A New Fashion? Doms?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ok, ganaste....

I don't see it as rhyming, and you have to admit that I make a good case.
The initial argument was that DR1 members had used it in a derogatory fashion, meaning dumb, yet research proved otherwise.
So it becomes really difficult to make your case, when there is no eveidence whatsoever of "Dom" having been used in a negative fashion.
You can't argue with the evidence.
True, you are right....I was "seeing" thing....I have never heard that word before..NOT here, NOT in Elementary, Junior High, High School or College.

Stupid me.

Roger and Out.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
True, you are right....I was "seeing" thing....I have never heard that word before..NOT here, NOT in Elementary, Junior High, High School or College.

Stupid me.

Roger and Out.
Geez Miguel.
Take the time to read what I wrote.
I said there was no evidence of DR1 members using the word in a derogatory fashion.
I made no mention of your experiences in school.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The initial argument was that DR1 members had used it in a derogatory fashion, meaning dumb, yet research proved otherwise.

No, no argument. The initial question was if anyone found it disconcerting - just a simple question. And my opinion was that I don't like it.

The pieces about Dom or Domos being used at all, was sure news to me.
And I'm happy with the answer that it depends on the context and the source.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si, esperalo.....

Geez Miguel.
Take the time to read what I wrote.
I said there was no evidence of DR1 members using the word in a derogatory fashion.
I made no mention of your experiences in school.
Christa: You got your answer from me and other posters.

Rocky:

Come on man....Do YOU really think SOME of these people will admit they mean to say "dummy"....

Yeah, and I am the Queen of England!!.

Give me a break!!.

It's in the context, compadre, it's in the context!.

Now, pleeease, let me be Roger and Out!.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Christa: You got your answer from me and other posters.

Rocky:

Come on man....Do YOU really think SOME of these people will admit they mean to say "dummy"....

Yeah, and I am the Queen of England!!.

Give me a break!!.

It's in the context, compadre, it's in the context!.

Now, pleeease, let me be Roger and Out!.
I took the time to read all those posts with references to "Doms" and found no such thing.
Show me that I'm wrong and I'll change my mind.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Me jodi...

I took the time to read all those posts with references to "Doms" and found no such thing.
And you read ALLL their contexts?.

I don't think you are getting me.

I (as in ME) think SOME are written to mean "dummy",

I (as in ME) think that SOME are NOT written to mean "dummy",

I (as in ME) do NOT care if anybody change his/her mind,

I (as in ME) do NOT give a crap if they are meaning "dummy" or not,

I (as in ME) am voicing MY OPINION on what I (as in ME) see/read,

And the most important of ALLLLL the "I's":

I (as in ME) is leaving to Cancun tomorrow and we (as in Me and her) can NOT wait!!. Wahahahaha!!.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I think it touches the wider issue of why do people abbreviate - to save time? because they can't be bothered? because they belong to generation text-message? for a whole lot of other reasons?
Unless you are a knuckle-dragging caveman typing with your thumbs, why not just hit those 6 extra keys?:tired:
I was taught that abbreviations are appropriate when the same word is used several times but it is at least spelled out the first time.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I know that I am one of the main culprits, but in my defence, I have never even heard the term "dom" used in speech. Of course, I have never been to NYC or Boston but have lived in Florida for some time and never even heard it there.

The only reason I do it in writing is to save time, because I typically mispell it and have to check it, which takes time from important stuff, like the xbox, haha.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Unless you are a knuckle-dragging caveman typing with your thumbs, why not just hit those 6 extra keys?:tired:
I was taught that abbreviations are appropriate when the same word is used several times but it is at least spelled out the first time.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dominicans is a tricky word to type. Even though it's one of the most common words I use, 8 times out of 10 it comes out as Domincians. I agree that 'Doms' was not meant in a derogatory way, but I think that to avoid misunderstandings it's worth typing the whole word.

It shouldn't rhyme with 'dumb', although in a latino accent where 'u' is pronounced as 'o' I can see how it might happen...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

I did the same check after you and came to the same conclusion. Most people don't write foot long posts so it didn't take long to read the posts that came up ;)

I've never used it so whatever everyone decides is fine with me.

Maybe Nals should do a poll on this ;)

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ahi te va'.....

