Abinader sees DR entering the microchip world

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
What are the criteria for "...the best design/art school in the Caribbean..."?
Chavon is the "Harvard of Design (fashion, graphic, motion, film, arts)" in the Caribbean. Every kid who studies advertising, marketing or arts wants to study there but admissions are kinda hard. If you graduate, you get a scholarship to study at Parsons New York.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What are the criteria for "...the best design/art school in the Caribbean..."?
The amount of artists they graduate and later become very successful/work for some of the most well known clothing labels, etc. That school in particular was founded by Charles Bluhdorn (who was a naturalized American and had a house in Ridgefield, Connecticut; creator of other things such as Casa de Campo, Altos de Chávon, the first private free trade zone in the country, etc). It was from his orders that the school should alsl include an X number of Dominican students from poor backgrounds to avoid the school would only be for those of a privilege background. Quite a few Dominican artists/designers that made it big were able to do that precisely due to the education they got at Chavón Escuela de Diseños. Otherwise it would had been very unlikely that was going to be the case.

Cándido Bidó was one of Chavón Escuela de Diseño students and to this day is considered to be one of the best Dominican painters. There us even an art museum of his work in Bonao. Was that possible if he didn’t went to Chavón? Maybe but highly unlikely.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chavon is the "Harvard of Design (fashion, graphic, motion, film, arts)" in the Caribbean. Every kid who studies advertising, marketing or arts wants to study there but admissions are kinda hard. If you graduate, you get a scholarship to study at Parsons New York.
Other of the big Dominican business people should consider creating another similar school with similar or the same standards. I don’t see why such schools couldn’t be in Santiago or even Punta Cana. Chavón has a limited size (despite having 2 campuses), so they have to be selective given their demand. There should be a couple more top designing/art schools in the DR because the amount of people that want to be a student in a top Dominican design/art school is much greater than the space that exist to accommodate most of them. Then you add that Chavón has to dedicate a certain amount to those from disadvantaged backgrounds and there is even less space for the rest than thought.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Other of the big Dominican business people should consider creating another similar school with similar or the same standards. I don’t see why such schools couldn’t be in Santiago or even Punta Cana. Chavón has a limited size (despite having 2 campuses), so they have to be selective given their demand. There should be a couple more top designing/art schools in the DR because the amount of people that want to be a student in a top Dominican design/art school is much greater than the space that exist to accommodate most of them. Then you add that Chavón has to dedicate a certain amount to those from disadvantaged backgrounds and there is even less space for the rest than thought.
That's already there: ITLA, SDQ Training Center, La Academia, ITSC and many more.
A similar concept to Chavon is Aman Hotels in Río San Juan, they have an academy there for kids and future artists.

MoJoInDR

Banned
Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
I understand... But what makes it "...the best..." art school in the Caribbean was my question.

In Cuba there is the Instituto Superior de Arte... In Jamaica, there is the Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts, both of which have produced world-renowned artists.

Why is Chavon superior to either?

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
The amount of artists they graduate and later become very successful/work for some of the most well known clothing labels, etc. That school in particular was founded by Charles Bluhdorn (who was a naturalized American and had a house in Ridgefield, Connecticut; creator of other things such as Casa de Campo, Altos de Chávon, the first private free trade zone in the country, etc). It was from his orders that the school should alsl include an X number of Dominican students from poor backgrounds to avoid the school would only be for those of a privilege background. Quite a few Dominican artists/designers that made it big were able to do that precisely due to the education they got at Chavón Escuela de Diseños. Otherwise it would had been very unlikely that was going to be the case.

Cándido Bidó was one of Chavón Escuela de Diseño students and to this day is considered to be one of the best Dominican painters. There us even an art museum of his work in Bonao. Was that possible if he didn’t went to Chavón? Maybe but highly unlikely.

I understand... But what makes it "...the best..." art school in the Caribbean was my question.

In Cuba there is the Instituto Superior de Arte... In Jamaica, there is the Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts, both of which have produced world-renowned artists.

I think @NALs responded to you in this matter.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
You can’t teach creativity and talent, one has to have it. Only thing art schools can provide is an environment that supports individual development. A “well known” art school is not known for its education but rather for ex-students that made it mostly on their own talent.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

None of them have a relationship with one of the world’s best. It’s like asking why Tortuga Bay is one of the top resorts and has been visited (and continue to be visit) by very high profile people, ex-US presidents, royalties of several European countries, etc? Well, there is chance which highly unlikely and then there is that the founder had personal contacts to several high profile people. Take for example Oscar de la Renta who was one of the main investors in Punta Cana. He personally invited many high profile people from the USA and Europe to visit Punta Cana, even Hollywood stars he knew personally.

Chavón has a relationship with Parsons not simply because. The founder was friends with many high profile people and had the contacts to high profile institutions. I think he even had the personal number to the White House, in fact once he and president Nixon had a chat.

MoJoInDR

Banned
Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
None of them have a relationship with one of the world’s best. It’s like asking why Tortuga Bay is one of the top resorts and has been visited (and continue to be visit) by very high profile people, ex-US presidents, royalties of several European countries, etc? Well, there is chance which highly unlikely and then there is that the founder had personal contacts to several high profile people. Take for example Oscar de la Renta who was one of the main investors in Punta Cana. He personally invited many high profile people from the USA and Europe to visit Punta Cana, even Hollywood stars he knew personally.

