A man drowned in Sosua beach yesterday

U

Uzin

I have not seen this on any thread, if it was reported please move it to that thread.

It's sad to see a man drowned in Sosua beach yesterday (Wed 4 Sep 2019). I just arrived when I saw the body being put in the ambulance. It was such a nice day and calm sea, many theories, too much to eat and drink or having a heart attack were among them, but who knows until proper autopsy that probably won't be done...

RIP, it was just a sad way to go in such a nice day on the beach. It wasn't even clear where he was from, they said Dominican, but also American, so people said he had residency in both... !

As usual the body was left without a proper cover (only face covered) so the usual social media crazy taking their pics and videos, it seems to be an obsession here with the dead, they are just so slow removing them and leave them for a show, unlike in the west...!

J

jd426

I knew before I even looked at the Pic ID ( from the indigestion theory, and comment Matilda made) , this man HAD to be in his 50's ..
Eating a big meal and then immediately going for a long swim in the deep water , NOT a good idea. especially at our age .

May be RIP, and Condolences to his Family and all his Friends ...

U

Uzin

It's almost unbelievable, I heard about not eating a lot and swimming but never thought it could end up like this.

The sea was exactly like swimming pool yesterday, not a slightest of waves (contrary to what is mentioned in the article) and many people around, very strange.... Not sure where or how far out he went swimming, but it is amazing this could happen there and then...!

S

SKY

Since when does the DR news ever get something right? The guy was probably far out and drowned. There is no under tow there or large waves of any kind.

J

jd426

Since when does the DR news ever get something right? The guy was probably far out and drowned. There is no under tow there or large waves of any kind.

It is almost impossible to just Drown for " no reason" , for someone who can swim out that far ... you can FLOAT for HOURS..

So this actually a very believable scenario. Any Doctor will tell you, if you have a beer Gut ( Visceral FAT ),, your lung capacity is greatly reduced ,and Eating a heavy meal, and then going for a long swim , especially in your 50's . is a very bad idea ..

not looking for a debate .... but this is coming straight from a Doctor ..
Hopefully this Mans Tragic Death is not in vain ..

S

SKY

I don't doubt the part about food, it is the man being taken out to sea somehow by the current or whatever they assumed in the article. It well could be a medical issue that took him down. I knew a guy that was an excellent swimmer that drowned in one of the Greek Islands and it was diagnosed as a heart attack.

L

ljmesg

Perhaps a suicidal drowning. Very sad.

R.I.P and thank you for your service.

K

KyleMackey

I don't doubt the part about food, it is the man being taken out to sea somehow by the current or whatever they assumed in the article. It well could be a medical issue that took him down. I knew a guy that was an excellent swimmer that drowned in one of the Greek Islands and it was diagnosed as a heart attack.
When I was in HS there was a Doctor who lived my hood. He was a avid jogger, almost every morning. One morning while jogging he had a heart attack and boom died immediately. Late 40's I believe.

Z

zoomzx11

Sosua beach is nearly as safe as a swimming pool.
Indigestion is never a cause of death.
Waves do not drag people out, even on calm days.
Uzin has the water as flat calm.
No mention of how far from shore.
A person who is not an accomplished swimmer expends a great deal of energy just keeping above the surface and moving along a little.
Someone not used to physical exertion and a poor swimmer can drown easily or the exertion of trying to swim the few feet back can trigger a heart attack. Add into the mix the fear as one realizes the danger and redoubles the efforts.

Sad event, guy appears to have been a vet.
Condolences to family and friends.

Z

zoomzx11

When I was in HS there was a Doctor who lived my hood. He was a avid jogger, almost every morning. One morning while jogging he had a heart attack and boom died immediately. Late 40's I believe.

Ever heard of Jim Fixx, author of " Complete Book of Running"

Z

zoomzx11

Franco Columbo just died last week at a beach in Sardinia
Former Mr. Olympia and Arnold's work out bud and best friend.
Guy did a 525 pound bench press in the day.
Cause of death was heart attack and drowning per MSM.
Nice guy.
No one should ever die by drowning.

Z

zoomzx11

J

jd426

Basketball Players have dropped dead on the court... Long distance Runners and Bicyclist champions , as well...

No one knows when a persons time is up.
but certain things one does NOT do, if a Doctor tells you to NOT do them ..

and anyone who thinks they can swim out 300 yards , after eating a meal is a good idea.. then maybe you need to re think that ..
The " indigestion" wont kill you, but the inability to catch your breath and then perhaps swallowing some water , most certainly CAN and will ..

Z

zoomzx11

Basketball Players have dropped dead on the court... Long distance Runners and Bicyclist champions , as well...

No one knows when a persons time is up.
but certain things one does NOT do, if a Doctor tells you to NOT do them ..

and anyone who thinks they can swim out 300 yards , after eating a meal is a good idea.. then maybe you need to re think that ..
The " indigestion" wont kill you, but the inability to catch your breath and then perhaps swallowing some water , most certainly CAN and will ..

Did this poor guy swim 300 yards, that is like a fifth of a mile?
Agree that swallowing water is unpleasant but breathing it in is much worse.

Not to be argumentative but there is a lot a person can do to be aware of their state of health.
Not all that expensive either. Excellent non invasive testing can provide plenty of early warnings. Cardiogram for example.
People have to be willing to change their habits.

A short walk on Sosua beach shows you plenty of men with metabolic syndrome and smoking.

I do not in any way suggest this poor guy was to blame for his sudden demise.

U

USA DOC

...the common rule is wait 45 minutes after eating to swim.. it takes about that long for the stomach to empty, or you can cramp up....have never felt any under tow on that beach....best advise for any swimmers , get in better shape...

J

j&t's future

This really has upset me.
I terribly sad story, may he RIP.
Condolences to his family and friends.