A Stain on the D.R. ?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello All,

I hope you are all safe and well. Wow! What a beautiful new UI on the forum. I haven't been around for a while . . .

I am having some bookcases made of unfinished pine. After watching a bunch of YouTube video on stains and techniques, I go to three hardware stores with large paint sections, e.g. Ferreteria Cuesta on Febrero 27. And zip! Tintes no hay. Nothing in sight. Now I'm thinking that stains may not even exist in this country and that I might have to pay RD$275.00 per pound ordering from the U.S. via Vimenpaq.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Stains are readily available here. I have a mahogany stain bought last year in Bellon, where they have many different varieties. . I suspect you just have gone to the wrong stores. Ask at any Ebanistas and they will tell you where to get stain.

Reactions: CristoRey

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
Hello All,

I hope you are all safe and well. Wow! What a beautiful new UI on the forum. I haven't been around for a while . . .

I am having some bookcases made of unfinished pine. After watching a bunch of YouTube video on stains and techniques, I go to three hardware stores with large paint sections, e.g. Ferreteria Cuesta on Febrero 27. And zip! Tintes no hay. Nothing in sight. Now I'm thinking that stains may not even exist in this country and that I might have to pay RD$275.00 per pound ordering from the U.S. via Vimenpaq.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Go to Villa Consuelo arround Av. Duarte, there are many Ferreterias were the Ebanistas ( Carpenter) buy there wood and paints. One of them is Ferreteria Beato on street Maximo Grullon #61

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Go to Villa Consuelo arround Av. Duarte, there are many Ferreterias were the Ebanistas ( Carpenter) buy there wood and paints. One of them is Ferreteria Beato on street Maximo Grullon #61
What town?

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Try used motor oil. Worked on my old fence but took a long time to dry.
(just kidding)

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
For protecting of termites better used a product called carbosota, you can buy it in every ferreteria. Later you apply stain, here it's called barniz.
All this stuff you can buy in Almacenes Unidos on Av. Kennedy too.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Try used motor oil. Worked on my old fence but took a long time to dry.
(just kidding)
I'm not sure what part you are "just kidding" about, but when I had a carport made from wood and cana, my watchman recommended that I paint the wood poles with used motor oil to keep the termites at bay. It has worked for many years incredibly well.

• Love
Reactions: Sailor51

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I'm not sure what part you are "just kidding" about, but when I had a carport made from wood and cana, my watchman recommended that I paint the wood poles with used motor oil to keep the termites at bay. It has worked for many years incredibly well.
Well he was talking about furniture right? Not sure I'd use it indoors.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I am quite an expert in staining wood having had to choose colours for a whole lot of wood in the last few weeks. The answer is that in DR you don't use pre-mixed spray, instead they mix oil paints with Thinner and use it to stain. You can choose how diluted the stain is, so how strong the colour is. Most hardware stores sell the oil paints (ask for Olio) but it's basically just large tubes of artists oil paints made by Winsor and Newton. If you go to a shop called CCC which is a stationery shop, they sell the full range of Winsor oil colours. They have three or four branches in the city including Agora Mall and in Tiradentes. They definitely have the widest range of colours. In Villa Consuelo you will also find quite a good selection in Beato. If you can't find the colour you want in CCC, then best to import the tube via Amazon.com.

Best way to apply the stain is using a spray gun called a pistola, which cost about RD$ 1000 a day to hire but most carpenters have one.

Reactions: bob saunders

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Have you thoughjt about using Linseed oil? its used on things like gunstocks to furniture..learned about in high school shop class....just put a coat on my outdoor wood furniture.. protects from the sun and rain and gives the wood a beautiful finish.........