A night at Barcelo AI, Punta Cana.

May 29, 2006
What happened she lined her pockets with ziplocks and filled up with a few lbs of camarones?

We got our money's worth out of it! You nailed it. We were at the buffet and she comes back with way more than she could eat. She gets about half way through it and then pulls out a half gallon Tupperware container out of her daypack. She starts loading it up and I tell her it's generally frowned on to do this and might even get us kicked out, so she goes and asks one of the waitstaff about it. Much too my surprize, they not only tell it's fine but then hold open her purse to help her load the now pack container into. Since it's all cooked food and the end of the meal, it will all be tossed out anyway. I don't think Management would approve, but I doubt this was a first time thing for them...

Dinner comes and yes, she has the camarones and another Tupperware container.
She takes it all back to the room and packs it into the mini fridge and then we're off to show. A Michael Jackson Tribute show with the star in Kabuki white face make-up doing actually pretty impressive moonwalking, stunts and other fanfare.. It's a bit rough and weird to take in at first, but by the end they had won me over with the effort. Now it's ten and I'm thinking we're off to bed, but no, now it's off to the club for more drinks and dancing until about 1:30 and finally off to bed.

Next morning, it's another buffet and she's ready. I'm happy to have bacon, toast and and an omlete for the first time this trip, but she's come prepared again with another Tupperware container. What does she get? Real gourmet food, Fruit Loops. Her eyes are all sparkly with how she hit the jackpot for her kids when she gets back.. She finds some various other sweets to pack away and we splash away most of the morning in the giant pool. Lunch is rather awful burnt pizza, even by Dominican standards, and by 2PM we're out of the room heading for home.

Mind you, when you come by bus and moto, there is no taxi service between the front desk and the main gate. We lucked out on the way in flagging down some incoming tourists, but on the way out we had to hoof it for almost a mile with our luggage and about 5 extra pounds of food in tow, mostly sweets of various kinds.

The plan was to spend two nights at some dump AI for $50/night, but I'm so glad it fell through. I met a Canadian couple while we were stuck at the first gate and they had nothing good to say about it.. Barcelo was a deal for what we got it for and squeezed out of it, but I would not have been happy at the full price, esp when I found out it's an upcharge for WIFI. $3 for 15 minutes in the cybercafe.. I waited until we got on the guagua to Higuey where it was free.. I had a couple other minor gripes, but she loved it(and was *appreciative*), so it was money well spent, my birthday too(52) and a very good time overall..

May 29, 2006
As for the booking, she used a local agency in Higuey, we paid cash three days before arriving and had a reservation number. Sounds like this happens a lot more than I would expect.. The couple we met were so unhappy with our first choice, they had gotten another hotel in town and were just using the resort for the beach and some free food and booze. They were in their late 20s, so I told them to check out Cabarete and Hotel Kaoba.. The beach at Cabarete is much better than at Barcelo IMHO...

Feb 7, 2007
So as I understand, you paid twice, you paid for 2 nights in Barcelo at a local travel agent 2 days before, and then you paid RD$8,000 per night directly at hotel after you waited for an hour when they could not find your reservation and had to do another one on the spot. And at the end you say you are lucky the original plan fell through of spending two night at a dump AI.

Is it me or is this story just somewhat weird?

Edit:... Oh now I read better ... "she used a local agency"
OK, now it makes sense.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
@ Peter, I hope when Spice & Company starts doing 7 figures and goes public she learns to buy her own food.
That was not in the least bit embarrassing for you?
I hope she remembered to bring an Igloo and ice packs, camarones really do not travel in the heat too well.

May 29, 2006
Yes, but I don't think the other tourists noticed and for the Dominicans, it was business as usual. I'm she has many moments where I embarrass her without knowing it. The take home booty had no meat~ mostly sweets, cereal and leftover pizza.. The kids did go crazy when they saw it all, it lasted about 15 minutes.

As for the paying twice, the first cash charge never went through so it was applied to the the second booking. She handled all of it on the phone with the agent while we were at the front gates; I'm just glad the office was open.. Next time I'll book online. I'd rather take her to Cabarete, but she doesn't want the day long bus rides.

We went to Sirena the day before I left and I was expecting her to load up on specialty goods, but the total was only around 1500 pesos with about 500 of it mine, even though I told her to buy whatever she wanted. She's really very thrifty for the most part and can keep a running total in her head of whatever we buy. I was rather shocked when she bought a pack of four rolls of toilet paper on the Black Friday sale because it was half the price of buying it a roll at a time at the colmado. Getting a barrio girl to get over buying one day or even one meal at a time is a process, but she's starting to catch on. She'd be shocked to know how much I keep around the house here..

As for the spices, I expect she'll go back to buying one day's worth at a time again until I get back and can buy a week's worth in one trip. I like doing the buying runs because there's a wifi spot right by the spice vendor where I can get a batida de lechosa and a cappuccino for breakfast. I can only handle the boiled pumpkin with potatoes and an hardboiled egg for breakfast about once a week~ when we hit it big, I'll be pushing for more cornflak con leche and other gourmet foods..

