A Great Experience of Moving My Furniture From Europe to SD

Manny200

Oct 1, 2020
Santo Domingo
For some time, I was apprehending the difficulties I would face by shipping my furniture from Europe to Santo Domingo. It was a bit costly as the shipping company charged 3500 US$. This being said, I was lucky to get a full exoneration being a new resident from the Customs Department (La Direccion General de Aduanas) . I managed to get into the country my hundreds of books, my huge American fridge, my washing machine, my dishwasher, printer, desk, 2 TVs, two beds, etc etc. What made a huge difference was the agent I was lucky to bump into here in SD. This conscientious woman really saved my life. She handled everything with such professionalism. I still haven't woken up from this sweet dream:)

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
For some time, I was apprehending the difficulties I would face by shipping my furniture from Europe to Santo Domingo. It was a bit costly as the shipping company charged 3500 US$. This being said, I was lucky to get a full exoneration being a new resident from the Customs Department (La Direccion General de Aduanas) . I managed to get into the country my hundreds of books, my huge American fridge, my washing machine, my dishwasher, printer, desk, 2 TVs, two beds, etc etc. What made a huge difference was the agent I was lucky to bump into here in SD. This conscientious woman really saved my life. She handled everything with such professionalism. I still haven't woken up from this sweet dream:)
I see you posted this a while ago. We are arriving from the EU in a few weeks and have been told we need to pay duties on our shipment which consists of used household goods. Our shipper, Santa Fe, is adamant we will be charged ... if you have a loophole or website that shows how this can be done I would appreciate it.

Manny200

Oct 1, 2020
Santo Domingo
I see you posted this a while ago. We are arriving from the EU in a few weeks and have been told we need to pay duties on our shipment which consists of used household goods. Our shipper, Santa Fe, is adamant we will be charged ... if you have a loophole or website that shows how this can be done I would appreciate it.
Hello,
If you are new in the country and have recently received your first temporary residence permit, you qualify for 100% exoneration. If, on the other hand, you have been in the DR for many years, then yes you will be charged customs duty for used household goods.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Hello,
If you are new in the country and have recently received your first temporary residence permit, you qualify for 100% exoneration. If, on the other hand, you have been in the DR for many years, then yes you will be charged customs duty for used household goods.
Thank you, I imagine this is a hoop we will have to hop through when we arrive. We have never visited the Dominican Republic, let alone lived there :)

Manny200

Oct 1, 2020
Santo Domingo
Thank you, I imagine this is a hoop we will have to hop through when we arrive. We have never visited the Dominican Republic, let alone lived there :)
In that case you qualify to bring all your household hood and pay zero dollars in customs duty provided you have secured your first residence permit. However, first you need to get your temporary residence permit. That is a prerequisite.
You are not allowed to bring in any goods on a tourist visa. It is not allowed.
If you are planning to relocate to the DR, I will pass you my agent’s contact details when the time comes. She will facilitate things for you.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
In that case you qualify to bring all your household hood and pay zero dollars in customs duty provided you have secured your first residence permit. However, first you need to get your temporary residence permit. That is a prerequisite.
You are not allowed to bring in any goods on a tourist visa. It is not allowed.
If you are planning to relocate to the DR, I will pass you my agent’s contact details when the time comes. She will facilitate things for you.
Hi there, we are arriving on a multinational work visa which should be ready next week if the sun, moon and stars all line up! Its been a frustrating time to say the least. We will then get the residence permit after arrival, or at least apply for it. Thank you for your suggestion and help, much appreciated.

Manny200

Oct 1, 2020
Santo Domingo
Hi there, we are arriving on a multinational work visa which should be ready next week if the sun, moon and stars all line up! Its been a frustrating time to say the least. We will then get the residence permit after arrival, or at least apply for it. Thank you for your suggestion and help, much appreciated.
Then I can assure you will get your household goods into the country without having to pay anything. Do not bring in your stuff before you have secured your residence card though.

You can rent a furnished place for a while. There are short term tenancy agreements for 4 or six months. Once you get your residence permit, you contact Jasmin, my customs agent, and she will take care of the rest. She is very efficient and does not not charge an arm and a leg.

Keep in touch and if you need someone to help you secure a furnished apartment or house in Santo Domingo, contact the lady who enabled me to have a smooth landing in the country Mrs Idalia Hernandez : +1 829 292 7050. A very honest estate agent. Unfortunately she is not an English speaker.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Then I can assure you will get your household goods into the country without having to pay anything. Do not bring in your stuff before you have secured your residence card though.

You can rent a furnished place for a while. There are short term tenancy agreements for 4 or six months. Once you get your residence permit, you contact Jasmin, my customs agent, and she will take care of the rest. She is very efficient and does not not charge an arm and a leg.

Keep in touch and if you need someone to help you secure a furnished apartment or house in Santo Domingo, contact the lady who enabled me to have a smooth landing in the country Mrs Idalia Hernandez : +1 829 292 7050. A very honest estate agent. Unfortunately she is not an English speaker.
Thank you, you have been most helpful and I will call on your contact's help if we come unstuck with whomever the company assigns. Our container will leave whenever the shipper can secure a spot on a vessel, which is as scarce as hen's teeth right now, demurrage will no doubt need to be paid one way or the other either here or in DR awaiting vessels or paperwork. So it'll no doubt end up being a math exercise, determining whether demurrage vs duties is lower

Manny200

Oct 1, 2020
Santo Domingo
Thank you, you have been most helpful and I will call on your contact's help if we come unstuck with whomever the company assigns. Our container will leave whenever the shipper can secure a spot on a vessel, which is as scarce as hen's teeth right now, demurrage will no doubt need to be paid one way or the other either here or in DR awaiting vessels or paperwork. So it'll no doubt end up being a math exercise, determining whether demurrage vs duties is lower

Here is my custom's agent's details:

yasminbrito82@gmail.com

Her full name is Ms Yasmin Brito

+1 809 330 1560

If you happen to be fluent in Spanish, by all means, give her a Whatsapp call. If not, send her an email in English and she will find ways to respond to you.

All the best.

Reactions: OnTheRoadAgain