Abortion rights in the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I wrote two articles on the issue of abortion rights in the DR back in 2009

I know that the DR changes its Constitution Very Easily... (think Thursday to Monday)

Could anyone tell me if this ban is STILL in the DR Constitution

And
WHAT has been the effect???

(I know that there was at least one case of a 13 year old forced to give birth)

Last edited by a moderator:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I wrote two articles on the issue of abortion rights in the DR back in 2009

I know that the DR changes its Constitution Very Easily... (think Thursday to Monday)

Could anyone tell me if this ban is STILL in the DR Constitution

And
WHAT has been the effect???

(I know that there was at least one case of a 13 year old forced to give birth)
Here in the DR there is a proposal to make some changes to the law to allow abortion for cases of incest, rape, and danger to the mother. This is supported by rhe president but it hasnt been presented and voted on.

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The DR is a very conservstive society with a strong political influence from the Catholic Church. That is the main reason it has remained as one of the strightest countries in Latin America regarding abortion. All types of abortion are prohibited.

There is another technicality that must be modified first, otherwise any modification to abortion in the DR is subject to being sued and most likely it would be reversed. Namely, the Dominican constitution clearly states that life begins at conception, not at birth. That could be used as an argument against all types of abortion. If life begins at conception, any interruption to that life can be considered murder by law. This would also have implication for whatever doctor does the abortion since they could be charge with murder too.

There is no way around it. In the DR, life begins at conception, aka the moment a sperm enters an egg. People can disagree with that all they want, that is as of right now the law of the land.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The DR is a very conservstive society with a strong political influence from the Catholic Church. That is the main reason it has remained as one of the strightest countries in Latin America regarding abortion. All types of abortion are prohibited.

There is another technicality that must be modified first, otherwise any modification to abortion in the DR is subject to being sued and most likely it would be reversed. Namely, the Dominican constitution clearly states that life begins at conception, not at birth. That could be used as an argument against all types of abortion. If life begins at conception, any interruption to that life can be considered murder by law. This would also have implication for whatever doctor does the abortion since they could be charge with murder too.

There is no way around it. In the DR, life begins at conception, aka the moment a sperm enters an egg. People can disagree with that all they want, that is as of right now the law of the land.
Scientifically life does begin at conception. https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2014/06/13254/ Many on MA side of the argument are very selective in the science they use to argue that an embryo is not alive. My wife has been pro-life for almost as many years as MA has been pro-abortion.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

I wouldn’t attribute the cultural attitude against abortion in the DR to conservatism. I lean more towards it being a machismo based society where women are seen as lower on the social totem pole than men. Sons are worshipped by their mothers, regardless of what socially unacceptable things they do with their lives. Add to this, the misogynistic attitude of the clergy towards women and you have a cumulative effect of oppression against women. The fate of many young women is sealed when they are forced to have their first baby out of wedlock. Someone once posted that Dominican men see it as a duty to impregnate as many women as possible and walk away from their paternal responsibilities. There is a lot of truth in that. Old men in suits or clerical garb should never have the power to determine women’s reproductive rights. It just makes poor women poorer and dooms their offspring to a life of poverty.

Reactions: Auryn

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
How about foreigners (unless you are a citizen and can vote here) butt out of this issue and let the Dominicans only decide what laws affect the regarding abortion.

Mountain Annie - they do sell miscarriage pills here so no one is forced to have a baby if they are decide they made an error having unprotected sex. The issue you noted - did the child's parents decide for her to have the child ? How was she "forced"? Was it the parent's decision,. Had she expressed a desire to terminate it ? - If so it is their business only. Using terms like "forced" are meant to be inflammatory, and frankly don't work.

This issue is one that piques a lot of emotion but one where a sane discussion could be had, and some agreement on middle ground might be reached if everyone stops demagoguing it. And saying 'only women' have a stake in this, remember it takes two. And also we now have been recently taught - men can get pregnant too !