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
We got our money's worth out of it! You nailed it. We were at the buffet and she comes back with way more than she could eat. She gets about half way through it and then pulls out a half gallon Tupperware container out of her daypack. She starts loading it up and I tell her it's generally frowned on to do this and might even get us kicked out, so she goes and asks one of the waitstaff about it. Much too my surprize, they not only tell it's fine but then hold open her purse to help her load the now pack container into. Since it's all cooked food and the end of the meal, it will all be tossed out anyway. I don't think Management would approve, but I doubt this was a first time thing for them...

Dinner comes and yes, she has the camarones and another Tupperware container.
She takes it all back to the room and packs it into the mini fridge and then we're off to show. A Michael Jackson Tribute show with the star in Kabuki white face make-up doing actually pretty impressive moonwalking, stunts and other fanfare.. It's a bit rough and weird to take in at first, but by the end they had won me over with the effort. Now it's ten and I'm thinking we're off to bed, but no, now it's off to the club for more drinks and dancing until about 1:30 and finally off to bed.

Next morning, it's another buffet and she's ready. I'm happy to have bacon, toast and and an omlete for the first time this trip, but she's come prepared again with another Tupperware container. What does she get? Real gourmet food, Fruit Loops. Her eyes are all sparkly with how she hit the jackpot for her kids when she gets back.. She finds some various other sweets to pack away and we splash away most of the morning in the giant pool. Lunch is rather awful burnt pizza, even by Dominican standards, and by 2PM we're out of the room heading for home.

Mind you, when you come by bus and moto, there is no taxi service between the front desk and the main gate. We lucked out on the way in flagging down some incoming tourists, but on the way out we had to hoof it for almost a mile with our luggage and about 5 extra pounds of food in tow, mostly sweets of various kinds.

The plan was to spend two nights at some dump AI for $50/night, but I'm so glad it fell through. I met a Canadian couple while we were stuck at the first gate and they had nothing good to say about it.. Barcelo was a deal for what we got it for and squeezed out of it, but I would not have been happy at the full price, esp when I found out it's an upcharge for WIFI. $3 for 15 minutes in the cybercafe.. I waited until we got on the guagua to Higuey where it was free.. I had a couple other minor gripes, but she loved it(and was *appreciative*), so it was money well spent, my birthday too(52) and a very good time overall..

That's ghetto on soooo many levels.

May 29, 2006
cornflakes is gourmet food? i weep for you.

It's a step by step process.. Once I have my cooking equipment down there I can start getting her to try more new foods. We don't have anything to even make pancakes at this point and I doubt she's ever had them.

As for *being ghetto,* yes she's poor, but she's busting her butt to rise out of it while supporting both parents and two kids, and pitching in for numerous other relatives, including an aunt who is wheelchair bound from polio. Even before I came along, she was clearing almost double what a typical Dominican makes. How many expats can start with 500 pesos on a Monday and net over 4000 by Friday? I certainly can't yet. To me *being ghetto* is blowing your money on a fancy cell phone, weaves and acrylic nails while not having enough food in the house.

Taking her to an AI was in part so she could see beyond her current horizon(and beyond mine too, franky). When we start flipping 2000 pesos into 8000 pesos a week, we'll be able to afford some more trips and more importantly, upgrade her family's situation. Her big rewards so far have been relative food security and being able to go to cyber cafe where she met me online. I know what it's like to have humble beginnings. I was born in a trailer myself and my mom grew up milking cows. It's not where you start, it's what you make of it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's a step by step process.. Once I have my cooking equipment down there I can start getting her to try more new foods. We don't have anything to even make pancakes at this point and I doubt she's ever had them.

As for *being ghetto,* yes she's poor, but she's busting her butt to rise out of it while supporting both parents and two kids, and pitching in for numerous other relatives, including an aunt who is wheelchair bound from polio. Even before I came along, she was clearing almost double what a typical Dominican makes. How many expats can start with 500 pesos on a Monday and net over 4000 by Friday? I certainly can't yet. To me *being ghetto* is blowing your money on a fancy cell phone, weaves and acrylic nails while not having enough food in the house.

Taking her to an AI was in part so she could see beyond her current horizon(and beyond mine too, franky). When we start flipping 2000 pesos into 8000 pesos a week, we'll be able to afford some more trips and more importantly, upgrade her family's situation. Her big rewards so far have been relative food security and being able to go to cyber cafe where she met me online. I know what it's like to have humble beginnings. I was born in a trailer myself and my mom grew up milking cows. It's not where you start, it's what you make of it.

Peter , i absolutely love your style. keep on keeping on. you will be happy, because you know what happiness is.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Absolutely, slow and steady and you'll both be fine. My wife doesn't like A1's other than it being a break from the school. She gives two Aunts pensions, employs at least eight relatives, and pays medical insurance for another 3-4, but she still get's called cheap by some of them that have their hand out all the time for more, without helping themselves.
Your last statement is the truth, unvarnished.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv

My wife is from a humble background as well. However she has always been very concious of not doing anything that would embarass her or me. Our first date was a great argentinan restaurant.
She had no idea on argentinan steaks so ordered the same as me. Cringed a bit when juice poured out of the steak as she cut into it. That cringe turned to delight when she tasted it.
She adapted quickly as she loves new experiences. She does have relatives that came from far less humble beginnings that have piled bread into handbag and ordered three meals to go for family, thinking I wouldn't notice.
Wife refuses to invite that relative to dinner since then.

OTOH, she does love free stuff. She never really eats chocolate. Never buys it, never asks for it. However if we are in a hotel and they leave chocolate on pillow she gets excited and eats it. Littlest details make her happy.
On a plane, I never eat. I fall asleep before wheels up. Turns out when stewardess see me sleeping my wife makes sure they leave my lunch or dinner as well.
Then she eats BOTH. Most of the time she isn't crazy about the food, but she says it calms her nerves to be occupying herself by eating and "we paid for it".

Ordering two creme brules for dessert at Emeril's after saying she was stuffed from dinner is the closest she has come to embarassing me, but I thoght it was cute. She always has room for creme brule. We had no idea Fogo De Chao serves creme brule, and now after gorging on meat, she will never leave without creme brule.

May 29, 2006
Creme Brule.. there's an idea. I can make that in the rice cooker I brought down, but I'll need a blowtorch. Flan would be easy though. Made them homemade choc pudding with just ChocoRica and some fecula. That was a big hit. She made some sweetened cornmeal porridge a couple times with cinnamon and vanilla. Not bad at all, esp when you're very hungry.

The only thing I simply couldn't eat was a soup made with whole chicken livers and boiled plantains. They were happy to have the protein. She never served yucca, which I hate, but yatua was pretty common. More expensive than potatoes.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Wow! If I took a Dominican chica ( and I have plenty) to an AI in PC and she acted like that ( a mooch). I would send her back on the bus. The fact that some posters are encouraging this type of behaviour, also says much about them, MOOCHES.. In my humble opinion this women is no good and not going to bring you any sort of long lasting peace.. How completely embarrassing. Sheesh!

May 29, 2006
Six months so far and plenty of peace, plenty of happy. Maybe you'll do better yourself if you stop referring to your dates as "chicas"... :)

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
I enjoyed reading your post, with a big chuckle, im sorry...
Gotta give it up to her , making it happen. Thanks for sharing .

People dont realize the hustle of being poor, some of that upity class bs goes out the window to survive. She did it right, the resort workers understand. If it was the barcelon dominican even more. I like hanging with the dominicans at the resort cause it feels like home. Not everyone thats poor are empty of love

May 29, 2006
Pity about the pizza. With some better equipment, they could be putting out over a 100 pizzas an hour using fresh dough and they wouldn't look like this:

12351305_10207573542194153_1306301668_n.jpg

I saw the steel deck oven enclosed by bricks, pre-made shells and knew it wasn't going to be pretty. A dozen or so $3 pizza screens would make the burned crust issue go away.

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
I assume they have a central commissary doing most of the production for all of the PC Barcelo resorts, then it's shipped in catering racks. It seemed to me that very little cooking was done on site aside from the demonstration station, and that could use some upgrades too.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Pity about the pizza. With some better equipment, they could be putting out over a 100 pizzas an hour using fresh dough and they wouldn't look like this:

12351305_10207573542194153_1306301668_n.jpg

I saw the steel deck oven enclosed by bricks, pre-made shells and knew it wasn't going to be pretty. A dozen or so $3 pizza screens would make the burned crust issue go away.

don?t tell me that pizza came from a hotel..

May 29, 2006
Yep, the $200/night, all you can drink and eat hotel...

I used to crank out personal pizzas when I worked at Cornell, several hundred a night. 5oz dough balls run through a dough sheeter to turn them into 8" circles; sauce, cheese and to-order toppings; then run through an impinger conveyor belt oven for 6 minutes. Same kind of oven Dominoes uses. Each one comes out perfect..

And then there was the "lasagne":

12336259_10207573554514461_1666237641_n.jpg

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yep, the $200/night, all you can drink and eat hotel...

I used to crank out personal pizzas when I worked at Cornell. 5oz dough balls run through a dough sheeter to turn them into 8" circles; sauce, cheese and to-order toppings; then run through an impinger conveyor belt oven for 6 minutes. Same kind of oven Dominoes uses. Each one comes out perfect..

And then there was the "lasagne":

12336259_10207573554514461_1666237641_n.jpg

if i made something that looked like that, i would be embarrassed to let someone see it, let alone try to sell it. and that from a 200 dollar per night hotel. a disgrace, if you ask me.