitor is on the war path. I don't look over, but I know it's him and as he advances up the avenue and cuts off traffic to turn through the median and into a bus turn-off, I see my previous manuever was not taken to very kindly.

I feel very much in the right for what I did, he was pulling his prank and I bitch-slapped his stupidity right into his back seat. But now I'm going to have to deal with something unexpected, a confrontation far away from the mean streets of Boston where I know my way, and the language.

He's out of his car and in the sidewalk. I decide to play silly gringo and I have the broadest smile on my face when he flags me down. I stop, not looking to avoid what must be of some importance to him now - apparently common sense and my safety wasn't on his docket before, and I highly doubt it's on the agenda presently, but I relent.

I don't remember what he said, nor could I understand it then anyway, but he was adamant about me fixing his mirror and he figured my bike would cover his costs. I try and relate to him that he was in the wrong and I have no sympathy for him and the shards of glass over his back seat. I give him the Dominican hand wash move (that extremely versatile hand wiping motion that is so commonplace) and try and go on my way. No go, he grabs my handlebar and I go down. He wants my bike in his backseat - fat chance.

Now I'm really pissed and I get up and point at him and say in English "get the f' out of my face" hoping he'd heard that in some movie or something I guess. I get back on my bike and begin to take off, he grabs my back wheel and I nearly fall off again. I now jump off my bike, flare up, and go right at him like I'm going to fold him up like a 10 peso bill and throw him in the gutter. He runs away for 10 yds. and turns around. As I get back on to leave I see he's coming again but now he has a football sized piece of coral in his hand and threatens to throw it at me. I say "no violencia" but the way I say it sounds like "no violins-see-ah" as if he's in an Atlanta-based cover band and is going to stop playing "The Devil Went Down to Georgia". This isn't working, not a high moment in my spanglish exploits.

I grab his hand and make him drop the rock.

So now we're perhaps 2 minutes into this confrontation and of course we've drawn a crowd (2 cars have pulled over and maybe 5 local neighbors are around me) - as is customary when something - ANYTHING - is happening.

Presidente is setting up a booth and Orange is already selling calling cards. The cell phone chargers and steering wheel covers are going like free gas.

So now I get to explain my story in spanglish to 6 others and one older man who speaks english comes to my defense - my odds have just improved. He goes about reenacting the altercation with my bike and the mirror and from what I told him and what the driver told him. He's running my bike back and forth along the car to measure where my handlebar would go, the damage on my climbing bar and the damage to the mirror. Something is beginning to make sense (finally), heads begin to nod, so..........I'm either going to be walking home or he's getting sent on his way.

I've been absolved. The driver is infuriated at this, he's now in a verbal battle of epic proportions with the older man and it's getting heated.

My hero stops, turns and tells me to be on my way. I'm thanking him profusely, but I'm thinking why not stay to watch, it's getting really good now. There are heads nodding and I've now won them over, the taxi maniac is getting it from all sides now.

Then I hear "blah blah blah PISTOLA, blah blah blah" and the older man heads back to his house in hurried manner and everyone jumps in their cars and heads out.

It's just me and the maniac who cares nothing about me now.

"Cleef, you're not in Boston anymore"

So I've noticed.

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Cleef

That was Great!!

But what happened????

You left us anticlimactic!!

Did he use his Pistola on you and kill you or what!

Please!!! Don't leave us in suspense like this.

Texas Bill

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
My dear, was I not clear?

My savior was the one claiming the pistol whipping was about to begin on the driver, that's when we all made our getaway.

No Violinseeya!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Dont tell me thats the end of the stories. I really enjoyed all of those. Please tell us some more. Pleeeaassee!

Larry

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
motor concho

Ok I have been on vaction only so I cant say day in life but on one trip when I was drunk off my ass at Lou's old place in Sosua I saw what I thought was the result of some bad El presidente. A motor concho had a washing machine straped to the back of it. Now I am a true redneck but I wil tell you the Dominicano's got my respect for resourcefulness.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Washing Machine on Motorcycle ?

That doesn't even get noticed.

Hogs are carried almost routinely - all trussed up with a rope in the shape of a giant spider's web.