No one knows what a woman actually is anymore. :unsure:

Reactions: NotLurking

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I wouldn’t attribute the cultural attitude against abortion in the DR to conservatism. I lean more towards it being a machismo based society where women are seen as lower on the social totem pole than men. Sons are worshipped by their mothers, regardless of what socially unacceptable things they do with their lives. Add to this, the misogynistic attitude of the clergy towards women and you have a cumulative effect of oppression against women. The fate of many young women is sealed when they are forced to have their first baby out of wedlock. Someone once posted that Dominican men see it as a duty to impregnate as many women as possible and walk away from their paternal responsibilities. There is a lot of truth in that. Old men in suits or clerical garb should never have the power to determine women’s reproductive rights. It just makes poor women poorer and dooms their offspring to a life of poverty.
While I agree with part of your speel, I think if a survey was held the majority of Dominican women would be against abortion in general although I think many would support abortions in the case of incest, rape, or health. I am one that think abortion should be legal before 15 weeks but should be rare. I believe all abortions should be performed in hospitals by doctors with admitting privileges. No specialty for profit clinics. Counselling before and after should be mandatory as well.

Reactions: Auryn and aarhus

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Dominican men (the majority with no education) walk away because they are broke-ass, empty-pocketed and irresponsible children, no matter their ages, who have short arms except for their bottle of cheap rum and big speakers.
You have to respect those that do raise their children and hold real jobs

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Old men in suits or clerical garb should never have the power to determine women’s reproductive rights.

Reproductive Rights are not what is being discussed. That's what the radical lunatic left calls Abortion, it's a word game with them. If a he/she/it wants to disfigure their own genitals (reproductive rights), have at it. But if you want to stop a beating heart that isn't your own, that's a problem.

I doubt you'll see more liberal abortion laws in the DR. The DR is becoming more civilized, not less.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
bob saunders, if abortion should be legal before 15 weeks with counselling as you suggest then I would advocate fathers should have a legal say in that decision.

While I agree with part of your speel, I think if a survey was held the majority of Dominican women would be against abortion in general although I think many would support abortions in the case of incest, rape, or health. I am one that think abortion should be legal before 15 weeks but should be rare. I believe all abortions should be performed in hospitals by doctors with admitting privileges. No specialty for profit clinics. Counselling before and after should be mandatory as well.

Reactions: KyleMackey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
bob saunders, if abortion should be legal before 15 weeks with counselling as you suggest then I would advocate fathers should have a legal say in that decision.
I agree, the sperm donor, if he wants the child and the pregnant mother doesnt he should be able to legally demand the birth of his child as long as he legally accepts full responsibility for the care and support of said child. After all if the woman decided to have the chuld without any input from him he would still be liable for child support. I know many men that wouldnt hesitate.

Reactions: KyleMackey

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
How about foreigners (unless you are a citizen and can vote here) butt out of this issue and let the Dominicans only decide what laws affect the regarding abortion.

Mountain Annie - they do sell miscarriage pills here so no one is forced to have a baby if they are decide they made an error having unprotected sex. The issue you noted - did the child's parents decide for her to have the child ? How was she "forced"? Was it the parent's decision,. Had she expressed a desire to terminate it ? - If so it is their business only. Using terms like "forced" are meant to be inflammatory, and frankly don't work.

This issue is one that piques a lot of emotion but one where a sane discussion could be had, and some agreement on middle ground might be reached if everyone stops demagoguing it. And saying 'only women' have a stake in this, remember it takes two. And also we now have been recently taught - men can get pregnant too !

No one knows what a woman actually is anymore. :unsure:
How about just Dominican women decide. A vote on the issue were only women vote.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
While I agree with part of your speel, I think if a survey was held the majority of Dominican women would be against abortion in general although I think many would support abortions in the case of incest, rape, or health. I am one that think abortion should be legal before 15 weeks but should be rare. I believe all abortions should be performed in hospitals by doctors with admitting privileges. No specialty for profit clinics. Counselling before and after should be mandatory as well
How about just Dominican women decide. A vote on the issue were only women vote.
Are women the only ones affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.