Abnb hosting been a struggle recently

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I was going to discuss this with you until I read your last two sentences. You always cheapen your argument with baiting statements like that. If you are so well traveled, wealthy and an expert on everything, why don’t you start a travel site instead of offering your expertise for free on this forum?
Many people who rent from me are from all over the world, are well traveled and are far from desperate. They are successful, but they don’t need to have their egos boosted by staying in a hotel for $800 per night, and then making sure friends and family know how much they paid.
You completely missed the point. I know of no one who chooses a nice hotel to boost thier ego

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

Big

Apr 24, 2019
This is just a matter of preference. Coming from a business travel culture, I always prefer and appreciate a nice hotel, a well-oiled machine if you will, of staff, ambiance, security, cuisine and quality. That has carried over to my private life when I travel with my kids as well. Airbnb is a business, and if you're on the ownership end and making some nice, honest supplemental income, that's very respectable. It is not my personal preference and I sure can understand how folks coming from the business travel culture don't prefer to be hassled by some of the inconveniences seen with an abb deal, such as the uncomfortable situation one of our lovely members MariaR posted.
Nicely wrapped up, as usual.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are plenty of mid to high end luxury villas/houses/apts listed & not for the budget traveler. Thou I’ve been down on Airbnb based solely on my experiences a bit of research could help before making non factual generalized statements

Exactly. One of Mr AE’s brothers is married and they have three married children. They live in Santo Domingo. As a group they often rent large villas (Casa de Campo, Las Terranas, etc) for long weekends, 4-5 days. They prefer it to a hotel where they’d all be in separate rooms. Has worked out well for them for years.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Exactly. One of Mr AE’s brothers is married and they have three married children. They live in Santo Domingo. As a group they often rent large villas (Casa de Campo, Las Terranas, etc) for long weekends, 4-5 days. They prefer it to a hotel where they’d all be in separate rooms. Has worked out well for them for years.
Do they have a goto place or do they search online each time they go?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Well put, thank you, now if the other poster is considering Casa de Campo with large villas to be for "budget-travelers" as well, then I stand corrected.

Same on the North Coast and in EU, plenty of very high priced locations on Airbnb...

We're the same, a hotel would not make any sense, we want to relax, have our own pool, the kids their room, and we don't want to dress up with the kids for just to go eat something...

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Well put, thank you, now if the other poster is considering Casa de Campo with large villas to be for "budget-travelers" as well, then I stand corrected.

Same on the North Coast and in EU, plenty of very high priced locations on Airbnb...

We're the same, a hotel would not make any sense, we want to relax, have our own pool, the kids their room, and we don't want to dress up with the kids for just to go eat something...
you are referring to me. Casa de Campo is not a condo/apartment rental. It is a niche market. Let's call it a 1% of the islands market. By and large rental apps are for budget conscious customers. Which is OK, however they will not put the Marriotts, Hiltons and Barcelo groups out of business. To the contrary, after staying in a location they enjoy they might consider a proven brand and not having to read sticky notes to turn on the A/C and coffee machine.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
There is a difference between those who rent villas (Case de Campo, Cap Cana, etc..) and those who rent your "average" Airbnb. My brother has a place in Cap Cana which he rents at times. It is expensive so those that rent it are not your average person looking to save money by staying at an Airbnb. Deposit is higher as well as cleaning fee, etc... It works for some such as those looking to stay together, large groups, families...As I said in my previous post, I am not a fan of Airbnb, but it has its appeal to certain travelers.

Mario1208

Dec 27, 2023
Piantini
Not all rental apts as well are for the budget conscious customers especially the ones located within the centric areas. Not a spokesperson nor promoting airbnb on the contrary tired of their shenanigans quick airbnb search will provide photos and descriptions on the amount of premium well decorated/equipped apts with amenities plenty of hotels won’t offer.
you are referring to me. Casa de Campo is not a condo/apartment rental. It is a niche market. Let's call it a 1% of the islands market. By and large rental apps are for budget conscious customers. Which is OK, however they will not put the Marriotts, Hiltons and Barcelo groups out of business. To the contrary, after staying in a location they enjoy they might consider a proven brand and not having to read sticky notes to turn on the A/C and coffee machine.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I usually travel by myself and always book into a hotel. However, a while ago I travelled with a family of three and it made much more sense to book an apartment (I did it with Booking.com) than pay for separate hotel rooms. We were all happy with the result.

Reactions: Mario1208

Mario1208

Dec 27, 2023
Piantini
Each apt owner has their distinct taste in decor based on their budget & occupation plans. Considering I spend a considerable amount of time at the apt when I’m there I’ve never cheaped out on decor/amenities to save a few dollars. Same could be said for other airbnb host.