I once saw 2 men on a motorcycle carrying a full sized mattress held vertically acrosss the handlebars, and perpendicularly to the forward direction, such as to have the maximum profile and to block forward vision. It was going down the shoulder, on the wrong side, of a major highway.

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
This is great

For me, there is nothing better than taking in the sights of motorcycle riders/daredevils/wingnuts.

These people really live on the edge. I think to myself "X-Games" are you kidding? Yeah yeah yeah, flying through the air with nothing but a snowboard or skateboard is clearly risky, but how about trying to balance 14 tires on a motoconcho? Through traffic at mid-day on Ave. Abe Lincoln. What would Abe think of this? He was all for freedom and sh*&%, but this is a bit over the top!

I once saw a couple dudes carrying what must have been that many with a broom stick on a motorcycle. The driver had two on the handlebars, two between his legs, the passenger (of death) had two in each hand, and then a long pole across his lap that had three on each side.

That's the type of stuff you describe to your friends at home and then the conversation switches.

Then I say "did you hear me? 14 tires on a moped, don't you realize the deal here?" They think I'm weird anyway, but I digress, we'll get to that at Thanksgiving in Sosua!

Hence the purpose of this thread, to explain the unexplicable.

There isn't a day recorded yet, where I haven't seen something that made me say ....."just when you've think you've seen it all.."

So it goes.

Is it braveness or disregard? Is it stupidity or courage?

Like anything else, follow the money and you're explanation becomes clear. Whatever pays the bills or feeds your family is legal, or ethical, or at the very least "tryable". Whatever.

Just recently - as if time has any factor in these revelations/observances - I saw two people on a motoconcho in a torrential downpour - on Duarte near Bonao - with bags over their heads. I swear to god. I stood up and made sure my first view was correct, it was. Two people with what looked like dry cleaning bags over their heads to block out the rain.

Ok, I realize it's raining hard, but in the best circumstances what do you expect your vision to be through a dry cleaning bag? Now, add 45 mph, and a typical DR cloudburst, on a major highway?

Does the Weather Channel offer data on "visibility" and then "visibility with dry cleaning bag over your head" and these people figured their chances were good?

No one else on the bus seemed to take as much notice.

Maybe I see things other don't, either way, freedom breeds freedom and this country's soul is just that, in a nutshell - or perhaps a coconut shell.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Thanks Chiri

...even the observer can be overtaken by grand viejo and a fat finger of the mouse.

"Godamn Submit/Preview Reply Button"!!!!!

I feel less worthy that I correct papers all weekend and then post drivel with grammatical and spelling errors contained.

Whoa is me!

I'm going for a ride on my motorcycle. I have to deliver this refrigerator before Monday!!

Did I fail to mention the Pats won again today? Go Pats and Brugal!!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I had this one up my sleeve...

A recurring theme of these snapshots of life in the DR is the clash between our first-world mollycoddled selves (as Arve put it ? we are used to being told what to do and how to do it from cradle to grave) and the more ? ahem ? carefree approach to some of life?s more serious matters here.

When I moved here 5 years ago I had to undergo minor surgery. The pre-surgical regime included a chest X-ray, ECG and blood tests. I submitted to all of these bravely. When I went to get my test results I opened the envelope and saw the list of things I had been tested for. HIV! My Gawd! Every soap opera, movie and documentary I have ever seen that deals with this issue always shows the person about to be tested for HIV undergoing painstaking preparatory counselling: ?are you sure you understand the implications of finding out your HIV status? etc. If one does decide to take the test, the result is also delivered with ritual trepidation, whether or not it is positive. My experience was numbingly mundane by comparison: I found out that all was well by opening an envelope while walking up a flight of stairs.

About a week after the operation, which went well, it was time to have my stitches out. I was sitting in the doctor?s windowless office, and the lights went out. Usually the back-up generator would be turned on within the minute, but this time nothing happened. The doctor phoned through to the main administration, and was told that as the boss had not come in yet, the generator would not be turned on. She nodded grimly, and made another call, this time to her receptionist. She came in, and the doctor handed her ? I?m not making this up ? a pocket torch, the kind that looks like a pen. With the receptionist pointing the torch at my incision, the doctor proceeded to remove the stitches. Now, if this was in some rural campo clinic it would not be surprising. But this was at one of Santo Domingo?s main private clinics. I won?t even go into the state of the toilets. All I will say is that if they had shown the same zeal and efficiency in cleaning toilets as they did when it came to taking payments from their patients, you would have been able to lick the toilet bowls.

