A serious warning to all of you

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Oh Dear! May the heavens preserve us. Full moon was a few days ago.
In this thread it seems de rigour to name 'my-infection'. Well, you know .. my infection is in the brain ... it is a very rare condition. The condition is called .. doesnotfallforcrappola.com ;)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Oh Dear! May the heavens preserve us. Full moon was a few days ago.
In this thread it seems de rigour to name 'my-infection'. Well, you know .. my infection is in the brain ... it is a very rare condition. The condition is called .. doesnotfallforcrappola.com ;)
But Chris, ........... how can this BE???
After the first lot of antibiotics did not work on her son (sasdomrep???) she went & bought a SECOND box of the same antibiotics hoping that THEY would work. Now she has TWO boxes (or plastic bottles) she can show us that are not marked correctly & therefore must be fakes! Can she get those to someone who can check them out? If there is just one tablet still available & she gets it to me, I will gladly take it to the laboratory I know here in Puerto Plata & get this checked out for authenticity (or otherwise)!

I ALWAYS check any medications I buy - even from farmacias I have used for years & where the owners/chemists are now friends. If I can see one of those boxes/plastic bottles, I will go check their shelves to ensure they throw away the fakes!! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
that the most common bacterial cause of sore throat is caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae. Ciprofloxacin has a VERY POOR Streptococcus pneumoniae coverage.............

just a thought..................but a doctor's opinion would be appreciated!

Not a doctor but I do know that cipro is a very strong antibiotic. Not one which I personally would take for a throat infection (I would favour palliatives & living through it). I would only take cipro if prescribed by a doctor & even then it would have to be one of the few I trust. Cipro IS good for anthrax exposure as I'm sure everyone remembers after 9/11. But it can result in hallucinations for some people. I'm not being funny - read this:
What You Should Know About Cipro | Consumer Health Information Corporation

There have been reports in the DR papers about contaminated/false/time expired medications for as long as I've been reading them - about 10 years. It goes along with the other 'false' things here which we all know about. Normal vigilance has always & will always apply - nothing new about that & no need for anyone to worry unduly.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Ladybird, check out this plant in the environment forum:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/environment/74874-can-anyone-identify-plant-20.html

The leaf juice can help with staphylococcus and E. coli. It also has anti-baterial, anti-virus and anti-fungal properties. Can have sedative uses as well and kill off parasites in both humans and animals.
This is a very "healing" plant with much more uses than described here.

Perhaps this plant could have helped you and your son get rid of whatever it was that you had??

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Error...this plant should not be given to land grazing animals.
My laziness in not previewing the above post and the time ran out to edit it.

castleburger

Sep 4, 2006
Indeed

After gettingthe amiba for perhaps the 30th time since ive been here, i went to the pharmacy near the texaco in sosua. Upon entering, i asked in spanish forthe medicaion for this ailment. The pharmasist asked for the name of the pills. I couldnt remember, and told thisto her. At this point she grabbed 6 pills from the shelf. Other times it was just 2 pills i took. The cshier seemed distracted when i was paying avoiding my question on dosage and when t take these pills, waiting forthe parmasist to answer. I just tookthis as random rudenes. However, after 3 days of this medication, there is no change whatsoever in my condition. After reading this thread i checked the packaging and tho numbers seem to have been embossed on the end, they are unreadable. With just a vague company name on the foil. "pharmacia" after checking on the net the packaging is allwrong for this company and medication. The pharmasist asking me first for the name of the medication is suspect. The cashier's nervousness is suspect. I now beleive they are fully aware they are selling bogus drugs and am searching for who to contact that controls this in the dr. Any help would be apreciated. My friend fred buys all his meds in ths country, heart meds, blood pressure, and many more. He has just left to miami to see his doctor as he is feeling very bad lately. My assumption is he has also bought some of these bogus pills and therein not actually getting his medication daily.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The pharmacy at Texaco has many inexperienced workers. You will be much better off in the two Pharmacies in Charamicos. One is in town, and other on the road just past Caribe Tours on your right heading towards PP. These places have real pharmacists working that will attend to your needs. At a cheaper price I may add.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
My experience............