Chavón has a relationship with Parsons not simply because. The founder was friends with many high profile people and had the contacts to high profile institutions. I think he even had the personal number to the White House, in fact once he and president Nixon had a chat.
You're kidding, right... Having "...a relationship..." with Parsons doesn't make an art school in the DR "...the best..." in the Caribbean.

Many artists who graduate from Edna Manley have gone on to complete further schooling in highly-rated art schools in other countries.

My family owned a house in a quiet seaside community on Jamaica's north coast. About a mile or so away, and on the coast, was a house owned by the Rolling Stones. They liked it because it was off the beaten track so they could come and hang out without getting noticed. And Ralph Lauren kind of adopted the Round Hill resort in Montego Bay as his preferred vacation spot... Again, because it gave him privacy.

Different people have different lifestyles.

Having an established relationship with a school like Parsons is great for any outstanding students, but not for the less talented, as Parsons has their own standards to upkeep.

Thing is... If you are an outstanding student at any school you can probably get accepted into a school like Parsons... Or the Royal College of Art (London), Cooper Union (NYC, very hard though), Politecnico di Milano (Milan), and on and on.

There are excellent art schools all over the world... And some are especially known for specific areas of art.

Parsons is a great art school, but not among the best in certain specific fields.

For instance, right here in Austin, Texas, is the University of Texas with its advertising school that is considered one of the best in this field.

So... Again... What makes Chavon "...the best..." art school in the Caribbean?

In the DR... Sure... But the Caribbean... Tell me why?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You're kidding, right... Having "...a relationship..." with Parsons doesn't make an art school in the DR "...the best..." in the Caribbean.

Many artists who graduate from Edna Manley have gone on to complete further schooling in highly-rated art schools in other countries.

My family owned a house in a quiet seaside community on Jamaica's north coast. About a mile or so away, and on the coast, was a house owned by the Rolling Stones. They liked it because it was off the beaten track so they could come and hang out without getting noticed. And Ralph Lauren kind of adopted the Round Hill resort in Montego Bay as his preferred vacation spot... Again, because it gave him privacy.

Different people have different lifestyles.

Having an established relationship with a school like Parsons is great for any outstanding students, but not for the less talented, as Parsons has their own standards to upkeep.

Thing is... If you are an outstanding student at any school you can probably get accepted into a school like Parsons... Or the Royal College of Art (London), Cooper Union (NYC, very hard though), Politecnico di Milano (Milan), and on and on.

There are excellent art schools all over the world... And some are especially known for specific areas of art.

Parsons is a great art school, but not among the best in certain specific fields.

For instance, right here in Austin, Texas, is the University of Texas with its advertising school that is considered one of the best in this field.

So... Again... What makes Chavon "...the best..." art school in the Caribbean?

In the DR... Sure... But the Caribbean... Tell me why?
You can say whatever you want, but it’s the best design school in the Caribbean and among the best 10 in the world. Plus, no one from the top schools visit any other design school in the Caribbean except Chavón to continue their studies for a semester.

There is basically nothing you can say to “undo that” or actually minimize it. Maybe in your mind you’ll repeat “it isn’t the best, it isn’t the best” and it’s simply that, something that exist in your mind.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
You can say whatever you want, but it’s the best design school in the Caribbean and among the best 10 in the world. Plus, no one from the top schools visit any other design school in the Caribbean except Chavón to continue their studies for a semester.

There is basically nothing you can say to “undo that” or actually minimize it. Maybe in your mind you’ll repeat “it isn’t the best, it isn’t the best” and it’s simply that, something that exist in your mind.
Are there even other design schools in the Caribbean? I mean to be fair, it's not a high bar. Among the 10 best in the world? Who's rating these schools, the same folks leaving reviews on Amazon and Yelp?
IMG_0381.jpeg

Reactions: JD Jones

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Are there even other design schools in the Caribbean? I mean to be fair, it's not a high bar. Among the 10 best in the world? Who's rating these schools, the same folks leaving reviews on Amazon and Yelp?
View attachment 9231
Yes there are.

I bet he wouldn’t even be debating if the tooic was about universities because no one in their right mind would say that even the best Dominican university is the best in the Caribbean, but when it comes to Chavón it’s the best of its type in the Caribbean. Perhaps he wouldn’t find it too hard to accept that about Chavon if instead of being based in the DR it was in Petionville from where his wife is from.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Yes there are.

I bet he wouldn’t even be debating if the tooic was about universities because no one in their right mind would say that even the best Dominican university is the best in the Caribbean, but when it comes to Chavón it’s the best of its type in the Caribbean. Perhaps he wouldn’t find it too hard to accept that about Chavon if instead of being based in the DR it was in Petionville from where his wife is from.
It's an overinflated school for spoiled, entitled children of Dominican elites who've been told since birth they are Spanish, not Dominican.

MoJoInDR

Banned
Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas

Well... I can say whatever the mods will allow me to say... But I believe I can say that, as has happened before, you're just speaking nonsense.

I wonder if you know what even makes an art school great.

As for what exists in my mind... Thankfully, it's not the foolishness that you seem to think, and speak.

Thanks for reminding me though.

See ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.