A New Fashion? Doms?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Como dije antes......

Like I said before, MANY do it without malice, others do it with malice.

SOME do it to abbreviate, SOME do it meaning "dummy".

This is NOT the cure for cancer, ladies and gentlemen, all one needs to do is see how the post was written to find out if the person is abbreviating or saying "dummy", for crying out loud!!.

As MANY don't do it with malice, I don't see why it should be "banned". It's not as bad as the "N" word, Rocky.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
To be honest I have never heard the term Dom referring to Dominican's in a negative.

Then again I am not a DR Pro, but in my experience, and to my viewpoint, I would neither view it as a negative..

Any Dominicans I have asked, to this point, didn't understand why it would be a negative until I explained.

I would DEFINITELY say it is NOT comparative to the N word. That has history and reasons why it is derogative. A "Dom" is simply an abbreviation for 99.8% of ppl who use it. (According to MY statistics)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I think it touches the wider issue of why do people abbreviate - to save time? because they can't be bothered? because they belong to generation text-message? for a whole lot of other reasons?

I just wish people would remember that unless a post or thread is deleted, their words are findable in perpetuity or until DR1 ceases its existence. Might make us all stop and think................

P.S. Chris, we usually refer to ourselves as Brits. (that's an abbreviation I am guilty of). Engs. is a bit close to the Spanish Ing. and no, I'm no engineer. ;)

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Here in NY in the barrios the use of "Doms" or "Domos" generally is not used when referring to anything positive about Dominicans. It would usually be used in a derogitory manner by another hispanic group most likely of Puerto Rican heritage. As one poster stated you have to look at the source and the context. Some Puerto Ricans may take offense to being called "Rican" I guess it all depends on the person but as we all know there are ignorant people in all races.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Perhaps the tone of the sentence in which the word is used, would be the determining factor.
I would still like to hear from a bunch of our long time Dominican members, to hear what they have to say.

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
I agree with Rocky in that you really have to look at the context of the sentence. One can easily determine anothers intentions by the manner in which a word is used. The question is where do you draw the line in order to be politically correct. Some Dominicans may take offense to being called "Dominican" instead of "Latino" or "Hispanic" Same as with any other race. "Gringo" could be offensive to some. I know that the Dominican members appreciate your concern and for bringing this subject up but i think most would agree that you would have to look at the poster and the context of the post rather than banning the use of the word all together. This is coming from a new member and is just my opinion. If anyone is curious I am of Puerto Rican heritage married to a woman of Dominican heritage.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think I have come up with a couple of good compromises for those who are poor typers like myself:

1. D'cans.
2. Domins.

Will these fly Chris? :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Would NEVER Use "Doms" to Indicate a Dumb ominican

I prefer to use;"Duminican

The use of "Dom" is NOT a substitute for "Dumb".

"Ambev" is used to indicate the "American Beverage Company". I don't find the use of "Am" for
'American''
derogatory!

This is just yet ANOTHER example of " DR1ers" falling all over themselves in an effort to be "Politically Correct"!

I expecte more of you.
ESPECIALLY from the Canuks"!!!:cheeky:

'CRIS colon'........'Rican Power"!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Lo mismo.....

Perhaps the tone of the sentence in which the word is used, would be the determining factor.
Exactly what I said on post 22.

The fact is that some people use "Dom" when trying to say "dummy"....Just like others use other forms, like Colon (did someone ring "your bell", btw, whahaha).

I have heard, during MY (as in MINE)lifetime: "Dom", "Dummynican", "Duminiqui" (and Dominiqui), "Dommi", "Dumbminican".....

Again, just because YOU have not heard it doesn't mean others have not.

I, for one, don't think ANYBODY should stop using it if they don't mean to say "dummy".

I, for one, could NOT care less if people keep using it even if they mean to say "dummy".

Like I said, all one needs to do is to consider the source. Case closed!.

N

naturelover

im not a fan of the term Brits but one has to put up with these things .

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Bueno.
As a100% Cibae?o. I think we should be a little more respectful to Dominicans since we are all here because we had some good experience at some point in the Dominican Republic.
Minorities will always feel band when the ones in powers use nicknames, abbreviations to describe them. If my opinion counts and we are not violation any DR1 of freedom of speech please let take the extra time and not call any race by any other than full. Or we can just make a poll about a new DR1 term for Dominicans that will not offend the majority.
best
Albin

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Bueno.
As a100% Cibae?o. I think we should be a little more respectful to Dominicans since we are all here because we had some good experience at some point in the Dominican Republic.
Minorities will always feel bad when the ones in powers use nicknames, abbreviations to describe them. If my opinion counts and we are not violation any DR1 of freedom of speech please let take the extra time and not call any race by any other than full. Or we can just make a poll about a new DR1 term for Dominicans that will not offend the majority.
best
Albin
I'm certainly interested in getting opinions from our resident Dominicans, but I fail to see how Dominicans could be classified a minority.
Also, Australians are often affectionately referred to as Aussies, and it's not derogatory in any way.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No entiende.....

I'm certainly interested in getting opinions from our resident Dominicans, but I fail to see how Dominicans could be classified a minority.
Also, Australians are often affectionately referred to as Aussies, and it's not derogatory in any way.
Contra Rocky, you just don't understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

"Dom" rhymes with "DUM"B" and "DUM"MY.

I am sure that if people start calling Australians "ASS"ies, they would mind. (Well, the ones who give a crap).

In order for you to understand, you want Dominican members to voice their opinions BUUUUT what you seem NOT to understand is that NOT many Dominicans on this site voice their opinions.

I already told you I have heard it for YEEEEARS, others have told you they have also heard it when talking negatively about Dominicans, even one poster said, if I am not mistaken, that other races, including SOME Puerto Ricans (which I already knew), use it when referring to Dominicans in NOT a nice way.

(Read GeeDee's post, number 25).

So what more do you want?.

We already know YOU don't mean it in a bad why. And in my book, even if you are, I couldn't care less.

In no way, shape or form am I saying that people should NOT use it here....ALLLLLL I am saying is that SOOOOOOOOOOME people use it meaning "dummy". SOOOOOOOOOOOOOME do NOT!.

I am DONE with this thread!! (Unless quoted or "jabbed").

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Contra Rocky, you just don't understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

"Dom" rhymes with "DUM"B" and "DUM"MY.
I don't see it as rhyming, and you have to admit that I make a good case.
The initial argument was that DR1 members had used it in a derogatory fashion, meaning dumb, yet research proved otherwise.
So it becomes really difficult to make your case, when there is no eveidence whatsoever of "Dom" having been used in a negative fashion.
You can't argue with the evidence.