A typical Dominican Christmas Dinner

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I'm surprised they don't eat turrones in nochebuena, for dessert, over there, as we Cubans do.

Well, Marry Christmass to everyone! It's been a long time since I last visited these pages.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
ahhhh grace!!

You're right CB, at least in my husband's family. Everything is La Noche Buena. Christmas Day is an also-ran.

I always host Christmas Eve at my home with roast pernil and all the Dominican accompaniments. Christmas Day we become Americans [with a decidedly Italian influence]

I'll be in SD for New Year's Eve, they're roasting a pig for the family party [Elizabeth, are you coming? There will be lots of good food :squareeye]

AE

how can i turn you down??????????

i would be delighted to come!!

hugs

e

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Buddy, they're pasteles en hoja. the masa is with Yuca instead!!! Unless you wrap the bolitas in Plantain leaves and flatten them in to a rectangle shape.

doahh!!!!!!!!!

I know you are in funny mode, but they are made in a extremely different way, the Bollitos de Yuca are fried, Pasteles are not.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I'm surprised they don't eat turrones in nochebuena, for dessert, over there, as we Cubans do.

Well, Marry Christmass to everyone! It's been a long time since I last visited these pages.

Yes we do, I forgot to add it to the list. But it is only eaten in medium class to rich houses.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

In my Dominican in-law's houses they do, they're my husband's favorite. Our first Christmas together we went to my parents and he flipped when he saw them - Italians love them too, they call them torrone.

AE

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

Really good to see you here again, Juancarlos! In my experience Dominicans do eat turrones at Christmas; not as much as in Spain but the supermarkets definitely bring them in time for the festive season and most nice gift baskets will include a bar of turr?n.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
how can i turn you down??????????

i would be delighted to come!!

hugs

e

Great! My husband asked me this morning if I had invited you. I'll call you when we get to SD and will pick you up on the 31st!

Does anyone know if Avis in DR charges for an extra driver if it's the spouse? We've never used them before - National always wanted about $10 more a day if I wanted to be on the rental agreement.

AE

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
ahhh this the confusion:

pasteles= plantain w meat inside, usually wrapped in banana leaves and rectangular shaped.

pastelitos= fried goodies with meat, cheese or sweet stuff inside, made of thin flour sheets and half moon shaped.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We went to a company Christmas party last night. The food was peanuts and raisins on the tables (along with Scotch, rum and wine), green salad heavy on the cabbage, pasta salad, potato(e) salad, moro, and yummy roast pork. The servers came to the tables with platters of those sugar-coated gummy fruit slices, apple slices and grapes.