I did the same check after you and came to the same conclusion. Most people don't write foot long posts so it didn't take long to read the posts that came up ;)

I've never used it so whatever everyone decides is fine with me.

Maybe Nals should do a poll on this ;)
Very funny.....NOT!!.

Now, if you REEEEALLY had read the posts, you would have found what I am talking about.

Hey Rocky, tell me is this is what you were looking for, in all the wrong places. ANNND btw, it did NOT take me long to find, when I looked in the right places:

1- On 7/17/07, a poster wrote:

"Well, young lady, Merengue is overrated, especially today's brand, which is really stupid Mambos, which is written with the Dom-Yorks in mind".

2- On 8/9/06, this is what a member wrote AFTER he saw someone use the term "dom-york":

"Why are you so offensive against New Yorkers?.

Where are you from?.

There are dumb people all over the world. Learn how to spell the word dumb.

I do not know you and I hope I never get in contact with you because I will show you how dumb New Yorkers can be".
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me know if you need the thread's tittles, the forums, the posts number, person who wrote it or a few more examples.

Hey, I will even throw a freebie for you so you can see for yourself that in SOME cases, it even means "bitch":

On 6/26/06, A poster wrote:

"And by the way, there are bitchy women in the DR....I've seen plenty"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND a poster replied to the above post:

"We call them dom-yorks".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know, ok....Thanks.

Btw: I ALSO THINK THAT SOME POSTERS USE THE TERM JUST TRYING TO BE FUNNY. WITHOUT MALICE.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Very funny.....NOT!!.

Now, if you REEEEALLY had read the posts, you would have found what I am talking about.

Hey Rocky, tell me is this is what you were looking for, in all the wrong places. ANNND btw, it did NOT take me long to find, when I looked in the right places:

"Well, young lady, Merengue is overrated, especially today's brand, which is really stupid Mambos, which is written with the Dom-Yorks in mind".

2- On 8/9/06, this is what a member wrote AFTER he saw someone use the term "dom-york":

Where are you from?.

I do not know you and I hope I never get in contact with you because I will show you how dumb New Yorkers can be".
Let me know if you need the thread's tittles, the forums, the posts number, person who wrote it or a few more examples.

Hey, I will even throw a freebie for you so you can see for yourself that in SOME cases, it even means "bitch":

Btw: I ALSO THINK THAT SOME POSTERS USE THE TERM JUST TRYING TO BE FUNNY. WITHOUT MALICE.
Not that it has anything to do with the discussion here, but I would like the links.
FYI: We are talking about Dominicans being referred to as Doms.
We are not talking about Dom-Yorks.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Very funny.....NOT!!.

Where are you from?.

Geez, Miguel.
What extent will you go to to argue your point?
I found that thread you referred to, and you used it completely out of context.
Some newbie poster thought that "dom-yorks" was "dumb Yorks" mispelled, and he took offense to it, presumably because he is a New Yorker.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/52977-shorts-2.html#post426027

And in the other post that you mentioned, a poster says that modern Merengue is written for Dom-Yorks in mind.
How does that translate into calling them dumb?

Furthermore, Dom-Yorks is an old expression going back many years, and is not event the topic of our conversation in this thread.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Pu' claro....

I just searched the word and came up with 123 posts.
I didn't check every single one, but at least 1/4, if not more, and nowhere did anyone even remotely come close to use it in the context of meaning dumb.
Each time, it was nothing but an abbreviation, nothing more, nothing less.
Of course you will say what you posted on your latest post. BUUUT

You also wrote the above.

Example number one shows that the poster is calling Dominican Yorks "stupid".

Perhaps it's an abbreviation. Yeah, right!.

Oooooh, and by the way, YOU also wrote:

"I said there was no evidence of DR1 members using the word in a derogatory fashion".

Well sir, I gave you the evidence that SOME have used it in a derogatory way and I don't know about other people but calling a person stupid and bitch is not "music" to my hears.

And in case you say now that it was not used to mean "dummy", it was used in a derogatory way, which you said you didn't see the evidecence. Now, I gave you the evidence.

Now, allow me to send you, via PM, the like to those threads.

Btw: You, forgot to write the whole thing on the post you are quoting:

He said: Merengue is overrated, especially today's brand, which it's really STUPID MAMBO, WHICH IS WRITTEN WITH THE DOM-YORKS IN MIND".

