Abinader having fun in NYC

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
New York Post reports that Abinader threw a last-minute party and invited Bill Clinton, seems he was splashing the cash. Evidently the Dominican government is denying that Abinader paid for this and said it was a wealthy businessman, and Abinader was just another invited guest.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I think they said it was an event for the “Marca Pais”. They should at least be transparent about it. I don’t think it’s right for a leader of a country to throw such a party with so many problems right now. If it was paid for by others then who. The DR is not exactly a rich country although sometimes it pretends to be next to Haiti.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I think they said it was an event for the “Marca Pais”. They should at least be transparent about it. I don’t think it’s right for a leader of a country to throw such a party with so many problems right now. If it was paid for by others then who. The DR is not exactly a rich country although sometimes it pretends to be next to Haiti.
D.R. may not be rich but Luis is, although I agree that pulling a Marie Antoinette is not a good look. I'm more than a little disappointed to see him getting cozy with the savior of Haiti, although I guess it's all part of the game. Do you think he tipped Bill about Sosua? LOL!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That was not the Marca País event, but after that. It was a private party.

In either case, if the Dominican government would had paid for that, that's chump change to the current government budget of around US$12 billion.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Paid by a businessman according to DT:

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
That was not the Marca País event, but after that. It was a private party.

In either case, if the Dominican government would had paid for that, that's chump change to the current government budget of around US$12 billion.
Not really Nals. A private party should not be paid by the government even if it is chump change. But aparently it was an official Marca Pais event with a private party afterwards paid by a business man.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
D.R. may not be rich but Luis is, although I agree that pulling a Marie Antoinette is not a good look. I'm more than a little disappointed to see him getting cozy with the savior of Haiti, although I guess it's all part of the game. Do you think he tipped Bill about Sosua? LOL!
The savor of Haiti right. It should be investigated what happened to all those funds.

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Bill already knows about Sosua....Bill signed him up as a board member of the Clinton Foundation, and gave him a copy of the foundations book " How to get rich quick on Haitian donations "..............

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Not really Nals. A private party should not be paid by the government even if it is chump change. But aparently it was an official Marca Pais event with a private party afterwards paid by a business man.
If it's a party by the president and first lady it should be paid by the government along with his restaurant/delivery food consumption, parking or traffic violation tickets, gasoline of the vehicles, airplane tickets, hotel room stays, etc. The president and the first family should never pay for anything out of pocket during his tenure.This one was not a president's party, so the bill went to someone else.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
If it's a party by the president and first lady it should be paid by the government along with his restaurant/delivery food consumption, parking or traffic violation tickets, gasoline of the vehicles, airplane tickets, hotel room stays, etc. The president and the first family should never pay for anything out of pocket during his tenure.This one was not a president's party, so the bill went to someone else.
I thougt you said it was his private party or rather you said even if it was the government should pay. But I apologize then if it wasn't.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I think it's a nice reminder to Abinader that a lot of eyes will be watching any man who goes around telling the world how they are so anti corruption and that every cent of government funds must be spent correctly. He has plenty of enemies, after dismantling drugs gangs and arresting so many people, there are plenty who hate him I should imagine. And if he starts doing anything which raises questions about his integrity, expect a big scandal.

If Leonel Fernandez had hosted this party and spent $1M on the event it wouldn't have been reported because everyone knows he's as corrupt as can be. But Mr Abinader has set himself high up on a pedestal now.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If it had anything to do with promoting the country..... it's a valid expense..... like it or not

Sometimes a bit of $$ advertising is needed to fix a 'slump' in sales

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Look no masks!!!
Gobierno-desmiente-presidente-Abinader-ofreciera-fiesta-en-Nueva-York.jpg

• Wow

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
If it had anything to do with promoting the country..... it's a valid expense..... like it or not

Sometimes a bit of $$ advertising is needed to fix a 'slump' in sales

Agreed. The problem is that he has now emphatically denied that the government paid for it, even though a lot of people think they did. If he had said "look, we're in New York, it's important to entertain people properly, all governments do this" it wouldn't have been a story.

Reactions: aarhus and thompstr

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I think it's a nice reminder to Abinader that a lot of eyes will be watching any man who goes around telling the world how they are so anti corruption and that every cent of government funds must be spent correctly. He has plenty of enemies, after dismantling drugs gangs and arresting so many people, there are plenty who hate him I should imagine. And if he starts doing anything which raises questions about his integrity, expect a big scandal.

If Leonel Fernandez had hosted this party and spent $1M on the event it wouldn't have been reported because everyone knows he's as corrupt as can be. But Mr Abinader has set himself high up on a pedestal now.
Yes you are very right about Leonel F. corrupt....And Mr. Abinader is on a high , high pedestal......but then thats a long way to fall..........