A warning for ex pats with low budgets

HOLY **** your poor little girl! I have been to a few public hospitals with our barrio peeps when they get injured, give birth etc and they did not look that bad! AHHH
What is with them casting up way beyond the whole area?! They did this with my dog bite at CMC, the bandaged my whole arm so I couldn't bend it! SO ODD!
I hope she gets better quickly and has no infections!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What is with them casting up way beyond the whole area?! They did this with my dog bite at CMC, the bandaged my whole arm so I couldn't bend it! SO ODD!

this is done to "disable" the next joint so that you do not move the limb and cause further damage to the wound or the stitching. pretty normal procedure, especially for kids who tend to be fidgety. with wounds it is also done to isolate the area better. we learnt that in civil defense classes at school. and how to use gas masks. and throw grenades. and how to behave in a case of a nuclear attack. useful stuff :)

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Come on peeps.....Low budget!

An annual insurance policy with ARS Palic with NO LIMIT will set you back 20,000 pesos. That's 462 US dollars, 339 euros or 274 pounds for the WHOLE YEAR!

ARS Palic is accepted in all major clinics that provide pretty good cover. And in the case of an emergency such as this poor girl, you are covered 100%

How poor do you have to be to not be able to afford that?

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I just signed up for the Humano ARS Max Plan, $150 a month for four people. My only question is, when I need it, will it be worth a damn?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
"No Limit"????
I gotta see THAT!
Most plans are limited to 1 to1.5 million pesos per year.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

got a pencil?

go to ARS Palic and look at their Planes Ejecutivo.... Especial, Premium and Prestige

sometimes I think your body is in the DR but ..............

every plan under $100/pp a month

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
do you think they overdosed Frank's daughter.... as I was in my youth ??

swelling is both side effect and overdose symptom. but diclofenac usually comes in pills of 50 mg. pediatric dose is 25 mg but for her size and age she could receive max dose of 200 mg a day or so. so if it was administered orally it is most likely adverse effect. the injectable version is 75 mg (3 ml) so again, probably side effect rather than overdose.

in any case, i would lay off this medicine for the future use, frank.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I just signed up for the Humano ARS Max Plan, $150 a month for four people. My only question is, when I need it, will it be worth a damn?

From what I've heard Humano is very good.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Come on peeps.....Low budget!

An annual insurance policy with ARS Palic with NO LIMIT will set you back 20,000 pesos. That's 462 US dollars, 339 euros or 274 pounds for the WHOLE YEAR!

ARS Palic is accepted in all major clinics that provide pretty good cover. And in the case of an emergency such as this poor girl, you are covered 100%

How poor do you have to be to not be able to afford that?

Simple. When you consider that some expats or foreigners make the foolish
mistake of living there on a shoe string budget. Some are living on $800,
$700 or $500 dollars a month social security pay checks. I know of some
Dominicans who have retired to the DR on just those amounts. And remember
that they also have families to support so many cannot afford to have insurance
and instead opt or have no choice but to go to public hospitals.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
swelling is both side effect and overdose symptom. but diclofenac usually comes in pills of 50 mg. pediatric dose is 25 mg but for her size and age she could receive max dose of 200 mg a day or so. so if it was administered orally it is most likely adverse effect. the injectable version is 75 mg (3 ml) so again, probably side effect rather than overdose.

agreed lay of

dv8, would the reaction forma pill (oral) be as swift as an injection?

the little girl appeared to react quickly if that pic was from the hospital

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
humano is a good insurance. details of plan max can be found here: ARS Humano

Cool, thanks. I've seen that. One question I have is, if I show up to an emergency room with the Humano insurance will I just be able to show them the card and get treated, or will there still be a copay or 'payment' that has to be paid first?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

I've been taking diclofenac for several years now 75 mg for arthritis (inflammation)
and for me it has worked but maybe for children it is not advisable.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Spicey try Naproxen... I use that.... no stomach problems, nada...

might be easier on you... OTC in RD, Prescription in the US

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Cool, thanks. I've seen that. One question I have is, if I show up to an emergency room with the Humano insurance will I just be able to show them the card and get treated, or will there still be a copay or 'payment' that has to be paid first?

emergency is a strange thing. it depends what is the problem, so to speak. say you arrive with a cut on the leg. you will be stitched up and given some meds (to treat pain and infection). this should be with no co-pay, 100% covered. but if you come in and there is a possibility you may have a broken bone it may be treated as emergency for a cast (100% covered) and a consulta for the fact the orthopedist saw you to determine your condition (you will need to pay the difference).

i am not sure i explained myself well... normally i go to the clinic for migraines. all i get is IV and a shot of pain meds. it is always covered 100%. but few weeks ago i went to the emergency because i was feeling really bad, vomiting and generally crap. i was seen by a regular doctor who run a quick check. long behold i was charged 400 pesos "for a consulta". i also got a shot in the ass but that was gratis. ha ha ha. ha. :devious:

so i would be prepared to pay, just in case.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I've been taking diclofenac for several years now 75 mg for arthritis (inflammation)
and for me it has worked but maybe for children it is not advisable.

diclofenac gave me a major cause of stomach pain and discomfort that lasted for 5 days. nasty stuff. no adverse effect upon injection but damn, it hurts to have it pumped into the vein :(

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
agreed lay of

dv8, would the reaction forma pill (oral) be as swift as an injection?

the little girl appeared to react quickly if that pic was from the hospital

They gave it to her before I arrived and it was an injection.
I knew that Diclofenac was bad for her, had told the mother that also before but she was more interested in praying at the hospital :ermm:
As soon as I saw just a little bubble under her eye I knew what was happening and called the doctor right away, first she didn't pay me any attention but when I asked what they gave her I explained her about my girl's condition.
This happened in Andres where we went to the clinic first.