.......in trying to report a "bogus" drug was very useless.........

About 2 years ago I wanted to get an injection for an ear infection that is taken one time called "ceftriaxone" which is generic for the brand name "Rocephin".......... I had bought 3 of them and have used this drug for many years........

This is a powder in a vial/bottle that you inject with water/lidocaine etc and will turn yellow and smells like a "wet cat".............

The drug is not cheap and can run anywhere from $100 peso per bottle to $500. peso depending on the brand........

The drug didn't turn yellow and didn't smell..............

I purchased it from one of the larger pharmacies on the main road in Puerto Plata where I have done business for many years.........and though even though the owner said he would give me the money back, I was more concerned with reporting it, since this med is also used for severe conditions and if someone that really needed it, it could be a problem......

I went to the Health department in Puerto Plata near the Malecon and was told that the director (from Santo Domingo) is only there on certain days and certain times............which they can only estimate.........

I went back and forth (with the vials) probably 4 times before I finally caught the "doctor/director of health" and his response was: " If nobody died it is not important."..................THE END............

Reactions: AnnaC

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
.......in trying to report a "bogus" drug was very useless.........

About 2 years ago I wanted to get an injection for an ear infection that is taken one time called "ceftriaxone" which is generic for the brand name "Rocephin".......... I had bought 3 of them and have used this drug for many years........

This is a powder in a vial/bottle that you inject with water/lidocaine etc and will turn yellow and smells like a "wet cat".............

The drug is not cheap and can run anywhere from $100 peso per bottle to $500. peso depending on the brand........

I recently bought 2 x 1 gram injectables of Ceftriaxona as antibacterial prophylaxis during dental implant surgery, to be administered intra-muscularly with lidocaine by my doctor. Current price is RD$390 a shot. Doctor commented at the time that the brand I had chosen was a good one so I'll mention it here for the benefit of others - Ethical Pharmaceutical ;). No side effects & it was the real stuff.

Sorry to hear of your frustrating experience with reporting the issue, POP Bad Boy. Calling in to a local radio or TV show first can often engender more interest than going straight to the Government department concerned.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I'm curious to know how many of the residents in the DR just go out and buy antibiotics when they get a "bug". How do you know it's not a viral infection? And if it's bacterial, how would you know which antibiotic to purchase, if you don't get a culture done by a lab? That's why we have bacteria resistant to antibiotics...

You guys amaze me! Someone mentioned a bruja...only in the Caribbean! LOL
I'm still wondering about that lady with the body infestation of ants... I wonder if Western medicine cured her or did she get a trabajo done?

Last edited:

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I recently bought 2 x 1 gram injectables of Ceftriaxona as antibacterial prophylaxis during dental implant surgery, to be administered intra-muscularly with lidocaine by my doctor. Current price is RD$390 a shot. Doctor commented at the time that the brand I had chosen was a good one so I'll mention it here for the benefit of others - Ethical Pharmaceutical ;). No side effects & it was the real stuff.

Sorry to hear of your frustrating experience with reporting the issue, POP Bad Boy. Calling in to a local radio or TV show first can often engender more interest than going straight to the Government department concerned.

OMG, I hope you're okay and in good hands. Is this standard procedure with implants, my daughter took them after.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
OMG, I hope you're okay and in good hands. Is this standard procedure with implants, my daughter took them after.

No it isn't standard proceedure. 99% of the population do what your daughter did. I'm the 1% awkward soul who cannot take antibiotics via the stomach without it causing colon issues, so I use injectables on the very rare occasions when I deem antibiotics necessary. Thank you I'm in extremely good hands ( my brain & my doc ;) ) - the point of the post was to let people know, following on POP Bad Boys experience, of a brand of this type of antibiotic which is safe.

And if it's bacterial, how would you know which antibiotic to purchase, if you don't get a culture done by a lab?

In my case I consulted my doctor as to the appropriate antibiotic. We now have one whom I respect & trust so I take his advice. That wasn't the case when we first moved here years ago so my Merck manual and a Mims were indispensable.