Abinader announces RD$1 billion for coffee production

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019

President Luis Abinader has announced a RD$1 billion program to promote coffee growing, reduce poverty in rural areas, and improve Dominican coffee’s overall quality. Many people do not know that the coffee rust wiped out almost 100% of Dominican coffee trees. Coffee farms that weathered the blight were the exception, not the rule.

The truth is that for the past four or five years, the Dominican Republic has been a major coffee importer and brands such as Café Santo Domingo still market a few brands of select Dominican coffee beans, but most coffee sold locally is imported as coffee trees grow back.

The nationwide replanting program, crop husbandry and better crop management received a major boost this past weekend. At the ceremonies marking the beginning of the year’s coffee harvest, President Abinader announced a new support program and said it would funnel RD$1...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Interesting no comments as of yet.
Do community members not like their café/coffee?

• Haha
Reactions: tht

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Interesting no comments as of yet.
Do community members not like their café/coffee?
We had many many threads about coffee when the rust problems began several years ago. Cobraboy’s wife’s family grows coffee in jarabacoa area, some of the best coffee I’ve had. Many of us bought a lot of it from him, I remember Criss Colon was a big fan, and JDJones too, I think. We only buy beans, so he’d have 50 pounds of it roasted for us. We were saddened when it was no longer available. I believe this year they had a small harvest for the first time in several years, but we left the country due to Covid and never got any.

CristoRey

Double soy latte-sugar free syrup w/ 1% milk
Apr 1, 2014
This is fantastic news.
I hope it provides the much
needed boost these producers
have spent the last few years
lobbying for.

Reactions: Caonabo

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
We had many many threads about coffee when the rust problems began several years ago. Cobraboy’s wife’s family grows coffee in jarabacoa area, some of the best coffee I’ve had. Many of us bought a lot of it from him, I remember Criss Colon was a big fan, and JDJones too, I think. We only buy beans, so he’d have 50 pounds of it roasted for us. We were saddened when it was no longer available. I believe this year they had a small harvest for the first time in several years, but we left the country due to Covid and never got any.

Please make an announcement when it starts up again. I would love to try some. I would have no problem hiking (not literally) up to Jarabacoa to buy.

CristoRey

Double soy latte-sugar free syrup w/ 1% milk
Apr 1, 2014
Haven't seen CB on here in a while.
Hope he's doing well.