Chiri

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
sureal moments in the DR

Motorcycle with man carrying a 5 foot long large fish.

While not really all that extreme, it just looks really weird

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
It's not easy being a goat!

When I first saw a freshly killed (I'm assuming it was "fresh") goat hanging off the side of a roadside stand, I wondered if the other grazing goats - grazing on dirt - thought of their fallen buddy. Then I figured, goats don't think much, going by what they eat, and where they roam.

Then I thought what are the people thinking when they buy this goat, or it's parts, from a roadside stand that has traffic blowing road dust all over it, that's been sitting in the sun for hours?

Then I thought of the people on the moto with bags over their heads, then I thought I'd better get back to minding my own business.

Sin piensolo gracias!

Jimmyrisas

Nov 23, 2003
Hello Everyone

This is my first posting on this website.
I appreciate all of your stories, I have not have this much fun in a long time. These stories reassures the saying ?Solo en Dominicana suceden cosas asi.? And that?s why once you lived there, you fall in love with it. Sort of?
Being born and raised there gave the pleasure of experiencing those ?Kodak Moments? that stay in your head even if Alzheimer disease gets you.
I hope to move back there in the near future, I am confident that I will enjoy it all over again?
Que tengan un buen dia.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
How I Came About Here

Spring 2000, my first visit:
So this is the trip I?ve been wanting/wishing for, it?s finally come to me.

The history is this; I?ve always had a dream of working for the Boston Red Sox. My failing knees and lack of attention have precluded my chances at making it as a catcher. I didn?t give it a good enough effort, but that?s another chapter.

I?ve lived and died (see game 7 vs. the Yankees last month) for the Sox since my mom got me interested in the game as a little boy, bless her soul. I?ve had this thing in my head that I?ll never wear a Sox cap until they employ me. Stupid? Queer? Yes. But I have weird ways, call me crazy. However, this dream has never died.

So, I have this vision after Wilfredo Cordero (then of the Red Sox) screws himself and the Red Sox organization with an ill-advised interview with ESPN at the All-Star break in 1990something. He is questioned in a way that any second language user would typically fall for. I?m pissed, for many reasons. Never mind the details, trust me.

A few days later, I?m standing on Yawkey Way before game time. I?m not going to the game, just heading home and taking in the sights and sounds of Fenway - in my suit that Fidelity Investments makes me wear. It is then that I come to the conclusion that I can help. I?m going to work with Latin?s in learning English so they can ? at the very least ? keep themselves from sounding ignorant (in the view of those that can?t understand the difficulties in expressing themselves in another language) and I?ll do it wearing sandals and shorts in the Caribbean ? the DR, the hotbed of baseball, and the people most likely to need help - I?m going after my dream.

Push forward a few months and I?ve quit Fido with a raised and stiffened middle finger. I take an ESL course and I?m relentlessly encouraged by the staff to do as I?ve dreamed.

I buy my ticket, never having set foot on this island, and I?m determined to make it work. I?ll probably be the first one to have said this ? THANK YOU DEAR LORD FOR HURRICANE GEORGES. The storm hits the island a week or more before I?m leaving. I say to myself ? and anyone else that cares ? that the powers that be didn?t have to trash the island to make me second guess myself.

I relent, and spend a few more years in Boston, learning much, but yearning more to follow my dream. I get to use my previous ticket a year later and take in a promo game between my beloved Sox and the Houston Astros. A great time, a tremendous learning experience with many notes added to my teeming journal. I learn a few things on this trip, most importantly that I could never cut it here. No way, no how. I was completely out of my mind, just like everyone told me so.

In addition, in no certain order:

1 ? I would have gotten my ass handed to me in many ways. I would have left here in a month?s time ? at most - of trying to realize my dream without a lot of help.