See, you forgot a few words.

Annd, I will go to the same extent you are to prove YOUR point.

Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Of course you will say what you posted on your latest post. BUUUT

You also wrote the above.

Example number one shows that the poster is calling Dominican Yorks "stupid".

Perhaps it's an abbreviation. Yeah, right!.

Oooooh, and by the way, YOU also wrote:

"I said there was no evidence of DR1 members using the word in a derogatory fashion".

Well sir, I gave you the evidence that SOME have used it in a derogatory way and I don't know about other people but calling a person stupid and bitch is not "music" to my hears.

And in case you say now that it was not used to mean "dummy", it was used in a derogatory way, which you said you didn't see the evidecence. Now, I gave you the evidence.

Now, allow me to send you, via PM, the like to those threads.
I guess you didn't read my last post, Miguel.
Let it go.
Your 2 examples do not apply. (As proven above)
They are both about the use of the words "Dom-Yorks, not about the use of the word "doms".
Furthermore, the 2 examples you cited offer no proof whatsoever.
As you cannoty admit you are wrong, I will take this thread off my subscription list and let you have the last word.

I'm not in the mood for arguing, specially when the point has been proven countless times.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Hmmm, putting some thought into the matter it's really tough to figure out what would be right way, the most PC way to call somebody who comes from the Dominican Republic. And being part Canadian, I will give it a try.

Doms - although it has a different sound than dumb, has a S&M sexual connoation as being dominant. i.e. dom vs. sub. Some people don't like to announce how kinky they are.

Dumbinicans - self explanitory why it is offensive

Dominican - can be confused with a monk, might not sit well with the few atheist people from the dominican republic.

Dominican Republican - well now they are just being associated with George W. Bush and his gang, many may object to this.

Domins - sounds too much like domino - could imply "squareness", and also sounds similar to the french "demain" - could imply that people from the Dominican Republic leave things for "ma?ana".

D'cans - I dunno about you, but this makes me think of big breasts. While not a bad thing, it can be interpreted as calling people from the dominican republic, tits or boobs, which is an insult to their intelligence.

So after much thought, the 2 best thing sI could come up with to call somebody from the Domican Republic are "somebody from the Domican Republic" or a "SBFDR" or a "Dominican Republic Islander" or "DRI". But now that I think of "DRI" is phoneotically the same as "Dry" which might imply that SBFDRs are broke, still not good....

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No queres jugar?...

I guess you didn't read my last post, Miguel.
Let it go.
Your 2 examples do not apply. (As proven above)
They are both about the use of the words "Dom-Yorks, not about the use of the word "doms".
Furthermore, the 2 examples you cited offer no proof whatsoever.
As you cannoty admit you are wrong, I will take this thread off my subscription list and let you have the last word.

I'm not in the mood for arguing, specially when the point has been proven countless times.
Even if you said that it was not used as a derogatory way, I showed you a few examples where they were INDEED used it that way.

Come on man, you know I love you and we are just 2 adults disagreeing on something.

You think this is going to get me at at you....

Buddy, I respect you too much to do such a stupid thing....

Even if I am as dumb as a "Dom-York", whahahahahaha!!.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Say "Toe-May-Toe",and I Say "Toe-Mah-Toe"!!!

I frequently use the term "DUMinican" here!

"If the "Shoe" fits, Wear IT!

I don't use the term in a derogatory meaning.

If Dominicans,as a group, do something "DUMB",I call them "Duminicans!!

"something" like vote for the politician who passes out the most "Chickens",and not for the politician who will do the best job of running the Country, "Duminicans"!!!

Spend time playing dominos,drinking "Presidente",and dancing "Bachata" instead of with their children,"Duminicans"!!

Drive with their "High Beams" on all the time, "Duminicans"!!!

Drive on the wrong side of the road,or down a "One Way" street,the WRONG way, "Duminicans!!

Impregnate a never ending group of teenage girls,and NEVER take ANY responsibility for the children they produce,"Duminicans"!!

Editors Note:.. Due to a limited amount of time,and space,this list will now be terminated,(Although we all know that it could go on FOREVER!!!)

Cris Colon.... I like living in the DR,because I am a "Genius""!!!

Compared to everyone else!!

In the "Land Of The Blind", The CYCLOPS is KINGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC