A question for expats

Status
Not open for further replies.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
and why do people in USA and Canada buy Lambos and Maseratis, other than to be seen in them? people make it seem like Dominicans invented the concept of showing off. when some sixty year old guy walks into a dealership and comes out with a Porsche Turbo, do you think it is to help him get in shape for LeMans?
Saw a black Lambo on a flatbed going up Palo Hincado in the CZ yesterday. There was a guy sitting in the driver's seat with the door half-open; might have been his chance to be seen in one...:0

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Actually, the Maserati is quite inconspicuous - if you remove the badges.

The 3 holes make it look like a Buick.
But the drive and handling are nowhere near.....

It's the 'under the radar' car...IMO

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
OK, so, by that logic, one of the guys in this thread who happens to drive a Porsche & a very beautiful, high-end white Mercedes Benz SUV that costs no less then $95,000 new, should what...get rid of his cars now? He's lived here for a long time. You know him. He knows you. Do you want to be the first one to tell him, "Get rid of your expensive cars" because you might be targeted!! He's probably been here 20-years or longer.

Maybe he will chime in when the time is right. Then, you can tell him what he should do with his expensive cars because of some Expat fears and paranoia running rampant.
I'm flummoxed about how you took my simple statement about how tugueres view a situation and extrapolate that I'm telling someone what to do with their high-end white Mercedes SUV that costs no less than $95,000, and that I am somehow suggesting that expat be paranoid about being a target.

I'm curious about the mental processes that created that leap of logic...

I won't speak for you but I do understand the difference between caution and awareness of one's environment that guides one's behavior for personal safety, and paranoia. The former applies anywhere on the planet, the latter is a psychologocal issue.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
and why do people in USA and Canada buy Lambos and Maseratis, other than to be seen in them? people make it seem like Dominicans invented the concept of showing off. when some sixty year old guy walks into a dealership and comes out with a Porsche Turbo, do you think it is to help him get in shape for LeMans?
Why do urban inhabitats slam their sled and bust them with spinners and hydraulics other than to be seen in them? You think they are getting in shape to be Superfly?

Dominicans hardly invented "look at me."

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'm flummoxed about how you took my simple statement about how tugueres view a situation and extrapolate that I'm telling someone what to do with their high-end white Mercedes SUV that costs no less than $95,000, and that I am somehow suggesting that expat be paranoid about being a target.

I'm curious about the mental processes that created that leap of logic...

I won't speak for you but I do understand the difference between caution and awareness of one's environment that guides one's behavior for personal safety, and paranoia. The former applies anywhere on the planet, the latter is a psychologocal issue.

Good point. Let me help you. You said this: "Tigueres have a double standard. A rich Dominican with a fancy car is to be feared. A gringo with a fancy car is a sucker."

Why would a Dominican be "Feared" and a Gringo be a "Sucker." Those are your words. Not mine. I pointed out that plenty of gringos--including people that you know--are driving Porsche's and high-end SUV's that cost are nearly $100,000. Do you see them as "Suckers?"

Do you think Dominicans see them as "Suckers?"

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Actually, the Maserati is quite inconspicuous - if you remove the badges.

The 3 holes make it look like a Buick.
But the drive and handling are nowhere near.....

It's the 'under the radar' car...IMO

The Maserati that you saw on the North Coast belongs to Juan--he owns a liquor company here in Puerto Plata. Super nice guy. His company makes lots of different liquors, including--vodka, gin, triple sec, tequila, and many liquors as well.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The Maserati that you saw on the North Coast belongs to Juan--he owns a liquor company here in Puerto Plata. Super nice guy. His company makes lots of different liquors, including--vodka, gin, triple sec, tequila, and many liquors as well.

there are more than one Maseratis floating around this area. i know the one you are talking about..however, a few other guys have them..

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
there are more than one Maseratis floating around this area. i know the one you are talking about..however, a few other guys have them..

True, but I'm only familiar with the black one here on the north coast. I've seen a pearl white one in SD. It looks good!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
True, but I'm only familiar with the black one here on the north coast. I've seen a pearl white one in SD. It looks good!

there are zillions of Maserati SUVs all over the place. i have seen quite a few on the highway, a couple at Espaillat Motors in Santiago, and one in Cabarete..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Cibao Dental Spa bldg has one parked all the time...

was very controversial that SUV when introduced....
The M community didn't like it much

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Here's the funny thing...there are expats right here on DR1 driving some very expensive cars & motorcycles. Maybe they'll get the energy to chime in and share their experiences of driving expensive cars around this island, and whether or not they have been targeted as a result.

I would Frank but my 2006 Chevy "HIGH END" Avalanche is still in the shop. When I have it back out I drive anyway on the island without any fear or trepidation! ...... How's that?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Start by reading my
'Robbed in the Zona' thread....

$400US in parts gone overnight

I think you're talking about side mirror? Right? They steal them all of the time. That's why i always park in one of the garages that has security. Casa Colonial hotel has a small parking garage that they shut at night. It's a safe place to park your car.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
2 sides and a hub cap = $150 x 2 + $100 .... from Indonesia

Former owner had 3 of 4 hub capos screwed in - why 3 not 4 ??
Beats me

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Why would a Dominican be "Feared" and a Gringo be a "Sucker."
Because tigueres know rich Dominicans have the influence and political connections necessary to cause mass havoc on a target at best, or get off scott-free if he uses deadly force on a tiguere. Like your rich relative in Bonao. Nobody, I mean nobody, will mess with him because they know the consequences.

frank said:
Do you think Dominicans see them as "Suckers?"
I specifically stated tigueres, not Dominicans. Think Venn Diagram and overlapping universes, as in "All tigueres are Dominicans, but not all Dominicans are tigueres."

I told the story years ago about our home invasion when I first moved to Jarabacoa, how we (really, I, as Alida just held a 5 iron ready to swing if the guy I was manhandling on the ground, the sinews of his arm and shoulder almost at the breaking pioint, accomplished a reversal of fortune) physically kept the perp at bay until the police arrived, 6 guys with guns drawn, and took them away. And how the guys were roughed up in jail, and how the family came begging us to not press charges because they were "good boys." And how the police chief brought the guys in and gave a Come to Jesus in our presence, pretty much stating "You broke into their home because they are rich foreigners who you thought were soft and didn't think would fight back. You are lucky he only hurt you, because you know if he had been a Dominican he would have killed you."

I took it that the local PN Chief knew the lay of the land and how tigueres think.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I just bought a Alfa Romeo Stelvio. Are there already Some driving around on the island?
We drove by the Fiat/Alfa dealer in StoDgo on Charles Sumner yesterday, and they were gone, all closed up and abandoned. Did they move or DOA?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I specifically stated tigueres, not Dominicans. Think Venn Diagram and overlapping universes, as in "All tigueres are Dominicans, but not all Dominicans are tigueres."

A few of these Venezuelans running around the island aint saints either.

When I first moved up to (Gurabo) Santiago from SD in 2015 my neighbor
across the hall was a PN officer. I'll refer to him as Mr. M ...

One morning around 7am I heard some arguing coming from his apartment
and found out shortly thereafter he'd been arrested / detained by the PN (his same unit / station)
for questioning about a series of robberies which had recently taken place in Gurabo.

Turns out some of the guys suspected of robbing a local ferretería were caught with Mr. M's
service weapon. Apparently Mr. M was renting his service weapon to some of the local
tigueres and got caught. That was back in May or June of 2015...

Mr M is still a (PN) police officer.

Feb 7, 2007
The world over - it's the same

Big garage -- small bank account....

Not our Rico Doms.... they got talent !!!...DEPTH

Most of these bozos spend it all on the flash

there's a list

All flash - no cash
Big hat - no cattle
and many more............

Car Ikea owner was driving ...

xran1kt540wpg5kde6h9.jpg

some people just don't give a s*** about what they drive... and this guy never flew anything but economy and insisted Ikea executives do the same. Now that he's dead I am sure those execs are finally enjoying some wine and lie flat beds on their long distance flights.

again... DR ... se vive de apariencia.

Feb 7, 2007
Because tigueres know rich Dominicans have the influence and political connections necessary to cause mass havoc on a target at best, or get off scott-free if he uses deadly force on a tiguere. Like your rich relative in Bonao. Nobody, I mean nobody, will mess with him because they know the consequences.

I told the story years ago about our home invasion when I first moved to Jarabacoa, how we (really, I, as Alida just held a 5 iron ready to swing if the guy I was manhandling on the ground, the sinews of his arm and shoulder almost at the breaking pioint, accomplished a reversal of fortune) physically kept the perp at bay until the police arrived, 6 guys with guns drawn, and took them away. And how the guys were roughed up in jail, and how the family came begging us to not press charges because they were "good boys." And how the police chief brought the guys in and gave a Come to Jesus in our presence, pretty much stating "You broke into their home because they are rich foreigners who you thought were soft and didn't think would fight back. You are lucky he only hurt you, because you know if he had been a Dominican he would have killed you."

I took it that the local PN Chief knew the lay of the land and how tigueres think.

My friend spent quite some time as Comandante in Jarabacoa years back. Maybe he was the PN who gave the thief this sermon ...?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Car Ikea owner was driving ...

xran1kt540wpg5kde6h9.jpg

some people just don't give a s*** about what they drive... and this guy never flew anything but economy and insisted Ikea executives do the same. Now that he's dead I am sure those execs are finally enjoying some wine and lie flat beds on their long distance flights.

again... DR ... se vive de apariencia.

The owner of IKEA, who was one of the top 10 richest in the world, had a lot of really strong ethics. Surely I can't be the only one on here who has a problem with the morality of driving a massively expensive "look how rich I am" car around when you are driving by so many hungry kids? And yes it is different for gringos. We have come from rich countries with excellent education and the chance to travel and live pretty much anywhere we want. Even the richest Dominicans have a tough time getting visas and even the best schools here are pretty awful compared to schools in the US or Europe. And, as far as most Dominicans are concerned, we are white and we come from another world, a much nicer world that they aren't allowed into.

The guy who gets off the plane and flashes his money won't be respected or admired, he'll just be seen as a sucker who needs to be exploited. The Dominican who has worked his way up the ladder and has finally amassed enough for the inicial on a Lambo and who has 800 cousins who run every show in town will be respected because he is achieving what everyone else wants to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.