2 ? This isn?t a plug-and-play place. You don?t just settle down here. You need some help. (Thank you DR1.com. Especially Dolores and your family! And of course thank you Mark. Friends are better than gold, they are my foundation in life.)

3 ? Dreams without a good plan are better left to your pillow.

4 ? Don?t eat the pork chops at the Hotel Napolitano.

So I leave, partially with my tail between my legs, but with the gift of reality. Reality is that you can write your dreams on paper, and they sound good, but that and 10 pesos will get you a small caf? con leche.

But back to my initial trip.

I leave Boston solo, my buddy backs out on me last second (I later realize I?m better off for it, he wouldn?t have left the airport).

On my way from Boston we touch down in San Juan. The plane is almost empty beyond there sans myself and the radio team from my local sports station WEEI in Boston, they are coming to cover the game between the Sox and Astros. They won?t give me the time of day with my hopes and aspirations of my trip. I go back to my seat and notice a gent (Daniel) in the row ahead of me slamming a pint of JW Red. He?s acting as if he?s the pilot flying us over the mountains of San Juan, apparently he hit that bottle before we took off. I drop my lack of knowledge on him and he ? as any typical Dominican would ? offers help in locating a place to stay and whatnot. I had absolutely no plan on those subtleties. Man is I dumb.

Anyway, he recommended the Hotel Napolitano ? based on locale and my budget ? but didn?t warn me about the near lethal pork chops.

I'm somehow able to fill out the forms and get through the customs nonsense and I?m now outside in the scorching heat. I honestly don?t know if S.D. is to the right or left. I swear, I hadn?t a clue. So here I am, a newborn, no way of communicating, no way of my way, no nothing except a decent smile and what I feel is a decent way or nature. I?m just here to help I guess. Not sure if anyone really gives a shit at the airport, but I digress.

In comes my hero Daniel, asking me if I need a lift. His buddy Vito ? or Bito ? or Beeto ? was there to take him to his place. Well, considering I haven?t the slightest idea of what the hell I?ve gotten myself into, I guess a lift to somewhere is a good start. Enter the quote ?If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable.? ? Seneca

Seneca probably knew what he was talking about, but I highly doubt he was in a predicament as such, and with the only word I really knew the meaning of in Spanish ? ?Si? - I jump in with him and Vito/Bito/Beeto and we're on our way, and what a 'way' it was.

I'd never seen anything like this. Ramshackle huts, devastation from Georges was still clearly evident, or maybe it wasn't, how the hell did I know?.

What month do they pick up the trash around here?

Is that house being built or torn down? Who the hell am I talking to? I haven't a clue, and no one that can understand my questions anyway. However, I do understand 'cervesa' and "si" I'll gladly have one - or more. We stop at the first pile of squared cement. It has a dutiful freezer that keeps beers in a liquid state, regardless of the ice formed all over the outside. Wow! This place is great! I've been here 20 minutes! I also learned quickly that they can freeze once opened, so I get some laughs and fresh one and this nectar is of the gods.

Daniel worked on Newbury St. in Boston as a caretaker for one of the many restaurants there. I worked just down the street from him at the time, so in Dominicanish, I guess that makes as good as ?primos?. I rolling the dice on this one.

I now have a Presidente in my lap, as well as a VERY friendly young lady. Now we?re touring a gated neighborhood that has garage doors listing ?Cable, Hot Tub and Waterbed?. Weird, I think. Whatever, when in Rome??

Forgive me, but I need to fast forward here, I?m now in the heart of the city and 15 minutes late for my bus to Las Terrenas, a place I thought would be great to get that Caribbean feel in me before the games in S.D. a few days later. It?s funny now that the only ones that keep a schedule here was my friggin? bus to the beach. Anyway?..

Vito/Bito/Beeto offers to take me to Las Terrenas for US$100. I have it, and very few options in between. He has a weathered fare chart proving the price. It feels right, he doesn?t drink and has a bible on his dashboard and is an amazingly good-natured fellow. It JUST feels right, plus, he just showed me the cabanas. What a guy! He calls the wifey and we?re on our way.

The trip north is 4 hours or so, but it was so much more. It was a lifetime. He bought me beer at every stop, he told me in Spanish what everything meant ? which meant nothing to me of course, but his way was with pride and conviction, things that overcome language barriers, and I was falling in love. Not with him of course, but the country - it's good beer, but not that good! I was seeing things that I?d always imagined, I was living life on the edge, no one knew I was here ? wherever that might be ? and I was loving it.

There was a crescent moon that night and I instantly noticed that it looked different from the latitude from which I was born. It was more top to bottom; the shape was more of a smiley face, not tilted as much to the right. This gave me good vibes, this was right. That slit in the veil of darkness gave me confidence the more it moved across the sky, and me more north to my destination. I felt ever more sure that whatshisname was deftly driving me towards my vision of a beach bungalow with flowing palms and aqua-blue seas. Even with the bright waxing moon, the stars were brighter than I?d ever seen on even the darkest, moonless nights in New England.

The deft high speed maneuvers of Vito/Bito/Beeto, avoiding roaming cattle in the roads and families of 8 on a motorcycle were giving me feelings of adventure that I?d never before experienced. I felt at peace (regardless of the whiteknuckles), although most of my blood was busy consuming Presidente by the truckload, so far away from home. I knew great things were about here, and I was absorbing as much as my exhausted mind would allow. I was writing stories in my head that none of my friends back in frigid Mass. would ? or could ? comprehend. I was doing something that I hadn?t planned, and it was as beautiful as could ever be wished for. I was living. I wasn?t any longer that lost soul that couldn?t get a grasp on what other treasures were out there. I was THERE, wondering if the next turn brought more life, death, or another Presidente purchased by my newfound friend that knew the language, and how to ask for my liquid treasures over blaring bachata. Those buses are for wimps - or the more fiscally cognizant.

I was alive like never before. I only wished I had someone to smile over to in acknowledgement, someone to share this with, someone to try and comprehend all these new things with. The crescent moon sufficed until my journal was within reach.

After many precarious turns that offered escalated views of guardrails washed away down precipices that I?d rather not see in the light of day ? at 50mph. ? we then saw salvation. Samana was ahead and the lights on the beach told me so (this was back when we had electricity) ? and the only thing I could understand from Vito/Bito/Beeto was that we we?re almost there. My only lingering question was why does the Highway Authority also sell Rum in their name? That doesn?t seem right, but all the town signs are Brugal logs on a post. So ?yes? I can drink one more beer before we get THERE!

Vito/Bito/Beeto does me a solid and gets me my room that was reserved via the internet, then somehow unreserved, but I?m the only one in the hotel, so whatever.

I do my two days at the beach being mistaken for a German tourist at every chance. Damn blonde hair and milky skin. Damn Arians!!!

I take many pictures realizing of course no camera can do justice to my days here ? or my night of inexplicable adventure.

The lesson learned at the end of this segment is this - from Samuel Elliot Morrison:

"Dream dreams,
then write them.
Aye, but live them first."

The rest of the story will come later. I have school tomorrow and the Brugal has worn off.

Damn Highway Authority!!!

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Encore!

Cleef, you divine bastard! This is like a soap opera, I want the next installment, and I want it now.

Who would have thought there was that much talent in that blonde head. I thought you were only funny ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Motoconcho mutt

On the way to Samana, just past Cotu?, we stopped on the side of the road. As we were turning our attention to the roadside wares, we saw a surreal sight. A man on a small motorbike with a dog riding pillion. Not in the immediate way one would visualise a dog doing this, perhaps like Snoopy pursuing the Red Baron from the roof of his kennel: this dog was instead perched across with his four paws gripping the seat, behind the driver.

As it happened, the driver was stopping to buy corn on the cob, like us, so we got talking, he told us that the dog had been doing this since he was a puppy. We asked if we could take his photo, so he obliged and staged it for us by driving off and returning to the roadside. The second time, disaster struck. The dog lost his balance and fell onto the road, almost getting run over in the process. He picked himself up in time but both he and his owner were clearly upset. ?It?s never happened before? said the driver.

I felt pretty bad about the fact that this happened when he was posing for our photos, despite my relief that the dog had not come to any harm.

Now, if only I could find those photos!

Chiri